30 Years Ago. Flying Marco Polo Class. Cathay Pacific. Carrying Bung Fodder. How many of you are old enough to have done this?

My Dear Friends,

I guess that I am about your age, or maybe a bit older. 

Now that I am almost too old to continue living, no one can blame me for recalling the good old days of Asia. Very few of you will recollect flying over the hump. And, this was before my time, as well.

Yet, I recall so many other great things about my life in Asia, such as free premium cheese aboard Cathay Pacific, from Hong Kong to Beijing. I recall eating so much Stilton during that flight that, even to this day, I can still taste it.

I imagine that I am sort of like you. Probably you, too, have spent most of your life in Asia, one country or another, before decamping to Thailand.

I recall that, while waiting in the First-Class lounge of Marco Polo Club, more than 30 years ago, one of my fellow passengers pulled from his carry-on bag a large roll of Bung Fodder.  He told me that, where he was going, bung fodder was in very short supply.

If you are like me, and if you are also living in Thailand, then you will appreciate the very many comforts of life here, compared to elsewhere in Asia, that we are fortunate enough to enjoy. Thailand has always been a comfortable haven for many of us, both in the past and, also, now.

During these difficult times, sometimes we might become frustrated due to very minor inconveniences. And therefore, we must just keep our cool, and remain appreciative and thankful, still.

Because, in spite of very minor inconveniences, we are lucky to reside in one of the best places in Asia.

Kind people.

Adequate infrastructure.

Good housing.

And, so much more.

I have lived in many other places in Asia, and this place is the best.  Also, I am learning the language.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I guess that I am about your age, or maybe a bit older. 

Now that I am almost too old to continue living, no one can blame me for recalling the good old days of Asia. Very few of you will recollect flying over the hump. And, this was before my time, as well.

and I about your age ( I just know ).

One always tends to remember the good parts of how it used to be in the Good Old Days, and for the son of a white upper middle class man with money ( unfortunately I didn't have his talent for making money and he didn't give me much of his ) it really was the good days.

Flying in the 70s ( prior to that my international travel was on passenger liners traveling the way it should be done- leisurely and in style ) was often an adventure. On one charter flight from Singapore to the UK the elderly plane was so decrepit that it broke down over Turkey and we had a whole day to explore Istanbul. Great day I had too. Topkapi palace, lunch overlooking the Bosphorous, the Harem, the Sophia mosque etc.

When I finally got back to the hotel, no water in the shower- yuk.

While air travel is now more efficient and trouble free, it was much more enjoyable flying in the 70s, IMO.

• Like 1

Isnt it strange how the more we go forward (age) the more and further back we think and reflect.

I never even thought about previous decades and experiences etc until I turned about 50 ish,from then on it seems to increase in frequency more and more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Isnt it strange how the more we go forward (age) the more and further back we think and reflect.

I never even thought about previous decades and experiences etc until I turned about 50 ish,from then on it seems to increase in frequency more and more.

Back in the day we lived for the day.

And we didn’t have so much to look back upon.

• Like 2

The flights through Asia on my first RTW trips were near empty - easily affording us the center seats where we could have a row of five seats to stretch out in... 

I do remember one time on a flight out of Burma being asked, all 8 of us passengers, to move our seats to help distribute the weight for take-off on the way to Kathmandu... and heigh heigh, aweigh away we went - our youth blossoming in fearless travail, off and oft to flight in pursuit of life's next adventure, the Yak and Yeti, ahoy, and beyond, 

Sitting in the bar of the A380 with my 4 year old Son playing games on the iPad.

Me drinking a single Malt, Him drinking a glass of milk and eating an M&M Sandwich he’d made himself. 

Wife up front, fast asleep.... 

Somewhat better than crossing Kazakhstan in a ’something’ with round windows (a propeller plane rather than  jet) wooden tray tables and rickety seats, being called to see the Pilots who were chain-smoking so heavily I could hardly see, so I joined them !

Negotiating to get myself onto a mail flight from Tioman Island to Singapore, landing at the Military airport in Singapore.

Getting to Hat-Yai Airport 5 mins after scheduled takeoff and still able take the flight!

All the memories are recalled with an element of rose-tintedness as we forget the irritations and hassles and in some cases reason we were there in the first place.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The flights through Asia on my first RTW trips were near empty - easily affording us the center seats where we could have a row of five seats to stretch out in... 

I do remember one time on a flight out of Burma being asked, all 8 of us passengers, to move our seats to help distribute the weight for take-off on the way to Kathmandu... and heigh heigh, aweigh away we went - our youth blossoming in fearless travail, off and oft to flight in pursuit of life's next adventure, the Yak and Yeti, ahoy, and beyond, 

Not a 737, obviously.

Years ago, we would exit out the stern of the aircraft, down a flight of stairs, to the tarmac.

The "stairs" were built into the aircraft.

The engines were often kept running.  And, who is unable to recall the smell of JP-4, even to this day?

I LOVE the smell of jet fuel.

Smells like....VICTORY!

VMU-Edwards-AFB-Sept.-1967-P41953.jpg.dc94e2a261f7e7f0c354f11c74b56a31.jpg

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not a 737, obviously.

Years ago, we would exit out the stern of the aircraft, down a flight of stairs, to the tarmac.

The "stairs" were built into the aircraft.

The engines were often kept running.  And, who is unable to recall the smell of JP-4, even to this day?

I LOVE the smell of jet fuel.

Smells like....VICTORY!

VMU-Edwards-AFB-Sept.-1967-P41953.jpg.dc94e2a261f7e7f0c354f11c74b56a31.jpg

Back in the day, I was getting a flight from Southampton to Liverpool with Vulcan Air (How far wrong can you go with Spock at the controls).  I was glad that I ran out to the plane, as I had the choice of two seats left, and I didn’t fancy driving after a couple of beers at the airport.  A young man in a white shirt came out, walked once round the plane, kicked the tyres and drove off.  I’m sure he was looking at a road atlas as we flew North, and he was forever fiddling with the altimeter. I almost leaned over to say “I think that’s important and you shouldn’t fiddle with it” , when he pointed out the Runcorn Bridge below us, lit up in its majesty. Suddenly he side slipped and wheeled right, and we were down at Speke Airport “Sorry, we had to turn quickly to get in before another plane”. 
Weighing up the pros and cons, I think that was a better option than the earlier flight to Manchester, but the deciding factor was the couple of pints at Eastleigh Airport

First time to Hong Kong with Cathay and landing at Kai Tak; what an experience.  Xmas 1989 and everything open, bustling City and 18 degrees C. Perfect.  Then on the way home 23:00 flight leaving for the UK on the  31st December. Pilot asked us which of the 8 (or 9 cant quite remember) New Years would would like to 'see in'.  For quite a few of us, celebrations for the first 5 until everyone was sound asleep.

While we’re on the Reminiss..

Three of us from The Old Country met up to go to Hong Kong. Stepping off the plane at Kai Tak was like a clap in the chops with a warm flannel, and I let the young lad, who’d interned there the year previous, lead the way.  He’d arranged a bevvy with his brother in Lan Kwai Fong, and we were shortly sat down.

”Whair you boys fi?” asks the Chinese waiter. “Ah’m fi Dunfermline”

I woke up early, back in the apartment, and walked down into town. At the lower part of the hill, the path took me past some shops selling stuff that looked like it was supposed to be eaten, though for the life of me, I can’t imagine why.  Then down to the main road, with the big signs in Chinese and the trams clanking by, and it all seemed a bit foreign.  I crossed the road, and then my ears pricked up - I followed the sound of The Bagpipes, to Northpoint Logistic Depot, where the HK Ambulance Corp Pipe Band were practising.

”Aye, I think this is going to be OK” I thought to myself

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Stepping off the plane at Kai Tak was like a clap in the chops with a warm flannel,

That brings back the memories.

I arrived In Singapore on a Hercules and as we exited via the rear ramp the hot clammy air wrapped itself around me like a wet blanket, and there was an overpowering smell of rotting vegetation. The air was always hot and clammy ( I'd be soaked in sweat within 5 minutes of leaving the airconditioning ), but I never again smelt that rotting odour.

Had I known how fantastic the next couple of years were to be I'd have been so happy I'd have wet myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That brings back the memories.

I arrived In Singapore on a Hercules and as we exited via the rear ramp the hot clammy air wrapped itself around me like a wet blanket, and there was an overpowering smell of rotting vegetation. The air was always hot and clammy ( I'd be soaked in sweat within 5 minutes of leaving the airconditioning ), but I never again smelt that rotting odour.

Had I known how fantastic the next couple of years were to be I'd have been so happy I'd have wet myself.

Sipi posted something similar a few posts back

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

First time to Hong Kong with Cathay and landing at Kai Tak; what an experience.  Xmas 1989 and everything open, bustling City and 18 degrees C. Perfect.  Then on the way home 23:00 flight leaving for the UK on the  31st December. Pilot asked us which of the 8 (or 9 cant quite remember) New Years would would like to 'see in'.  For quite a few of us, celebrations for the first 5 until everyone was sound asleep.

Landing at Kai Tak was never so easy for new pilots.

And, looking left from the cockpit, you could see the so-called walled city.

And, going into the walled city, there were many glorious sights, and an entire harmonious community.

55ca35e2dd0895f46e8b4657.jpg.0570149f523d717ccf680e7a0dfd7cf6.jpg

Much of Hong Kong no longer exists.

And, since the glory days of Hong Kong are now pretty much over, then what is the point of living...almost.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, going into the walled city, there were many glorious sights, and an entire harmonious community.

And, since the glory days of Hong Kong are now pretty much over, then what is the point of living...almost.

Very similar to what could be seen in Sembawang village on the way to the Singapore Naval Base, but considering they were Chinese too, only to be expected.

A way of life also non existent in Singapore, I'd believe.

Actually, reminiscing, for me anyway, is different to what I would have expected.

I love thinking about some of the old places I've visited, and thankfully to YouTube we can actually revisit them.

But I rarely, if ever, think about people.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am not sure that the walled city was entirely harmonious - maybe many were not allowed to sing.

Glory days may be the best of times, or the worst of times, depending on whom you ask.

Better to make the best of the days that you have than to complain about the bad days and gloat about the good.  

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day, I was getting a flight from Southampton to Liverpool with Vulcan Air (How far wrong can you go with Spock at the controls).  I was glad that I ran out to the plane, as I had the choice of two seats left, and I didn’t fancy driving after a couple of beers at the airport.  A young man in a white shirt came out, walked once round the plane, kicked the tyres and drove off.  I’m sure he was looking at a road atlas as we flew North, and he was forever fiddling with the altimeter. I almost leaned over to say “I think that’s important and you shouldn’t fiddle with it” , when he pointed out the Runcorn Bridge below us, lit up in its majesty. Suddenly he side slipped and wheeled right, and we were down at Speke Airport “Sorry, we had to turn quickly to get in before another plane”. 
Weighing up the pros and cons, I think that was a better option than the earlier flight to Manchester, but the deciding factor was the couple of pints at Eastleigh Airport

We in the colonies are incapable of writing English like this, like the way English should be treated, if only we knew how.

True English wordsmiths are unknown in the colonies.

In the colonies, we speak and write a different language, just as fine, but not English.

It's like Stilton cheese. There is only one place to get the real thing.

26 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am not sure that the walled city was entirely harmonious - maybe many were not allowed to sing.

Glory days may be the best of times, or the worst of times, depending on whom you ask.

Better to make the best of the days that you have than to complain about the bad days and gloat about the good.  

In order to say for sure, (or fairly sure), then one might have needed to first measure the level of "happiness" before and after the destruction of the walled city. And, as you say, without any hard data from any longitudinal study, then one cannot justifiably gloat, either way.

All that I know is that, after the walled city was demolished, I was still able to have a decent lamb vindaloo, here:

chungking-mansion-building-nathan-road-tsim-sha-tsui-hong-kong-2BJ6EXH.jpg.b0d96593fc3215ec4f537103a21ab6e8.jpg

2b8bc0bc-f892-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_image_hires_174253.webp

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In order to say for sure, (or fairly sure), then one might have needed to first measure the level of "happiness" before and after the destruction of the walled city. And, as you say, without any hard data from any longitudinal study, then one cannot justifiably gloat, either way.

All that I know is that, after the walled city was demolished, I was still able to have a decent lamb vindaloo, here:

chungking-mansion-building-nathan-road-tsim-sha-tsui-hong-kong-2BJ6EXH.jpg.b0d96593fc3215ec4f537103a21ab6e8.jpg

2b8bc0bc-f892-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_image_hires_174253.webp 131.53 kB · 0 downloads

Lamb vindaloo? You are a victim of your own fancy.  You may enjoy a mutton vindaloo, but regardless of the shortness of dressing or tightness of the vinyl in which you wrap it, that’s mutton.