continuing saga of simulating a US presence

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

And you trust the clouds and all these big companies with access to your info WHY???????

1.  I trust the banks and brokers.

2.  Google is a competent organization, more than the banks.

3.  There is personal information there, but no sensitive information, such as passwords.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The OP provides some valuable information on alternatives to local storage, but.....

Generally I don't trust cloud storage, especially the free Gobble and Microslut versions.

Anything free makes you the product regardless of their privacy claims. Admittedly I'm a privacy tin foil (really aluminum foil since I couldn't find a cheap source of tin foil and lead foil is too heavy) hat guy.

Even if they are reputable their site can be hacked.

And if you have to be careful about what you put in the cloud such as passwords/photos/bank info then you still must have another secure place to keep those things.

At that point why not just use a NAS hidden at your house? 

Personally I use an external 1tb USB drive and two 500gb thumb drives that I sync regularly by hand. I hide the thumb drives.

Such a pity that wonderful things like the internet and social media so quickly become liabilities and vulnerabilities. You must have an advanced degree in data security and a healthy dose of paranoia to feel safe now. At least I have one of those !

Modern life.

You have to get over the fear of the cloud.  Everything is in the cloud.  I understand that the CIA keeps its information in Microsoft's cloud.  Probably the banks and brokers keep their information in a cloud, either their own or some vendor's.  Notice that you have no actual instances to report of theft of data from cloud storage to report.  So, it's a kind of superstition.

The other side of it is that it is naive to believe that your information is safer because it is physically closer to you.  Since your computer is on the internet and subject to attack through email, downloads, accessing websites, etc. it's not necessarily safer in your apartment.  Thumb drives fail, as you know, but at least you are using more than one of them.  

Our information would not necessarily be safer on a NAS, nor would it be as accessible.  In particular, I need to be sure that we can access our key apps remotely and individually.  As it happens having a vm in the cloud addresses those needs uniquely well.  Our sensitive information such as credentials to access bank and brokerage accounts is already in the cloud of the password manager app.  I am not at all worried about the safety of that information.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

1.  I trust the banks and brokers.

2.  Google is a competent organization, more than the banks.

3.  There is personal information there, but no sensitive information, such as passwords.

Google is NOT your friend:
The 2018 Google data breach was a major scandal in late 2018 when Google engineers discovered a software leakage within the Google+ API used in the social media network.

5 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Just talking "in general" here.

What would one need to be doing or wanting to do, to make the set-up explained, worth one's while?

In general then, suppose you wanted to make a plan for how your wife takes over for you in the event that you become incapacitated or actually shuffle of the mortal coil.  You need to make sure that the information is complete and up-to-date and that your wife is familiar with how to find and use it.  The information is not just declarative, spelling out what steps to take in some case in a document, but also functional, such as how to pay bills and manage investments.  Then she needs to be trained in how to use the applications necessary and you need to be sure that she will have access.  

It's not easy to setup a pc at home that is going to be accessible, easy enough for a layman to use, and highly available.  A Google Cloud Platform vm together with a password manager based on a different cloud meets all those those requirements far better than any home setup.

Another use case is extended travel.  I could set up a vpn into my home computer that would be safe enough, but sooner or later my home computer is going to require cycling the power to clear a hang or something.  If we were in Europe at the time we would be sol.  I certainly wouldn't want to be lugging all that data around with me on a laptop that could be lost or stolen.  With the Google vm, all I need is a chromebook with no personal information on it at all.

If the costs come down in the future I would consider moving everything into the cloud keeping only the chromebook.

10 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You have to get over the fear of the cloud.  Everything is in the cloud.  I understand that the CIA keeps its information in Microsoft's cloud.  Probably the banks and brokers keep their information in a cloud, either their own or some vendor's.  Notice that you have no actual instances to report of theft of data from cloud storage to report.  So, it's a kind of superstition.

The other side of it is that it is naive to believe that your information is safer because it is physically closer to you.  Since your computer is on the internet and subject to attack through email, downloads, accessing websites, etc. it's not necessarily safer in your apartment.  Thumb drives fail, as you know, but at least you are using more than one of them.  

Our information would not necessarily be safer on a NAS, nor would it be as accessible.  In particular, I need to be sure that we can access our key apps remotely and individually.  As it happens having a vm in the cloud addresses those needs uniquely well.  Our sensitive information such as credentials to access bank and brokerage accounts is already in the cloud of the password manager app.  I am not at all worried about the safety of that information.  

I disconnect my backup drives after syncing. I'm well aware that they are accessible from my computer. Likewise an ether net NAS can simply be unplugged.

No, my data has never been stolen, but the news every day has instances of some that is. Please don't try to make a case that it doesn't happen regularly, even to the government and military.

Unlike you I don't have multiple users to support.

I'm glad your situation works well for you, as mine does for me.

As for my fear of cloud storage, I'll hang onto that thank you. What and who somebody else trusts with their data has little influence on my choices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Google is NOT your friend:
The 2018 Google data breach was a major scandal in late 2018 when Google engineers discovered a software leakage within the Google+ API used in the social media network.

Not a very compelling counter-argument.  The Google Plus episode may have leaked names, email addresses, occupations, genders, and ages.  Or maybe not.

• Like 1
Just now, cmarshall said:

Not a very compelling counter-argument.  The Google Plus episode may have leaked names, email addresses, occupations, genders, and ages.  Or maybe not.

A leak is a leak is a leak. Maybe is maybe is maybe.

The fact that it didn't happen on a large scale, yet, is not compelling either.

The ways to store and access data are as diverse as users' needs. Your solution works for you but isn't a universal panacea.

• Like 1

It’s getting harder to simulate a US presence. I have bank accounts and a credit card with a famous New York bank. They use an outside service and you have to give an American cell phone that’s in your name at the address you say you are in America and that most of the calls are made in that area to verify with them I got a tea mobile pre-paid, but that didn’t work they wanted to postpaid basically, if you’re overseas they want to know and they may not want you to have an account or have one on worse terms.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, flbkk said:

It’s getting harder to simulate a US presence. I have bank accounts and a credit card with a famous New York bank. They use an outside service and you have to give an American cell phone that’s in your name at the address you say you are in America and that most of the calls are made in that area to verify with them I got a tea mobile pre-paid, but that didn’t work they wanted to postpaid basically, if you’re overseas they want to know and they may not want you to have an account or have one on worse terms.

There is not and never will be any guarantee that we will be able to continue to simulate a US presence in the future sufficient to conduct our financial affairs.  Some of the functions from some of my banks, such as doing a Zelle transfer, can only be performed in the smartphone app with location turned on.  The browser in your desktop computer can report your location almost as precisely as GPS, if you let it.  They could start requiring that.  I have two US phone numbers and couldn't get Microsoft to accept either one the other day, because they are both VOIP.  

If you think that's bad, just imagine what happens after the next 9/11 type incident and the corresponding updates to the Patriot Act.  What if your US broker requires an annual copy of a US electric bill with your name on it to keep your account open.  

So, everything still works for me, but it's fragile.  In fact, I consider the likeliest reason that I would have to move back to the US would be just to be able to retain my retirement accounts.  God, I hope it doesn't come to that.

Edited by cmarshall
30 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

A leak is a leak is a leak. Maybe is maybe is maybe.

The fact that it didn't happen on a large scale, yet, is not compelling either.

The ways to store and access data are as diverse as users' needs. Your solution works for you but isn't a universal panacea.

Did I mention any panacea?

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

There is not and never will be any guarantee that we will be able to continue to simulate a US presence in the future sufficient to conduct our financial affairs.  Some of the functions from some of my banks, such as doing a Zelle transfer, can only be performed in the smartphone app with location turned on.  The browser in your desktop computer can report your location almost as precisely as GPS, if you let it.  They could start requiring that.  I have two US phone numbers and couldn't get Microsoft to accept either one the other day, because they are both VOIP.  

If you think that's bad, just imagine what happens after the next 9/11 type incident and the corresponding updates to the Patriot Act.  What if your US broker requires an annual copy of a US electric bill with your name on it to keep your account open.  

So, everything still works for me, but it's fragile.  In fact, I consider the likeliest reason that I would have to move back to the US would be just to be able to retain my retirement accounts.  God, I hope it doesn't come to that.

For those above, why have a US presence then? 

For example, my main broker - Interactive - is quite happy that I am all over the World.  I am not even American, just have to complete WEN8B to trade US stocks.

But what happens for folk without a mobile?  r a smart mobile?  Pr who libe not in an area not covered by a mobile signal?

PH

Edited by Phulublub
5 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

For those above, why have a US presence then? 

For example, my main broker - Interactive - is quite happy that I am all over the World.  I am not even American, just have to complete WEN8B to trade US stocks.

But what happens for folk without a mobile?  r a smart mobile?  Pr who libe not in an area not covered by a mobile signal?

PH

If you're an American, you know already.  If you're not American, then it's not worth explaining.  

3 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

If you're an American, you know already.  If you're not American, then it's not worth explaining.  

I can understand the security aspects, but other than that, to an outsider, smacks of some underhand reasons, frankly.   Since the authorities will know from your passport that you are not in the US, why bother?

PH

• Like 1

I am an American, and I still do not understand....

I have a US bank account and use a friend's address and tel. #. THEIR telephone #. Never had a problem, and I have never been to where they live. A presence in the US does me very little good, but I have had it for more than 20 years....

For investing, the last thing I would want to do is simulate a US address.

For investing you need a passport plus other info that is not easily made up....

My dad died about 9 years ago and at that time each person was allowed somewhere close to $1mil tax free. If you have more than that, easy to move it around a bit. 

If you are making BIG time money you leave Thailand once or more a year, and show yourself living in one of at least 100 places. 

If I was really doing a lot of investing I would create an offshore company in HK or somewhere else...

And, I have a password manager. Impt. sites have complicated passwords that I do not need to remember... 

So, I am still not at all understanding why I would need to try and hide where I am living. Help me understand this please.

Edited by charliebadenhop
4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

What about the apps on my iPhone ? Hulu, Netflix, banks, etc. I use VPN still. Or you are saying the VM can also take care of my phone apps ? Thx. Very interesting topic.

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

I have a US bank account and use a friend's address and tel. #. THEIR telephone #. Never had a problem, and I have never been to where they live. A presence in the US does me very little good, but I have had it for more than 20 years....

For investing you need a passport plus other info that is not easily made up....

My dad died about 9 years ago and at that time each person was allowed somewhere close to $1mil tax free. If you have more than that, easy to move it around a bit. 

If you are making BIG time money you leave Thailand once or more a year, and show yourself living in one of at least 100 places. 

If I was really doing a lot of investing I would create an offshore company in HK or somewhere else...

And, I have a password manager. Impt. sites have complicated passwords that I do not need to remember... 

So, I am still not at all understanding why I would need to try and hide where I am living. Help me understand this please.

Many U.S. financial institutions want nothing to do with expats.

Next

7 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The U.S. government had my entire life history on their computer system due to my three top secret background investigations.  All on allegedly very secure computer systems.

Mine and thousands of other people's life history stolen by hackers. 

5 hours ago, XtraFly said:

What about the apps on my iPhone ? Hulu, Netflix, banks, etc. I use VPN still. Or you are saying the VM can also take care of my phone apps ? Thx. Very interesting topic.

I wasn't, but it could be done.  I understand that Windows 11 will run Android apps.  I still use a vpn for some purposes including my Android phone.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Then probably you're not someone who needs it.  

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

The U.S. government had my entire life history on their computer system due to my three top secret background investigations.  All on allegedly very secure computer systems.

Mine and thousands of other people's life history stolen by hackers. 

But you believe your home computer is safer?