"Throw Away" Flight Ticket For COE Completion?

On 9/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, NotReallyHere said:

Hi, I'm the original poster...

Unfortunately, my experience is different.  The Thai Consulate in Munich just rejected my COE for not having a return ticket booked on a visa exemption.  They specifically stated it was the lack of a return ticket and they even changed the color of the font in the email to red for emphasis.  I guess they really mean it...

My saga continues...  Mexico is looking better all the time, but I have too much money invested at this point to pivot...

Unfortunately you have fallen foul to what I call ‘the Thai Electrician syndrome’.... 

The 'Thai Electrical Syndrome' Explained:  A Motorcycle Taxi, Somchai, picks up a little extra work with a construction company... they give him a screw-driver and tell him he’s the electrician... thats it, he’s now an electrician... others defer to his knowledge !

You’ve encountered the same thing with a Mission Officer at the Thai Embassy in Munich - he’s read the rules and now thinks he knows them. 

Unfortunately, many of us have come across this situation in various facets. 

As you are ready to give up, push the issue - Inform him (politely) that his understanding of regulations is misunderstood.

• Like 1

In short... Do NOT trust what the Embassy staffers tell you regarding visa status, flights etc to enter Thailand. They do not know, especially now.

Last year (July 2020) I was issued a CoE with my Thai Elite Visa, I found out less than 24 hours before travel that at that point (under Emergency Decree) Thai Elite Visa’s had not been approved for entry. 

After I got hold of the Embassy they recovered and issued me a Non-Imm O visa based on Marriage - but I was very nearly caught out. 

• Like 2

One way tickets usually cost almost as much as r/t. If i were you I'd get a r/t ticket which allows for changes to return date. Even if there is a change fee, I think that will be cheaper than getting a  separate "throw away" ticket and then later buying another ticket for when you do decide to  leave.

20 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Oh dear. Another "Thai electrician" at it there. Absolutely 100% incorrect

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Both visa exempt and tourist visa are eligible for one 30 day extension. 1900baht. 

Well, we all have to decide if we want to take this risk if it is coming from the authority. No right or wrong, just how much more baht we have to fork out to get a peace of mind knowing that no one can force you to leave Thailand. ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DHut said:

Well, we all have to decide if we want to take this risk if it is coming from the authority. No right or wrong, just how much more baht we have to fork out to get a peace of mind knowing that no one can force you to leave Thailand. ????

Have you been to Thailand previously. 

I get the feeling Not.

22 hours ago, MajorTom said:

onwardticket.com is not actually "fake" tickets. You just pay them a fee to hold a reservation in your name for a certain period. I believe most travel agencies can do this. Price varying.

I decided against onwardticket.com because the 12 Euros only gets you a 48 hour reservation (2 week reservation extension for 1 Euro more).  I, however, am flying out in more than two weeks time.  I might have had to create one onward ticket to complete the COE process, let it expire and then create a second onward ticket to board the plane to Thailand, 3 weeks later.  What if the boarding personnel noticed a discrepancy between the two onward ticket reservation codes?  Would that mess me up?  I didn't want to chance it.  I found a "real" throw away onward ticket for approximately $60.  To me, the peace of mind was worth the extra money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

I decided against onwardticket.com because the 12 Euros only gets you a 48 hour reservation (2 week reservation extension for 1 Euro more).  I, however, am flying out in more than two weeks time.  I might have had to create one onward ticket to complete the COE process, let it expire and then create a second onward ticket to board the plane to Thailand, 3 weeks later.  What if the boarding personnel noticed a discrepancy between the two onward ticket reservation codes?  Would that mess me up?  I didn't want to chance it.  I found a "real" throw away onward ticket for approximately $60.  To me, the peace of mind was worth the extra money.

What country was your  destination for that booking if you don't mind me asking, seems reasonable?

2 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

What interest would they have in an expired booking? and why would you show them both?

Prior to receiving the COE, you don't know what information is listed on it.  The first reservation code could have been listed on the COE (it's not).  I would have had to show them the second reservation code, of course.

This whole process has too many actors working off different scripts.  I'm in CYA mode.  I'm going to assume the worse and act accordingly.  Especially if we're only talking about a $40 difference in cost.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

Prior to receiving the COE, you don't know what information is listed on it.  The first reservation code could have been listed on the COE (it's not).  I would have had to show them the second reservation code, of course.

This whole process has too many actors working off different scripts.  I'm in CYA mode.  I'm going to assume the worse and act accordingly.  Especially if we're only talking about a $40 difference in cost.

Ok, fair play to you. But now we know.

All these arbitrary requirements does create its problems for inexperienced people.

Friend of mine was denied boarding with a valid return ticket. Because Qatar airlines wasn't updated that the visa exempt had been extended to 45 days. He was stonewalled and then tricked into wasting 100s of dollars on a new RETURN ticket within 30 days..

He was worried about loosing his ASQ, COE etc. so just forked out.

25 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Ok, fair play to you. But now we know.

All these arbitrary requirements does create its problems for inexperienced people.

Friend of mine was denied boarding with a valid return ticket. Because Qatar airlines wasn't updated that the visa exempt had been extended to 45 days. He was stonewalled and then tricked into wasting 100s of dollars on a new RETURN ticket within 30 days..

He was worried about loosing his ASQ, COE etc. so just forked out.

It seems the airlines are not in sync with 45 day rule visa exempt and many people could fall into that situation. So you would need to book a return ticket within 30 days to meet the airlines guidelines, regardless of if you intend to extend the visa Exempt?

1 hour ago, LoVeFuN said:

So you would need to book a return ticket within 30 days to meet the airlines guidelines, regardless of if you intend to extend the visa Exempt?

Yes. If enforced.. (its 45 days now, but some airlines are misinformed or have old checklists)

Actually it has never been accepted to book a return or onward ticket later than 30 days after arrival by claiming you will extend the visa-exempt.

FWIW, I had a throwaway when i entered in Feb, I showed it to everyone (assuming it was required) and the immigration officer did seem to read it in detail.  I figured, given all the other expenses, an extra $150 to have an answer ready in case they asked, was worth it.

Ended up throwing away my real return ticket too, when I left early to get vaxxed… 

My COE was rejected by the Royal Embassy Singapore for not having a return ticket. And I was told that the 45 days visa exemption is no longer valid with effect of 1st Oct 2021 by the Royal Thai Embassy Singapore. You got to apply the 30 days visa exemption instead. I do not know if this changes applies to other countries. Hope I will be able extend my 30 days visa after expire.

6 hours ago, Ty30666 said:

My COE was rejected by the Royal Embassy Singapore for not having a return ticket. And I was told that the 45 days visa exemption is no longer valid with effect of 1st Oct 2021 by the Royal Thai Embassy Singapore. You got to apply the 30 days visa exemption instead. I do not know if this changes applies to other countries. Hope I will be able extend my 30 days visa after expire.

Can anyone confirm this for other Royal Embassies.

8 hours ago, Ty30666 said:

I do not know if this changes applies to other countries. Hope I will be able extend my 30 days visa after expire.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Can anyone confirm this for other Royal Embassies.

The order for the 45 day visa exempt entry expires on September 30th. IMO they will extend it for a few more months.

And yes the 30 day extension is still available for most people.

Those who get a visa exempt entry under a bilateral agreement do not qualify for the 30 day extensions.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The order for the 45 day visa exempt entry expires on September 30th. IMO they will extend it for a few more months.

And yes the 30 day extension is still available for most people.

Those who get a visa exempt entry under a bilateral agreement do not qualify for the 30 day extensions.

So this means any entry into Thailand from US will require some sort of Visa issued by Consulate, Right? Which means along with more covid insurance a person will also need the 40K/400K insurance.

All those people who work overseas on a rotation but have a home in Thailand have been locked out for a long time because doing the quarantine made the trip home nearly impossible. Some leave the workplace in various countries AKA merchant seamen. Needing a visa each time to enter is over the top stupid. 

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So this means any entry into Thailand from US will require some sort of Visa issued by Consulate, Right? Which means along with more covid insurance a person will also need the 40K/400K insurance.

No and No.

A person from the US will still get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

Medical insurance is only required for those on Non-OA, Non-OX and a new Non-o visa based upon retirement. At some embassies and official consulates people with a existing extension of stay based upon retirement from a non-o visa will need the medical insurance.

• Like 1