Which WAN IP address to use with 3BB / Huawei HG8145V5?

j.a.farang001

I'm setting up my NVR client to be able to view the NVR remotely via my mobile phone on the AIS network.

When I hit https://whatsmyip.com, I get one IP address in the 171.x.x.x range, but if I log into the HG8145 and look at the WAN configuration page, it shows a totally different WAN IP address in the 100.x.x.x range.

My NVR client, using either address as the NVR target, can't get logged in.  I've got port forwarding set up correctly AFAIK, having done security systems professionally since NVRs were a thing.  Obviously, DDNS doesn't come into play because I'm referring to the NVR by IP first just to get it working that way. Once I figure out why I can't make the connection, I'll use the resolved name of my NVR.

Traceroute, on my mobile phone to either address times out due to a large number of hops. I sort of suspect that the router managing the "outer" IP address in the 171.x.x.x range isn't forwarding ports properly. I don't have anywhere near enough Thai language skill to talk to 3BB tech support.

Has anyone else run into this with 3BB/Huawei? If so, how'd you get it working?

Thanks!

I don't know about 3BB but when I was with AIS Fibre they put you on a NAT/shared ip address by default.

You had to pay extra for a "public ip".

I imagine your router is pointing to a router at 3BB which distributes the traffic in a similar way to AIS, and that's why it shows a different IP when compared to the outside world.

Why can't you speak to 3BB tech support in English??

Edited by JayClay

I use 3BB without any issues. Although you have a dynamic IP,  your IP will be the one on the website you posted, and it will stay static long enough to test. You should also check the port with https://canyouseeme.org - you should be able to enter the IP:<PORT> to test.

The first thing I ever did when using a Thai ISP is to use my own router because I could never work out the port forwarding on the Huawei router, that was about 13 years ago. Maybe the GUI has improved since, but maybe worth thinking about, 

I don't use a NVR but I don't have any issues using cloudflare DDNS and a reverse proxy with a 3BB line, the setup was quite straightforward.

You can speak to 3BB quite easily, just speak to Helpdesk and arrange a callback from the ISP team, the Helpdesk will ask what its about, really they don't understand but just go through the motions, then a cool guy who speaks English will call back within the day, you can explain your issues, he can answer your questions and give you honest answers and make some suggestions.

Hope it all works out.

PS you are in the 'gaming' forum. 

Edited by recom273

On 8/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, j.a.farang001 said:

When I hit https://whatsmyip.com, I get one IP address in the 171.x.x.x range, but if I log into the HG8145 and look at the WAN configuration page, it shows a totally different WAN IP address in the 100.x.x.x range.

They have put you behind a CGNAT  you can't  use the 171 address because it's being shared by  xx number of other customers   and you can't use  100 address because it's in the

"Reserved IP addresses" not supposed to be routable over the net  also DDNS will be broken.

154352032_Screenshot_2021-09-07ReservedIPaddresses-Wikipedia.png.94bcf84a9b9fcb9839333a6721f994d7.png

On 9/1/2021 at 7:31 PM, recom273 said:

I don't use a NVR but I don't have any issues using cloudflare DDNS and a reverse proxy with a 3BB line, the setup was quite straightforward.

can you explain a bit more about that as I'm stuck in the same predicament as the op

so far as I've researched it seems I'll have to use some sort of Virtual Private Server and setup a reverse proxy on it to bounce requests through it. 

Update. My DDNS seems to bounce back and forth between 100.x.x.x and 171.x.x.x addresses on its own

one or more times per day. There are brief periods when my DDNS hostname is 100.x.x.x that I can access the NVR remotely. But I can't control how or when it decides to switch, so it's pretty useless most of the time.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:52 PM, j.a.farang001 said:

Update. My DDNS seems to bounce back and forth between 100.x.x.x and 171.x.x.x addresses on its own

one or more times per day. There are brief periods when my DDNS hostname is 100.x.x.x that I can access the NVR remotely. But I can't control how or when it decides to switch, so it's pretty useless most of the time.

What did the ISP team advise? Did they confirm you are behind a CGNAT?

On 9/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, johng said:

They have put you behind a CGNAT  you can't  use the 171 address because it's being shared by  xx number of other customers   and you can't use  100 address because it's in the

"Reserved IP addresses" not supposed to be routable over the net  also DDNS will be broken.

154352032_Screenshot_2021-09-07ReservedIPaddresses-Wikipedia.png.94bcf84a9b9fcb9839333a6721f994d7.png

can you explain a bit more about that as I'm stuck in the same predicament as the op

so far as I've researched it seems I'll have to use some sort of Virtual Private Server and setup a reverse proxy on it to bounce requests through it. 

I don't think a reverse proxy is much help to you, unless you are interested in the security aspect of using one. I was just informing the OP that I am also using 3BB and using something that I would use if I was setting up and accessing a software NVR from outside the network. If I were him, I would contact 3BB and get them to offer me a public IP addy, the same as offered to other 3BB users.

I am interested in your predicament, because if it happened to me I would be royally <deleted> - Using and passing your traffic via a VPS seems the standard solution, but have you checked https://www.zerotier.com they offer a free and paid solution, (which you don't need). I have some kit kicking around that I'm not using if you are interested, you could install the zerotier software on that giving you a networkwide solution, this will save you a monthly fee.

I have read your posts for some time now, you are with AIS or TOT, right? Is there any reason that you don't just move ISP? I'm presuming that they don't offer services to your area or your condo. I see the logic in using CGNAT from the ISP but they should offer a solution for those who are effected. 

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

but have you checked https://www.zerotier.com they offer a free and paid solution, (

I'm not sure zerotier would work for me, I'll do a bit more reading about it though.

From their FAQ

"No more than one layer of NAT should be present between ZeroTier endpoints and the Internet. Multiple layers of NAT introduce connection instability due to chaotic interactions between states and behaviors at different levels. No Double NAT."

Obviously I do NAT at my router and then the ISP also does it's carrier grade NAT too  so that is double NAT right ?

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I have read your posts for some time now, you are with AIS or TOT, right? Is there any reason that you don't just move ISP?

I'm with ToT  ( now merged with CAT to form National Telecom Public Company Limited that's when the problem started)

The only other choice is True.

This issue for me at the moment is not so critical,  obviously I would like to be able to view my IP cameras from outside my own LAN, access my IOT thingies  and be able to VPN into my home  network but not enough to be spending extra money to do so..ToT won't change me back to a public IP unless I change packages (more money)

Might be waiting until they implement IPV6  in god knows how many years time :wacko:

10 minutes ago, johng said:

I'm not sure zerotier would work for me, I'll do a bit more reading about it though.

From their FAQ

"No more than one layer of NAT should be present between ZeroTier endpoints and the Internet. Multiple layers of NAT introduce connection instability due to chaotic interactions between states and behaviors at different levels. No Double NAT."

Obviously I do NAT at my router and then the ISP also does it's carrier grade NAT too  so that is double NAT right ?

I'm with ToT  ( now merged with CAT to form National Telecom Public Company Limited that's when the problem started)

The only other choice is True.

This issue for me at the moment is not so critical,  obviously I would like to be able to view my IP cameras from outside my own LAN, access my IOT thingies  and be able to VPN into my home  network but not enough to be spending extra money to do so..ToT won't change me back to a public IP unless I change packages (more money)

Might be waiting until they implement IPV6  in god knows how many years time :wacko:

Take a look at this 

He says it is a solution skynets CGNAT.

Last time I checked, 3BB offered a fixed IP addy for 500B extra per month - surely TOT must be similar. If you lease a VPS for 150-200THB/month, plus setup costs (if you need an engineer to setup for you) and to run (or build a machine to act as) a home server running 24/7 - then you can’t be far off the price of the package excluding the CGNAT or the price of a fixed IP. 

• Thanks 1

So a bit more reading and it seems I'll have to install the ZeroTier client on each device I'd like to access..That's ok(ish)  for my Router,PCs, phones, NAS and NodeRED server

but is not very practical/possible for my  no name Chinese cheapo IPcams  unless  I setup  something like  Ant Media Server https://antmedia.io/

to aggregate the IPcams streams on some always on device ( Raspberry Pi possible) then install ZeroTier on that device..more and more convolutions..there is also the worry about  traffic having to travel to the ZeroTier servers so possible even if remote chance of some hacker finding a weak point, possible downtimes   and possible that the "free" option is removed sooner or later...still it's a very interesting  option and I'll continue reading. ????

I know AIS Fiber offers a static IP option, and they include it in some packages and promotions. They also offer a free DDNS service which I've set up a few times. Uses THDDNS.

I asked 3BB ~ 2 years ago and they said they did offer a fixed-ip address, but I do not remember the pricing. They do offer a DDNS solution.

https://fiber.3bb.co.th/en/ช่วยเหลือ/3bb-ddns/

https://www.3bbddns.com/static/portal/manual/register.pdf

Gazillions of videos, yes most are in Thai but easy enough to follow, example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KriJAkrmO-c