is political correctness arrived in ASIA?

georgegeorgia

14 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

A “simp”? “Proper people”? What on earth are you talking about? You may not care if someone else stares at your crotch, but another person might if someone stares at theirs. Try looking beyond your own nose.

Where you direct your own eyes is nobody else's business, or should simply looking from a distance now also be defined as harassment? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, Will B Good said:

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

I am not 'clever' in the sense I miraculously came to understand this female world.

I have three, tall, attractive (IMO of course) daughters who, over time, have educated me as to what their lives are like living and working in London.

It is horrendous.

As an aside, for the morons, they naturally dress conservatively, as they all hold down responsible positions in the city.

What really scares me is that are very aggressive and don't back down from sexual harassment.

One day they could be seriously hurt.

I live in London and I'm rather surprised you could describe three women's experience there as "horrendous". The UK is extremely PC now and women, in my experience, are very much treated equally and have been for some time.

I work in a FTSE100 company which has operations in the City amongst other locations. The CEO is a woman, many senior and junior managers are women. Women and minorities are actively promoted, too. In fact, being a white, middle aged male is seriously not cool these days. This is not unique - I've worked in many blue-chip companies in technology over the last 25 years and have had loads of female colleagues in management positions.  

If your daughters are working in trading environments or similar in City banks/institutions then they may well encounter bastions of male domination/chauvinism. But these places are on the decline - witness various multi-million £ discrimination payouts in recent years - and are by no means reflective of most of London or the UK as a whole. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:05 PM, possum1931 said:

What does "per" in that context mean? Also, what does "se" mean in the English language? It is the English language, isn't it? I see this come up regularly since I came to Thailand, though both the words are always together.

?????????????

I read what you quoted several times to be sure and "per" and "se" are nowhere to be seen in it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I work in a FTSE100 company which has operations in the City amongst other locations. The CEO is a woman, many senior and junior managers are women. Women and minorities are actively promoted, too. In fact, being a white, middle aged male is seriously not cool these days. This is not unique - I've worked in many blue-chip companies in technology over the last 25 years and have had loads of female colleagues in management positions.  

I worked in a female dominated occupation for decades, and almost all the managers and senior staff were female. However, just being female did not mean that bullying was absent. If anything, the bullying by senior personnel was worse than what I experienced in the military.

I'd go so far as to describe it as horrendous.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, Will B Good said:

Seriously, that is your take on the whole thread and my comment??????

Given that you bolded that ( and only that ) in your post indicates that it was the most important part of the post, yet you did not make it clear as to what was horrendous. Clarity in a post is helpful in understanding what you are talking about, and I have no idea of what it was that you were referencing by that statement.

11 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

I live in London and I'm rather surprised you could describe three women's experience there as "horrendous". The UK is extremely PC now and women, in my experience, are very much treated equally and have been for some time.

If your daughters are working in trading environments or similar in City banks/institutions then they may well encounter bastions of male domination/chauvinism. But these places are on the decline - witness various multi-million £ discrimination payouts in recent years - and are by no means reflective of most of London or the UK as a whole. 

Work is fine, absolutely no problems.

Traveling is, walking along the street is and some bars can be.

I have little doubt that most businesses have this harassment taped. They know the consequences.

It is the average moron on the street/on the subway/cruising past that is the problem.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Boarn said:

Where you direct your own eyes is nobody else's business, or should simply looking from a distance now also be defined as harassment? 

I think that most women, especially those who are traditionally attractive, have developed sufficient survival skills, when some stranger is glaring at their rack, to distinguish between a genuine threat and a person who is merely boorish. So, yeah, go wild.

10 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

And this two-minute video, well worth watching, gives a pretty good idea of what it’s like, as a woman, to simply walk down the sidewalk. What she encounters are microaggressions, and while the men for the most part mean no harm, they create an environment of genuine unease for the woman, which comes through clearly in the video (you have to scroll down a little to get to it). Trying seeing the world from her vantage point.

https://www.npr.org/2014/11/01/360494480/woman-in-street-harassment-video-i-do-not-feel-safe-right-now

This will have the gammons chomping at the bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

And this two-minute video, well worth watching, gives a pretty good idea of what it’s like, as a woman, to simply walk down the sidewalk. What she encounters are microaggressions, and while the men for the most part mean no harm, they create an environment of genuine unease for the woman, which comes through clearly in the video (you have to scroll down a little to get to it). Trying seeing the world from her vantage point.

https://www.npr.org/2014/11/01/360494480/woman-in-street-harassment-video-i-do-not-feel-safe-right-now

I guess my perception of you is a "new age " type male who  dont believe in go go bars ...and us guys ...shouting out "show us ya titts !!  oogling over them 

you would find that horrid i believe?

I take it you dont go to bars in thailand nor partake in the service?

I mean it would be hypocritical if you did 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Oh dear

I have no judgement against "new age" type of men like yourself ,your perception that women dont like men looking at them and it creates  "microaggression" & "unease" to the ladies  (your words)  is your opinion ,but what i dont like what are hypocrites that say have some empathy for the ladies and what they have to go thru with  us guys staring at them....and lo & behold  the next thing your in a bar with ya old fella hanging out like a true hypocrite !????

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess my perception of you is a "new age " type male who  dont believe in go go bars ...and us guys ...shouting out "show us ya titts !!  oogling over them 

you would find that horrid i believe?

I take it you dont go to bars in thailand nor partake in the service?

I mean it would be hypocritical if you did

I have no judgement against "new age" type of men like yourself ,your perception that women dont like men looking at them and it creates  "microaggression" & "unease" to the ladies  (your words)  is your opinion ,but what i dont like what are hypocrites that say have some empathy for the ladies and what they have to go thru with  us guys staring at them....and lo & behold  the next thing your in a bar with ya old fella hanging out like a true hypocrite !????

Well done! I have nothing to add here --

• Like 1

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

They are put in brackets, if you cannot see that there is no more I can say.

This is the entirety of what I posted and still can't see any per or se.

Women lose by it anyway. I never have a real conversation with any women now as whatever I say can be taken the wrong way. Safer to stick to small talk.

Nothing new though. I stopped nursing in 2009 and for the 10 years before that I never said anything to any female nurse that could be construed as sexist. So no compliments, no congratulations, nothing "real". Certainly never tried to have a relationship with any of them, and I never ever said anything about Thailand to any of them.

I still got caught out occasionally by angry with the world feminists to whom men were just awful people. I didn't care what they thought, but it was too easy for them to make an official complaint and cause trouble for me if I said what I really thought. I had to bite my tongue a lot back then.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is the entirety of what I posted and still can't see any per or se.

Women lose by it anyway. I never have a real conversation with any women now as whatever I say can be taken the wrong way. Safer to stick to small talk.

Nothing new though. I stopped nursing in 2009 and for the 10 years before that I never said anything to any female nurse that could be construed as sexist. So no compliments, no congratulations, nothing "real". Certainly never tried to have a relationship with any of them, and I never ever said anything about Thailand to any of them.

I still got caught out occasionally by angry with the world feminists to whom men were just awful people. I didn't care what they thought, but it was too easy for them to make an official complaint and cause trouble for me if I said what I really thought. I had to bite my tongue a lot back then.

That is not the post I answered, another poster also answered. there seems to have been a mistake somewhere.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PM one. Charlie H usually moderates the Pub.

Don't use the report function. That's not for problems like this.

I won't use the report button, I would need to look back over the previous posts and I have just cleaned my computer and my posts are deleted. I would say there has been a fault in the system, it is not unusual. Maybe the poster who answered the per se post will get in touch.

11 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

No doubt there are knuckledraggers everywhere on occassions. But "horrendous"? I don't buy it. None of my female friends have described their experience in the UK like this. When was the last time you lived there?

I'm also curious as to why you'd be based in Thailand (if you are), a place where it's perfectly OK to specify sex and age limitations for job applicants? And the near total lack of women in areas like the police? Just two examples that come to mind. 

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. ???? 

I worked with hundreds of women in London, and none of them came to work complaining that it was horrendous outside.

Perhaps it's something to do with working in an Alpha male dominated environment.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:04 PM, georgegeorgia said:

"i find that so offensive ! he said ,those poor women ,forced to do this ,i find that so offensive and derarogortory he shouted 

,i immediately had to stop talking to him and walk away 

It's a shame you couldn't explain to him that they aren't being forced to do it, they often enjoy it and it's very much a cultural difference and he's actually being kind of racist in applying his values to another culture with no regard for what the individuals actual think or feel.

From what I hear, Australia has already pretty much fallen to the woke dystopia anyway.

Things will probably change in Thailand eventually.  Then women will believe they are being liberated, before realising they are anything but when they reach their 30s.

One thing that works in Thailand's favour, is that they are very open and accepting about what men and women want.  It's very hard to inject wokeness into that, because you would have to say that women don't get money, and they probably won't like that.  In Western countries it's a lot more hidden.  What women want is pretty much taboo.

I have no doubt Thailand will get the stupid pronouns business, but it's likely isolated from feminism a fair bit.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...