Phuket marks 101 new COVID cases, one more death

webfact

1629481174_1-org.jpg

Image: PPHO

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 101 new local infections on the island yesterday (Aug 20), bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 2,401.

The PPHO report, marked as accurate as of 9pm last night, also marked two news cases of Phuket Sandbox tourists being confirmed as infected.

The report also marked one new death attributed to COVID-19, bringing the total number of deaths in Phuket attributed to COVID-19 since Apr 3 to 17.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-101-new-covid-cases-one-more-death-81128.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-21

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It was when the project was developed. And with the infections not coming from the sandboxers, why should it be stopped?

60 plus infections per day or was it per week?

So the infections grow and it is expanded

Shifting sand or litter in the litter box.

• Like 1

Phuket, just one of the 46 provinces with cases over 100 for the day.  Wonder how many non counted ATK rapid test positive cases there are as well.  Combined numbers would be nice to now as well as where they are from and where they are self isolating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

60 plus infections per day or was it per week?

So the infections grow and it is expanded

Shifting sand or litter in the litter box.

It seems to be completely different now. Just change the rules... 

"No longer are the criteria set out in announcing the “response” plan” and consideration for introducing stricter measures or even suspending the Phuket Sandbox scheme the same as those originally announced.

The 90 infections in one week requirement has been removed, the issue of infections in three districts and infections in at least six subdistricts have also been removed.

Also removed is the 80% hospital bed occupancy limit."

https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-order-revises-conditions-for-suspending-sandbox-scheme-81132.php

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eat your heart out New Zealand!

This is how its done, weeks of CoE running around, reams of paperwork, copies of reams of paperwork, deserted everything on arrival, taxi mafia lined up like starved mosquitoes, weeks of detention, and look at these figures!

As Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a million? It's a statistic sandbox!"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 101 new local infections on the island yesterday (Aug 20), bringing the total number of people recognised as infected with COVID-19 in Phuket since Apr 3 to 2,401.

But nothing to worry about, it's all under control...

where did I hear that before?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The poster you responded to, just does not believe the Sandboxers are in any danger from the locals.  In his view it has been perfect and as a test for tourism has worked perfectly regardless of those vaccinated locals, which was the main point of the sandbox, becoming infected with the possibility of passing it back on to those vaccinated tourists.  It is a slippery slope and precariously balanced on the razors edge.  As the Governor said, "No going back once we open".  Unfortunately brain dead is brain dead, and the folks in power that put this in play are willing to change the goal posts to meet what they consider the best thing for the greater good of tourism..

Familiarity will breed contempt on this for sure.

And when it comes to being blasé about this kind of thing, Thailand can really push the Boat out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

The population of Phuket is around 400,000 and they have 101 cases.

A mute point perhaps, but you have underestimated Phuket's current population.  I have been through this on another thread where like you I underestimated the population.   It's closer to 600,000 people which has a sizeable impact on your calculations.

Edit: Here is a reference: 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/officials-change-definition-of-population-of-phuket-claim-island-74-vaccinated-80369.php

Edited by oldcpu

53 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I was actually making the point that the population was close to 500,000 people (the number of people have dropped since the exodus last year of people living in Phuket) and DaveC held a differnt view from me, saying the number much larger.  Eventually, after my looking more into this, I came around to his view, and noted my original estimates incorrect. 

I note:  The numbers in Phuket news (link in my above post) don't exactly add up, which I guess is no surprise.  I don't think any one really knows the population of Phuket, given last years exodus of people leaving Phuket. ...   Still, I note according to that June-2021 Phuket news article, current estimates (where I assume this is people age-18 and older):
* about 310,000 people registered in Phuket
* about 100,000 people registered in other provinces who work in Phuket
* about  74,000 migrant workers or expats
which adds up to 484,000 people by my calculation.   This exceeds the 466,000 island population estimate the article also mentions.  However this is NOT all the people in Phuket.

The article also notes about 107,000 children under age-18. So 107,000 + 484,000 = 591,000, ... or about 600,000 people in Phuket, including children.

The article gives more numbers, confusing this further, but I now prefer to assume a population of 600,000 people in Phuket.

7 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Covid Virus is undoubtedly spreading across the Island so if it is not coming from the " Sandboxers ", it must be coming from the local population despite the " Mass Vaccinations " that so called took place across the population..

Irrespective of where, and from who, this Virus is gaining ground, the facts are that it is spreading, so therefore needs to be stopped.

It needs to be stopped for the Safety of all the Locals and Sandboxers a like before some kind of serious incident occurs.

It all started with Songkran and all of Thailand traveling every where while the Delta Variant was already around .

That was the time to stop people to get in Phuket and that was the time to stop inter regional traveling . Now it's to late .

And People beeing vaccinated doesn't mean they are not infected . On the opposite they might be infected and asymptomatic ....

Stay safe ... and get vaccinated .

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Eat your heart out New Zealand!

This is how its done, weeks of CoE running around, reams of paperwork, copies of reams of paperwork, deserted everything on arrival, taxi mafia lined up like starved mosquitoes, weeks of detention, and look at these figures!

As Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a million? It's a statistic sandbox!"

Like with many things, if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

My COE took 5 hours from start to finish, except for the nightlife most is open, specially outside Patong.

You can always stay at home.

• Like 1

I do hope the Phuket sandbox is a success, and that lots of businesses can open back up.

However I will wait until next Winter, as this coming Winter will be one of recovery and i

really do not want to see any place that looks like a ghost town. Seeing all the recent videos

of many places in Thailand, there are sure a lot of businesses that are currently closed, and it

makes most of the touristy places look pretty bad.  Just saying.

Not only that but not being able to freely drink on the beach or other places, just makes

me feel that I would not enjoy my holidays if the present rules stay in place. 

Geezer

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I do hope the Phuket sandbox is a success, and that lots of businesses can open back up.

However I will wait until next Winter, as this coming Winter will be one of recovery and i

really do not want to see any place that looks like a ghost town. Seeing all the recent videos

of many places in Thailand, there are sure a lot of businesses that are currently closed, and it

makes most of the touristy places look pretty bad.  Just saying.

Not only that but not being able to freely drink on the beach or other places, just makes

me feel that I would not enjoy my holidays if the present rules stay in place. 

Geezer

Fully understandable.