bank passbook full

hi all ,  Havent been in forum since I left Thailand a few years ago. I lived full time(4 years) in Thailand on the so-called retirement visa and had bank account ( with 800K ) as required.  My Thai partner had access to the account ( black light signature) in back of book. Due to COVID , I have been out of the country for 18 mths now . The passbook is full ( even with added pages). With me NOT BEING IN THAILAND , how can I get the passbook re-newed so my partner can continue to use it. Right now they wont let her use the account until the new passbook is issued...which they wont do without me being there in person !!!!!!     NO sarcastic replies needed ......

I do not know, but ask your partner to contact the bank  and ask if a Power of Attorney, Limited to this function only and a signed copy of your passport which will have to be sent by post/courier.

Try First

It maybe that you have too many pages for them to handle, why not remove the bulk of the pages and  re-staple the last two recent pages then try at another branch as it could just be that particular bank teller.

Unfortunately the bank branches make their own rules or their own interpretation of the same rules.

T.I.T   GOOD LUCK

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

You don't have a debit card you could send her?  Or transfer to her account either from it or from other account until you return?  Banks are not a user friendly experience for many of us here.   I agree above seems to be the only possibility and may have to go over local branch and even that may not work.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You don't have a debit card you could send her?  Or transfer to her account either from it or from other account until you return?  Banks are not a user friendly experience for many of us here.   I agree above seems to be the only possibility and may have to go over local branch and even that may not work.  

Am sending money by transfer thru her own account. Just as "retirement visa" has now lapsed no need to have 800k sitting in account. When able to return I will do so on tourist visa and re-new the whole Non-O visa  malarkey. I appreciate the bank is just "protecting my money" but I was wanting to move it from a term deposit account to a day to day account.

The passbook has both her and my signature  in black light form in back of book with either to use authority. I expected that she could get the book re-newed and I would add my signature when I returned. But .....T. I . T

Edited by novo58
added info

Which bank? There are some bank lurkers here.

Is this a joint account? It sounds like it is.

Do you have any remote access (web or app)?

This issue has come up before, I'd search the forum to solutions.

I guess I'd contact the bank as a first step to see if this can be overcome remotely with some sort of legal documents.

As mentioned previously and based on you follow up comments, the easiest way would be to electronically transfer the money from your account to her account.  My bank account here in Thailand is used for my retirement extensions and for receiving money from our US account.  I then use on-line transfers to move money to my wife’s account to cover household expenses.  It was easy to set up with Bangkok Bank but I don’t recall if I needed to be there in person to it up.

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Passbooks are just another level of Thai bureaucracy. Any other country use them? I don't know of any. I used to live in Bangkok and had my account at the main Bangkok Bank branch. Then I moved to Kalasin Province, but was unable to transfer my account to my local branch. When my book was full I asked at my local branch for a new book and they said, in all seriousness, that I had to travel from Kalasin to Bangkok to do it.

And when I was in Bangkok I went into a branch other than my own to renew my book, and got the default reaction of any bank staff anywhere - Cannot. It was late in the afternoon and I didn't have enough time to get to my branch and would have had to make a lengthy trip back into the city the next day, so I decided to argue about why. Of course, the assistant had no idea, so she called the manager out to see me. And he decided to be helpful and issued the new book. So they could do it if they wanted to.

Very often in Thailand, you have to argue to achieve anything. Of course, it can have to opposite effect and they'll just look right through you and act as if you aren't there.

Your remark: They could do it if they wanted to, is very true. As to just looking through you as if you are not there, applies in many cases and not just banks.

They keep they're mouth shut so as not to look stupid, knowing full well if they open it, they will prove the point. On the other hand, is it just dumb ignorance?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No solution I can think of but a good reminder to ensure people have internet banking and app set up before they leave Thailand

1 hour ago, rwill said:

All I am saying is I went to bank expecting them to give me a new passbook but they just stapled sheets of paper in the back of it.  I didn't miss the point of him being out of Thailand.  And I have no idea why she can't use the account.  If she goes in and asks for a withdrawal they can just staple a piece of paper in the back like they did to me.  There is also the possibility of using an ATM card.  Or using the online or phone app to transfer funds to another account.  Also you can pay in stores with the phone app by asking to scan for payment.

Anyway Thai banks need to change their whole mentality about using passbooks.  Time to advance to the modern world. Of course that would screw immigration up too.

28 minutes ago, statman78 said:

As mentioned previously and based on you follow up comments, the easiest way would be to electronically transfer the money from your account to her account.  My bank account here in Thailand is used for my retirement extensions and for receiving money from our US account.  I then use on-line transfers to move money to my wife’s account to cover household expenses.  It was easy to set up with Bangkok Bank but I don’t recall if I needed to be there in person to it up.

OP is talking about a fixed term savings account, not a day to day savings account.

AFAIK you can't have an ATM/ Internet banking on such accounts. As there are 2 signatories on the account, both have to sign the new book, and probably both have to sign to withdraw money from the account. 

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo

29 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Your remark: They could do it if they wanted to, is very true. As to just looking through you as if you are not there, applies in many cases and not just banks.

They keep they're mouth shut so as not to look stupid, knowing full well if they open it, they will prove the point. On the other hand, is it just dumb ignorance?

Yes, not just banks. I think their blanking you is because in Thai culture you don't challenge anyone and they don't know how to deal with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

OP is talking about a fixed term savings account, not a day to day savings account.

AFAIK you can't have an ATM/ Internet banking on such accounts. As there are 2 signatories on the account, both have to sign the new book, and probably both have to sign to withdraw money from the account. 

But I thought that any account in support of a retirement extension needed to be in your name only. No joint accounts.

And if it is fixed term why is the passbook "full"?

On 8/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, novo58 said:

My Thai partner had access to the account

Not sure what type of "access" the partner had, that they don't have today?

All in all, quite confusing.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Actually the OP by the OP said nothing of the sort - only that it contained 800k.

Try sending a power of attorney specifically for the purpose that you are trying to achieve (in this case, in connection with your bank account number xxxx) along with a signed copy of your documentation (current passbook, passport, address details etc.) along with a covering letter addressed to the bank explaining that you are abroad at the moment (with proof) and that they can call to verify, which in theory should be sufficient

Never had a problem getting a new bank book in a different branch but did have a problem with the 'black light's signature they said was missing. How would I know if I don't have a 'black light' reader? They rang through to my branch for verification???

4 hours ago, rwill said:

LOL.  When my bank book was full I went to SCB and asked them to update it.  They printed out the entries and stapled the sheet in the back.

Same for me. They said they had run out of passbooks because the manufacturer had closed due to covid.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

But I thought that any account in support of a retirement extension needed to be in your name only. No joint accounts.

And if it is fixed term why is the passbook "full"?

Not sure what type of "access" the partner had, that they don't have today?

All in all, quite confusing.

Partner sounds like an authorized user for access to the 800k account, not the legal owner.  No more transactions because the book is full....and bank won't issue a new one to her alone.  He's stuck outside Thailand.  Perfect storm of unfortunate timing and circumstances. ???? 

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The OP does not say that it is a Fixed Term account, but if it were he would get a book with the initial deposit showing. After that there should be no further transactions until the fixed term is up. The account cannot be added to. The book is then discarded with only the one line showing.

But if, as he says, he is sending money to that account monthly and filling the bankbook up quickly, it would probably be a day to day savings account.

Edited by KannikaP

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The OP does not say that it is a Fixed Term account,

In his second post he says...

On 8/22/2021 at 10:31 AM, novo58 said:

I was wanting to move it from a term deposit account to a day to day account.

• Like 1

Looks like you are just making excuses. Many ways for you get be able to get your money to your partner without relying on the bank book. More to the point, why are you also making excuses for not coming to Thailand. It is relatively easy to come to Thailand even on a Tourist visa. Granted its a bit expensive with the quarantine and insurance. I have been in and out twice now in the past 18 months. It depends what your priorities are and seeing your partner is obviously not one of them.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Passbooks are just another level of Thai bureaucracy. Any other country use them? I don't know of any. I used to live in Bangkok and had my account at the main Bangkok Bank branch. Then I moved to Kalasin Province, but was unable to transfer my account to my local branch. When my book was full I asked at my local branch for a new book and they said, in all seriousness, that I had to travel from Kalasin to Bangkok to do it.

And when I was in Bangkok I went into a branch other than my own to renew my book, and got the default reaction of any bank staff anywhere - Cannot. It was late in the afternoon and I didn't have enough time to get to my branch and would have had to make a lengthy trip back into the city the next day, so I decided to argue about why. Of course, the assistant had no idea, so she called the manager out to see me. And he decided to be helpful and issued the new book. So they could do it if they wanted to.

Very often in Thailand, you have to argue to achieve anything. Of course, it can have to opposite effect and they'll just look right through you and act as if you aren't there.

You couldn't transfer your account to Kalasin, but you could have moved your money to your new local bank. I changed places several times and instead of going to the original branch i withdraw nearly all the money and deposited it in a new account. The original bank than closed the account.

• Like 2