Were You Born between 1945 and 1955? If so, then…. Maybe You Understand our World…even more than others.

GammaGlobulin

20 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I was born a couple of years after the span of dates you specify.

I don't know about understanding "our world".

I certainly don't understand you!

PS.

I have had a good root around on Google street view, and you are right, there are no icebergs around here...

Last year, a woman I know told me that life was simpler in Thailand, in 1971. No need to worry about much. She stated that there was no need to visit the Seven. Mostly, she enjoyed the vegetables she grew in her garden, and she also had enough leftover vegetables to barter them for rice.

She told me that she wished she could return to those days.

I know that she was sincere.

What about you?

Do you recall those days in Thailand?

(Maybe, this is the understanding of our world that was mentioned in this topic. Maybe, this makes some sense.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is much to "tick" about here today, but people's lives are measurably better, despite 7/11 and Elton Musk's ambitions to scatter corpses all over space!

On the subject of corpses in space - will they decompose or will they be preserved?

We need to know before we continue this discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

On the subject of corpses in space - will they decompose or will they be preserved?

We need to know before we continue this discussion.

IMO they will explode when their space suit loses pressure.

I guess we'll have to wait for the first death in space to know.

The snow runway at McMurdo was named after an American that died when his machine fell through the ice in 1956- I wonder what they will name after the first American to die in space?

BTW the astronauts that died in the shuttle were not in space when it blew up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well no, in 1971 I was 14.

Didn't do a lot of independent travel ( or vegetables) then!

You will always find someone who harks back to " the good old simple times", invariably they omit to mention the poverty, lack of medical care, endemic diseases, shorter life expectation, child mortality and political savagery of those times.

There is much to "tick" about here today, but people's lives are measurably better, despite 7/11 and Elton Musk's ambitions to scatter corpses all over space!

I completely agree with you. This constant harping back to " the good old simpler times" is particularly endemic on this forum. What amuses though is it is very specific rose tinted glasses that completely fail to mention the hardship of the time, the social disparity and the abject poverty experienced by most.

It's time to move on guys or if you can't there are still plenty of places in the world that can take you back to these halcion days you so desperately yearn, however they just might be a little harder to find https://www.loveexploring.com/gallerylist/66224/60-gorgeous-photos-of-the-last-unspoiled-places-on-earth

Patagonia anyone?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I completely agree with you. This constant harping back to " the good old simpler times" is particularly endemic on this forum. What amuses though is it is very specific rose tinted glasses that completely fail to mention the hardship of the time, the social disparity and the abject poverty experienced by most.

It's time to move on guys or if you can't there are still plenty of places in the world that can take you back to these halcion days you so desperately yearn, however they just might be a little harder to find https://www.loveexploring.com/gallerylist/66224/60-gorgeous-photos-of-the-last-unspoiled-places-on-earth

Patagonia anyone?

Biological Diversity, anyone? 

E. O. Wilson, anyone? 

Carbon levels at 350ppm, anyone? 

Think again, please. 

But, I also completely understand your point concerning progress made raising us out of poverty, as well as antibiotics and vaccines, as well as great strides in education. 

But what is this compared to what some see as imminent? 

You are correct that, judging by most metrics, our world is improving dramatically, decade by decade. 

• Like 1

people with that kind of age already gave up on the world already, don't worry by this rate we will destroy ourselves in a few 100 year, we are in our final stage of humanity, no water and food to feed the world, don't worry you're not missing out of anything, actually you're in a good spot right now, so enjoy yourself.

Edited by vinci

8 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

First, foremost, keep Earth habitable, if possible. 

Doing so will be a challenge in itself. 

If this proves to be possible, then in the long term, we might consider the Greening of Mars. 

Probably Tyson is speaking philosophically about 3 thousand years in the future. 

Three thousand years in the future, historically, is less than the age of stone henge, or the pyramids, or aphrodisiacs, or the blue pill. 

TV, three thousand years hence, will be around. So will I. 

I love TV. 

RED MARS

GREEN MARS

BLUE MARS

Musk talks in parables, sometimes, after a good smoke.

We all love Musk, even though he smokes too much, maybe.

Like you, I have read Kim Stanley Robinson's three books.

1024px-Kim_Stanley_Robinson_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg.81e9e1f80f51f6bfe6117f38f6c4de33.jpg

These three books are science fiction.

And yet, after a good smoke, science fiction becomes reality.

And, soon, we will all be living under the  Regolith Soil on Mars, like moles.

Or, so it is envisioned by Mr. Musk.

(Musk should curb his enthusiasm for interstellar travel. If Musk can finally deliver a car that can park itself in a tight space in most underground parking lots, then... he is a genius.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1