Is the Herman Miller Aeron the best office chair?

Visiting customers here and there I sit on lots of chairs. Until now the best chair I know is the Herman Miller Aeron.

It's expensive, but it is also very good. And considering that I sit every day on my computer I think about buying such a chair.

In Thailand it's available here for 42.000 THB or more.

aeron-2-1-768x1024.jpg

https://pergochairs.com/product/aeron/

I know lots of chairs are cheaper. And I also don't want to waste my money. But if I think about using such a chair maybe for 5 years (or maybe longer?) it cost about 23THB per day. I guess I am willing to pay that price - it's a lot cheaper than my daily espresso.

Do you have good or bad experience with this chair? Do you know a better one or one which is almost as good but half the price?

And as far as you know, is it possible to buy such a chair with discount? Or is it sold for a fixed price and that's it?

• Like 1

Depends on your back, try them out first. Chantir had an exhibit at Siam Paragon where they had a full setup where you can try the chairs, sit at a desk, pretend you're working to test them out. I ended up getting the Embody.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wprime said:

Depends on your back, try them out first. Chantir had an exhibit at Siam Paragon where they had a full setup where you can try the chairs, sit at a desk, pretend you're working to test them out. I ended up getting the Embody.

Thanks, I tried that chair for hours and I really like it. So any alternative has to be substantially better (unlikely) or substantially cheaper.

OMF - For what it’s worth I bought my Aeron in 1996 in Seattle for something around $700 and it’s been in use daily since without issue. The only challenge is cleaning them due to intricacies of construction.

Arstechnica.com had some office chair review articles about 18 months ago when the Great WFH tide rolled in. I don’t have a specific link at hand…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sungod said:

No. One reason is that my height seems to be a good fit for "normal" desk. And I only like to sit on a desk. The desk which I bought long ago is still fine. Maybe I follow your link in a couple of years when I need a new desk. ???? 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No. One reason is that my height seems to be a good fit for "normal" desk. And I only like to sit on a desk. The desk which I bought long ago is still fine. Maybe I follow your link in a couple of years when I need a new desk. ???? 

I find myself standing in the morning, chair in the afternoon. Works good for my back!

Well, I paid the huge sum of 770.41 for something pretty similar.  What it lacks in similarity it more than makes up for in the pleasant sensation that I am massively in profit. 

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

bandicam 2021-08-29 22-54-34-929.jpg

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Thailand it's available here for 42.000 THB or more.

That's seems reasonable.

They start at around 1200.00 in the US.

Like a bed, a chair you use a  lot.  Get the best or as good as you wallet can afford.

Comfort is priceless!

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never heard anything bad about an Aeron.  A friend had one many years back and when I sat it it I could tell it was good.  Later in life I purchased the Steelcase Leap V2 and was happy with that too.  Probably can’t go wrong with either.  Just have to try them out.  Modernform carries the Steelcase.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 4:09 PM, Airalee said:

Never heard anything bad about an Aeron.  A friend had one many years back and when I sat it it I could tell it was good.  Later in life I purchased the Steelcase Leap V2 and was happy with that too.  Probably can’t go wrong with either.  Just have to try them out.  Modernform carries the Steelcase.

Who pays that much for a chair and then talks smack about it?

I bought this one for my fat-ash a few years ago and it's been great. I'm sitting in it now. I looked at a lot of chairs before I bought it. You can shop ErgoTrend on Lazada and actually go to the shop and see what you like...

Tough to go wrong at modernform either. Bought a bunch of stuff there for the office. They have a great showroom on Srinakarin off Rama 9....

chair.PNG.005231eb73ca13b18b442cec78d55b9e.PNG

Been using mine for 12 years and the 10 year free replacement parts guarantee was sweet.

Replaced the seat a couple times due to cigarette burns, new wheels, ordered a new back and hydraulics, just before the warranty expired. Great service from the company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Been using mine for 12 years and the 10 year free replacement parts guarantee was sweet.

Replaced the seat a couple times due to cigarette burns, new wheels, ordered a new back and hydraulics, just before the warranty expired. Great service from the company.

Thanks. Where did you buy it? Or maybe there is only this one shop.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks. Where did you buy it? Or maybe there is only this one shop.

I purchased the chair from Chanintr when they had a showroom next to the Hilton on Wireless Rd.

Later they moved the GPF Building near the US Embassy on Wireless and since opened several showrooms,

Check the website. https://living.chanintr.com/contact/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I bought a herman miller COSM instead of the Aeron or Embody - very happy so far, it's different but looks nicer (obviously subjective).

https://www.chanintr.com/products/highback-cosm-chair

Quite sure Chanitr is the sole HM distributor here, so no other place to get this stuff 

That model doesn't have adjustable armrests which is important for my wife.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great! Let me know if you get a discount.

I'm not optimistic on a discount.  This store seems to be the only one that has stock.  Also, when we called Sunday morning they said that all the appointments for Sunday were taken.  So, they have customers.

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I'm not optimistic on a discount.  This store seems to be the only one that has stock.  Also, when we called Sunday morning they said that all the appointments for Sunday were taken.  So, they have customers.

Or they're closed. 

Why not just drop by the showroom? 

So, Chanintr Work is a spacious, modern showroom.  They have all models and colors in the showroom, but not in stock.  The only color available for delivery  within five days is the Aeron Model B in graphite color, which looks like black to me.  The dark gray and light grey versions entail a two-month delay as does the headrest.  The light gray Aeron "B" is also THB 20,000 more expensive.  Model "A" looks child-sized.  

No discount was available, but they had a promotion of a six month installment plan with zero interest.

They also had some Eames chairs of which I have fond memories from my college library.  It was fun to sit in one again, but at $6000, not on the shopping list.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

So, Chanintr Work is a spacious, modern showroom.  They have all models and colors in the showroom, but not in stock.  The only color available for delivery  within five days is the Aeron Model B in graphite color, which looks like black to me.  The dark gray and light grey versions entail a two-month delay as does the headrest.  The light gray Aeron "B" is also THB 20,000 more expensive.  Model "A" looks child-sized.  

No discount was available, but they had a promotion of a six month installment plan with zero interest.

They also had some Eames chairs of which I have fond memories from my college library.  It was fun to sit in one again, but at $6000, not on the shopping list.

If you're going to pay B40-80K for a chair, why not wait for what you want? The anticipation will make it that much better. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If you're going to pay B40-80K for a chair, why not wait for what you want? The anticipation will make it that much better. 

Isn't it obvious that availability is more important than color to some people, even if you are not among them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Isn't it obvious that availability is more important than color to some people, even if you are not among them?

I rather enjoy dragging out the selection process, and of course the additional B20K is rather important as well, yes?

If I was buying something for my wife, I would think the she was happy with it would be most important.

In any event, they have the subscription program, you can rent one for her to enjoy while she waits for hers.