Phuket Sandbox numbers: 40% went to other provinces - US top list  ahead of Brits and Thais

webfact

TBTK7EMPPRLKJMK47YQNVWQAXQ.jpg

file photo: Reuters

Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Yutthasak Suphasorn revealed the results of a survey and ground down into the numbers after the first sixty days of the Phuket Sandbox were accomplished.

In that time 25,866 visitors came to the southern Thai island (this is now 26,400 in the first 62 days as reported elsewhere on ASEAN NOW).

Top ten foreign visitors in the 60 days were as follows:

1. US 3,438

2. UK 3,389

3. Israel 2,729

4. Germany 2,072

5. France 2,050

6. UAE 838

7. Swiss 559

8. Netherlands 536

9. Australia 452

10. China 417

In addition Thai visitors under the Sandbox scheme numbered 3,335.

Top destinations in order after visiting Phuket were Bangkok, Surat Thani, Chiang Mai, Prachuap Khirikhan and Krabi.

80% of visitors were 'working age' aged 25-56.

58% went back to their country of origin after Phuket.

40% went elsewhere in Thailand.

69% said their reason for coming was tourism.

36% said it was to visit family and friends.

69% said they heard about the Sandbox on social media.

80% said they were very satisfied and felt welcomed by people in Phuket.

85% were satisfied by SHA+ hotels.

Top 5 reasons for satisfaction were:

1. Transport to and from the airport

2. Booking of airport transport

3. Booking of SHA+ hotels

4. Procedures at the airport

5. Testing procedures on arrival.

A TAT survey was carried out between July 11th and August 30th under the heading of "Satisfaction" but for reasons unexplained in the BBN article only 111 people responded. 

You may find a full directory of the SHA Plus+ Phuket Sandbox hotels here

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, fangless said:

The above article is meaningless as of 25866 arrivals only information from 111 was used.

What is the point of all the paperwork that is filled in to undertake the ordeal, if they cannot extract the relevant info and publish it in a meaningful way.  

Anymore than 111 the % left Phuket would be way higher 

12 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

40% went to other provinces 5555, yeah, cos they live here, chatting to a mate this morning who got back a couple of weeks ago, apparently the place is dead with bog all to do, but I suppose it's better than 2 weeks stuck in a room in BKK.

I am talking to people who are there right now and they are saying it is getting more and more busy daily.  Restaurants more busy, hotels filling up etc.  More and more people on the beaches.  Not locals, pasty white foreigners with blond hair and blue eyes.  It's still ultra low rainy season btw so the big numbers haven't even started yet.

Edited by shdmn

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

I am talking to people who are there right now and they are saying it is getting more and more busy daily.  Restaurants more busy, hotels filling up etc.  More and more people on the beaches.  Not locals, pasty white foreigners with blond hair and blue eyes.  It's still ultra low rainy season btw so the big numbers haven't even started yet.

Interesting.  Which part of the island are you talking about?  My friends in Kamala who are looking after my place have a somewhat less rosy report on the conditions.  Of course they aren't concerned about someone being on the beach, they're more concerned about who has had to go bankrupt and close down.

I admit that everyone is happy that they can now drive to Patong without encountering another vehicle.  Just proves "If you don't go on the road you don't become a road death statistic" 

Ahhhh, I had to lower the yardarm but the sun is now over it.  Ta for now.

8 hours ago, ourdon said:

Interesting.  Which part of the island are you talking about?  My friends in Kamala who are looking after my place have a somewhat less rosy report on the conditions.  Of course they aren't concerned about someone being on the beach, they're more concerned about who has had to go bankrupt and close down.

I admit that everyone is happy that they can now drive to Patong without encountering another vehicle.  Just proves "If you don't go on the road you don't become a road death statistic" 

Ahhhh, I had to lower the yardarm but the sun is now over it.  Ta for now.

What do you mean which part?  The tourist part.  Patong.

Edited by shdmn