Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine

webfact

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Baby boomers. Born in a time of relative plenty, with free health, dental, optical. Free University education - my Ma was paid to go.

When mines, shipyards et al were still open if you didn't.

When a tiny dump of a house did not cost a quarter of a million Pounds. They seem to think the world is still that way...

Was that the UK? Didn't apply to every country on the planet and this isn't a UK forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

This and every other post like it, are incredibly indicative of what a bunch or miserable smug old fox the majority of posters on here are.

I personally would rather regret taking the chance than staying indoors to wither and die waiting for a normal that is never going to happen. 

Some folks are living, others stay home and argue about the virus. I know who I would rather be counted amongst.

That's absolutely fine, just so long as you don't go to the media and complain about how hard done by you are if it all goes horribly wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's absolutely fine, just so long as you don't go to the media and complain about how hard done by you are if it all goes horribly wrong.

And expect people to have a whip round to bale your pathetic self pitying backside out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

You missed the point 35,000 infected UK citizens per day can home quarantine. A returning citizen, infected or not, is restricted to a hotel.

More accurately, when returning from a UK declared red zone.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#red-list

4 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

You missed the point 35,000 infected UK citizens per day can home quarantine. A returning citizen, infected or not, is restricted to a hotel.

I wouldn't be the only one to point out that they could be bringing back a new and more virulent strain of the disease, and IMO home quarantine is a nonsense. Who reckons they could ensure thousands of people don't break quarantine if staying at home?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You were complaining about "baby boomers" in general, on this forum. Nothing to say that only UK baby boomers were posting.

No, I was commenting not complaining.

No amount of deflection makes what I said any less true.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

You may call me a thick retired infantryman ( better men than you have Gungha Din) but how can "recent graduates" have been so remarkably dense to have embarked on such a trip under the prevailing conditions?

Surely you ain't surprised, are you?

1 minute ago, baboon said:

No, I was commenting not complaining.

No amount of deflection makes what I said any less true.

Seemed to me that you were not being nice to baby boomers, and yes it was true, apparently, but only for those that were in the UK or in another country that was as generous. Certainly never applied to me, but I didn't live in the UK.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

They did qualify that by stating they expect the variants to have no effect though.

Having said that, I think it is the correct decision. There is a serious lack of confidence in Thailands ability to add numbers up correctly.

Very wise indeed

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I arrived from the UK in May on a STV. Currently stamped in till November. If nothing changes and I can't extend further then it is 10 days in an amber country first or worse case the hotel quarantine.

Fully aware of the risks at the time of booking, anyone who wasn't should not have been allowed to travel without an adult. 

STV is no longer available but since already issued you should be entitled to one further 90 days extension.

6 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Apart from Emergency reasons i just do not understand why people want to travel out of their own country the way things are now and are expected to be for some time to come.    When i was a Kid we would have holidays inside our own country; often in Tents or Caravans/Chalets etc and all the family were joyfully happy, the Adults just to get a break from work.

Seems to me today people have itchy asses and can't sit still for more than a few days without wanting to 'get away' from wherever they are for no particuar reason.  Back when we only had two weeks paid holiday a year; Christmas Day and Boxing Day off with Good Friday and Easter Monday and the odd Bank Holiday people seemd to be a lot more sensible than they are now.

I like travel too and up until 2019 we travelled a lot since retirement to many different Continents and places but since the Pandemic got underway we have ceased to travel either outside or inside Thailand and that will remain the case until we feel it's safe and sensible enough to go anywhere, as we are quite happy at home.

As for 'Gap Years'; i never knew what it even meant back when and most certainly i would never have been well off enough to take any 'Gaps' to go wandering off into the Sunset and my Parents would have laughed at me if i had such crazy idea's and for sure they wouldn't have financed me either !

At least you admit to being trapped in the past.  Most on here think they have a clue.

Things change. That time has passed, priorities are different.

Edited by n00dle
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whatever, did they not consider that something might go wrong in a time of world pandemic?

Also, she should not have traveled if they were unable to fund their return in the event of problems. Seems some never consider what might go wrong, and live in some sort of lala land where everything is perfect, all the time. IMO this is in the same category as not having insurance.

However not alone by any means. Some NZ travelers were trapped in Australia when the travel "bubble" opened and closed again when corona started raging. Perhaps people will think twice before going on a jaunt to another country when lockdowns are being imposed all over the world.

Hahaha...we should take a poll on who on this thread is outside Thailand. That would at least partly explain the slightly bitter attitudes exuded here.

You would be in Thailand in a heartbeat, if you could. Unfortunately you, unlike the subject of this thread, ran out of funds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. I went from school to a real job, working 84 hours a week. I never had an overseas holiday till I was in my thirties

Don't expect me to have sympathy for privileged youths that think it's OK to go on exotic holidays when millions are losing their life savings, due to lockdowns.

Im sorry your life sucked and you are threatened by the notion that someone younger than you can arrange their life in a way that means they dont live to work.

Edited by n00dle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

At least you admit to being trapped in the past.  Most on here think they have a clue.

Things change. That time has passed, priorities are different.

I never felt 'trapped' then and i never have since.   My main 'Priority' has always been to keep myself and my loved ones safe !

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

To travel without sufficient economy is always a risk. Not only during a pandemic. That is something people have very hard to get their head around. If you do not have a minimum of 4 - 5k left after travelling your should stay home and work instead. And that is a bare minimum! Idiots!

Rubbish, you know how little people have savings of that amount. Does that mean they should always stay home? I didnt have those savings until well in my twenties but have been travelling since 18. No regrets, even if hit some tough times with low cash. 

If I were them I would fly to Europe and stay in hostel for two weeks then get back. Things will probably get worse before better here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Im sorry your life sucked and you are threatened by the notion that someone younger than you were could arranged their life in a way were they didnt live to work.

Probably by one of those damn commie 'graduates', too...????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Hahaha...we should take a poll on who on this thread is outside Thailand. That would at least partly explain the slightly bitter attitudes exuded here.

You would be in Thailand in a heartbeat, if you could. Unfortunately you, unlike the subject of this thread, ran out of funds.

Yes I left Thailand because I couldn't afford the insurance. I did the right thing because I was taking responsibility for myself.

I didn't stay on in Thailand, though I could have, and when I needed hospital treatment for something serious started a go fund me thing so other people could give me money.

Unfortunately you, unlike the subject of this thread, ran out of funds.

end quote

What on earth are you talking about? The subjects of the thread don't have enough money to pay quarantine in the UK, or did you miss that?

• Like 2