Jupiter will be closest to Earth tomorrow and can hopefully be seen with the naked eye

webfact

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Wikipedia

Astronomers in Thailand are gearing up for a big event tomorrow, Friday 20th, when planetary and solar movements mean that the planet Jupiter will be the closest to the Earth this year.

Hopefully with a clear sky the gas giant will be visible with the naked eye.

Those with 8 inch telescopes with 50x magnification will be able to clearly see the clouds of the largest planet in the solar system, famous for its storms that have been raging for hundreds of years.

A special online event on Facebook from the Narit page will have views from observatories in Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chachoengsao and Songkhla from 8-9 pm tomorrow night. 

9pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Saturn should also be clearer than usual in another direction. 

If you miss it you'll have to wait until September 2022 for another change to see Jupiter so close, reported Naew Na.

Thursday in Thailand - full name Wan Pahreuhatbodee - is named after Jupiter.

In Thailand the planet is associated with knowledge and consequently Teachers' Day is usually held on a Thursday, notes ASEAN NOW's cultural correspondent. 

By Jove! - an exclamation to express surprise or make emphasis - entered the English language in the 14th century as a way to refer to Jupiter. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Better get a top quality telescope for this event. 

Screenshot_20210819_135443.jpg

I purchased a nice little 40mm China-made telescope a few years ago through Lazada , for about US$50- the telespcope is good for looking at things on the earth, and the moon.  But when I turned it to Jupiter, it was all a blur, I could not even see the 4 moons that were visible through a good set of binoculars.  The verdict - the China-made telescope is a piece of <deleted>.  The smaller Germany-made 30mm telescope I used as a kid was much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Hopefully with a clear sky the gas giant will be visible with the naked eye.

I'll take my spectacles off and try to see it... but without them I couldn't see a barn door if I was holding the door handle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can get a good photo of Jupiter with a cheap digital camera on maximum zoom (x16) and viewed on maximum zoom (x16=x256). All cameras have automatic jitter control. More interesting is if one of the large satellites like Io or Europa happen to be transiting Jupiter. The English navy thought about using this as a method of timekeeping before accurate chronometers.

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

Ye Gods, is this article serious? Has the author ever actually gone outside at night, looked up at the night sky and tried to identify the small, flickering things up there? They're not the spirits of your ancestors, you know! Of course Jupiter's visible to the naked eye, it's usually the third brightest object in the night sky, after the moon and Venus.

The author didn't suggest that Jupiter wasn't usually visible to the naked eye given a clear sky. Please don't get carried away; as a scientist try reasoning when you read. 

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Perfect timing for the Thai Space Agency to take a flight to see it up close....Just please take the Good PM and his cabinet upwards and out of here...

They'll be out looking at Uranus if you're not careful.

Both of these telescopes will show Jupiter in good detail. one is 127 mm  or 5 inches, the other is 

203 mm or 8 inches. They are very stable and fun to use. Good to see the planets and stars and 

other faint fuzzys .

Geezer or Stargeezer.

thumbnail_20200515_140135.jpg

22202_AstroFi_102_2_570x380@2x.jpg

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:
19 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Jupiter can always been seen with the naked eye. It's the brightest thing in the sky by far.

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

After the sun and moon, that honour goes to Venus. 

You've both overlooked the ISS. ????