FFC calls for ban on BTS Skytrain after company ditches monthly ticket sales

webfact

te1.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

The Foundation for Consumers (FFC) called on Thursday for a ban on BTS Skytrain service after the company cancelled the sale of monthly pass tickets by asking the government to take action immediately. 

The FFC said it had received complaints from affected customers as the daily cost of travel will rise considerably. 

Due to the suspension of monthly passes, passengers would be forced to pay between 16 and 44 baht for each trip rather than an average of 28 baht per trip under monthly passes.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/32127/ffc-calls-for-ban-on-bts-skytrain-after-company-ditches-monthly-ticket-sales/

ti.jpg

One of the many reasons I quit teaching in BKK, the monthly transportation expenses. They eat into your salary quite a bit.

If you're not at an intl school with a six figure baht salary, the best you can hope for is a private school making 60-70k. Then there's your BKK condo, then there's the transport.

I had colleagues with a commute consisting of a lengthy moto taxi trip from way down a Sukhumvit soi, then the BTS ride, then a songthaew down the road from the BTS, then another moto taxi to the school. On days they're running late or caught in the rain, then they hop in a taxi. It really adds up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

If the government paid what they owe and stop the free travel bs then BTS might be able to lower the price increase.

Remember they have to pay staff and keep the trains running safely.

They seem to be doing OK, plus they earn a lot of revenue from advertising as well as the fares. BTS Group just made a large investment in Jaymart and subsidiaries.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Pure greed.

Amazing, how long did it take you to come up wit that one??  Would love to know your insight in to the saga that lies behind this.  Please explain.

I do not support this decision at all, but they are obviously starting to play hard ball and force pressure on the BMA who owe them billions of baht for essentially operating the extensions for free.  They have been threatening to raise their fares unless the BMA pays what it owes, seems like this is the first step to show they are serious.

I could be wrong, but that's my interpretation.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, josephbloggs said:

Amazing, how long did it take you to come up wit that one??  Would love to know your insight in to the saga that lies behind this.  Please explain.

I do not support this decision at all, but they are obviously starting to play hard ball and force pressure on the BMA who owe them billions of baht for essentially operating the extensions for free.  They have been threatening to raise their fares unless the BMA pays what it owes, seems like this is the first step to show they are serious.

I could be wrong, but that's my interpretation.

Glad you brought up the BMA issue. As I read the news report above, my first thought was this move on the BTS's part probably is related to / a response to the long-running funding dispute they've been having with the BMA, as you alluded above.

Two VERY big entities with tons of money are in a pissing match with each other, and it's the ordinary residents/citizens who are ending up getting screwed. I don't know all the details of the contractual agreements between the BMA and the BTS. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet on it being the BMA who's not living up to their financial obligations.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:18 AM, matchar said:

They seem to be doing OK, plus they earn a lot of revenue from advertising as well as the fares. BTS Group just made a large investment in Jaymart and subsidiaries.

Okay let me put this in terms that are easy.

Matchar is doing fine life is good.  

Someone that promised to pay matchar 100,000 baht  to do some work for them tells you to go to hell they are not paying.

Do you just say okay and still do the work for them on a continuous basis or do you stop?

Do you take them to court considering you have a signed contract?