Retirement extention - Dipped below the 400k

Hi

Not me, but a friend of mine who is not on this forum, has dipped below the 400k in his bank account for his retirement visa.  Anyone here have any experience of this kind of mistake, and if it's corrected quickly is it a major problem?

Thanks

If it was only a small amount of money and it was corrected quickly most immigration offices would probably forgive the mistake.

Some offices do not ask for the proof the 800k baht and then the 400k baht was kept in the bank when applying for a new extension of stay (it is not a visa).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If it was only a small amount of money and it was corrected quickly most immigration offices would probably forgive the mistake.

Some offices do not ask for the proof the 800k baht and then the 400k baht was kept in the bank when applying for a new extension of stay (it is not a visa).

I thought so, thanks.

Thanks for the replies.  I've found out he drew out 30k to give his missus yesterday.  I've put him in a panic and he will put it back tomorrow if he can get it back off her, they are not getting on too well at the moment, or I will lend him 30k for a few days if it's worth trying to explain to immigration what happened.  He has about 6-8 months before his extension is due I think.  He stupidly let her deal with all things immigration, and now she is trying to take every penny he has, she is less than helpful. Funny how there is almost always a woman involved 55.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, nopsled said:

Thanks for the replies.  I've found out he drew out 30k to give his missus yesterday.  I've put him in a panic and he will put it back tomorrow if he can get it back off her, they are not getting on too well at the moment, or I will lend him 30k for a few days if it's worth trying to explain to immigration what happened.  He has about 6-8 months before his extension is due I think.  He stupidly let her deal with all things immigration, and now she is trying to take every penny he has, she is less than helpful. Funny how there is almost always a woman involved 55.

So much in your post. This may seem harsh but just one person's opinion.

1. Doubt he will satisfy immigration with withdrawal of money, even with quickish replacement. He could visit and ask.

2. If he needs to get the 30k back from her to top up his account sounds like he doesn't have other money supply. Eg funds in home account.

3. If that's the case perhaps why she wants rid of him.

4. You use term misses....take it that he is not married as he would be on extension based on marriage and you mention retirement.

Bottom line: He should get all his bankbooks, ATM etc and leave.

For next extension retirement he can use agent ~15k to cover money in bank issue.

I note that he withdrew the funds? Strange. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So much in your post. This may seem harsh but just one person's opinion.

1. Doubt he will satisfy immigration with withdrawal of money, even with quickish replacement. He could visit and ask.

2. If he needs to get the 30k back from her to top up his account sounds like he doesn't have other money supply. Eg funds in home account.

3. If that's the case perhaps why she wants rid of him.

4. You use term misses....take it that he is not married as he would be on extension based on marriage and you mention retirement.

Bottom line: He should get all his bankbooks, ATM etc and leave.

For next extension retirement he can use agent ~15k to cover money in bank issue.

I note that he withdrew the funds? Strange. 

Like I said, long story.  I can see why you think all the above, and you could be close on some points, but he has probably spent 50mil on property here, but it's all in her name.  I know! No fool like an old fool.  He's 71 and has now got a lawyer on the case.  Not married though and she as never had more than a tiny income.  He can show statements for transfers etc. His lawyer says "No problem".  I'm not so sure.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nopsled said:

He can show statements for transfers etc. His lawyer says "No problem".  I'm not so sure.

That's a good thing as he will need a lawyer.

Also note that as you imagine this is very common. There is a forum on AseanNow that deals with these issues. Along with his lawyers advice (if he is a good one) he can obtain advice on that forum.

His pressing issue is the extension. He might be advised to go to immigration check out what they say. Of course the balance would need to be back up to 400k asap.

If no other option then for next extension he can use agent. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nopsled said:

has dipped below the 400k in his bank account for his retirement visa

It just does not dip below 400k. Your friend has knowingly taken money out, which is the cause of reaching below 400k. It´s not like he didn´t know it, right?

In cases like this, I feel very embarrassed to be among foreigners. Everyone knows how important this actually is, and still do not care about it. After they seem to need help with something they already know from start? In my opinion, that is the pure essence of stupidity.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a good thing as he will need a lawyer.

Also note that as you imagine this is very common. There is a forum on AseanNow that deals with these issues. Along with his lawyers advice (if he is a good one) he can obtain advice on that forum.

His pressing issue is the extension. He might be advised to go to immigration check out what they say. Of course the balance would need to be back up to 400k asap.

If no other option then for next extension he can use agent. 

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.  I've been telling him to get on here for weeks.  He's having a tough  time of it though and I've just been giving him some tough truths on the phone.

5 hours ago, nopsled said:

but she insisted on dealing with immigration for him because she is Thai and he is farang

There he would have had it already. Why would he need help with people in a place that are designed to deal with foreigners? A thinking person would hear the alarm bells closing in for the last time, whispering it´s silent and deadly tune on the way to disaster.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nopsled said:

Like I said, long story.  I can see why you think all the above, and you could be close on some points, but he has probably spent 50mil on property here, but it's all in her name.  I know! No fool like an old fool.  He's 71 and has now got a lawyer on the case.  Not married though and she as never had more than a tiny income.  He can show statements for transfers etc. His lawyer says "No problem".  I'm not so sure.

He should get her to give him 30 year leases on the property.  That will protect him some.

11 hours ago, nopsled said:

It's much worse than that.  She's going to take him for every penny he has, but a long story for another time.  I think this could even be what she wants.  I feel for the guy, I really do.

If i was him i would be going to the nearest shop to invest in a pair of skates,and f..ing roll off into the sunset prontol!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You mean B800k for retirement extensions?  Or using income also?   

Reports here suggest that it's a big problem with IOs but nothing that an agent couldn't help your friend with..

No.... read the post.

He dropped below the minimum 400k that is required to be maintained from 3 months after the extension application and two months before the next (when it needs to be up to 800k).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If your friend has another account with money in he can use that account to make up the 400k it happened to me they turned me down for being 165 baht short as the bank had deducted commission for my debit card thankfully I had another account for every day spending had to get a letter and bank statement for that account but in the end got sorted Koh Samui IO shows no compassion even for such a small amount your IO might be more understanding 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's going to ask at another imm office today he says.  He keeps forwarding me bits of incorrect info he finds on the web that doesn't mention the 400k.  Sad man.  I told him to wake up and see the real world situation, not what he wants to be true.  Anyway, thanks for the constructive comments, I'm passing your advice on to him.  I'll update when I get some info back from him.  I think a few k in the passport is the way to go personally, or the agent route.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

If your friend has another account with money in he can use that account to make up the 400k it happened to me they turned me down for being 165 baht short as the bank had deducted commission for my debit card thankfully I had another account for every day spending had to get a letter and bank statement for that account but in the end got sorted Koh Samui IO shows no compassion even for such a small amount your IO might be more understanding 

I lent him the 30k he needed.  Put it in his bank last night.  165 baht!!  He won't want to hear that, but at least you did sort it out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nopsled said:

He's going to ask at another imm office today he says

He can only deal with the immigration office where he lives. i.e 90 day reports. 

To use another imm office he would need tm30 change address. 

Is wasting his time..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He can only deal with the immigration office where he lives. i.e 90 day reports. 

To use another imm office he would need tm30 change address. 

Is wasting his time..

Yes, I'll tell him that.  I think he wanted to see if they thought it was something that could be sorted out without alerting his local office, but I know the answer they will give him.