Thai Customs Rant

G Rex

17 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
37 minutes ago, G Rex said:

DHL

I've always had a problem with them.

Seriously large sums of cash

DHL doesn't accept parcels containing cash, hardly surprising that they had problems with you.   It's the same for all the courier companies, none of them will accept cash. 

• Confused 6

36 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

DHL doesn't accept parcels containing cash, hardly surprising that they had problems with you.   It's the same for all the courier companies, none of them will accept cash. 

I meant I ended up paying large amounts of cash to customs.

It always happened with DHL.  

So that's paying import duty/VAT to Customs, not DHL; DHL is just the agent for the Customs Dept.  All the other main courier companies do exactly the same thing, they're contracted to the Customs Dept. and none of them are permitted to bring dutiable items into the country without charging duty if it is due.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So that's paying import duty/VAT to Customs, not DHL; DHL is just the agent for the Customs Dept.  All the other main courier companies do exactly the same thing, they're contracted to the Customs Dept. and none of them are permitted to bring dutiable items into the country without charging duty if it is due.

You seem to have some experience with Thai customs, could you possibly cast your eye over this ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's you who thinks that you're a law unto yourself, it's your purchase that contravened the law by having it's value wrongly quoted.   Don't rant at Customs or DHL.  Jesus...

By the way duty, VAT and the DHL charge is normal, nothing to do with your illegally undervalued item.

I wouldn't take it personally.

• Haha 1

Chinese Stuff on Aliexpress or Thai online market like Lazada, Shopee or JD always comes in tax free, or at least the duty must have been pre-calculated in the freight, I think things from China enjoy some FTA deals where goods under certain amount comes in tax free.

Your choice in choosing DHL

DHL can't help it, they pay the duties all the time every time for speedy process, at least you got a reciept, but good luck trying to appeal that, things coming through the postal system you can appeal the valuation before coughing up the cash but that requires legwork

AIS tried to send me a SIM card in Vietnam. But they sent it DHL 

so I never got it. I just got ordered to fill out a form, then another, then to request approval from another committee that never replied.  

AIS was very cooperative. DHL earns it's awful reputation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phetphet said:

I never use DHL. I always try and use the post office ( tracked and to be signed for if possible).

Maybe not possible from China. I don't suppose you bought it from Aliexpress. They don't normally use DHL, but it might have been cheaper.

On another note. Because of the pandemic, Thailand like other countries is very short of cash. I can foresee Customs tightening up even more in the future to bring in more readies. 

Ali baba.

I've imported expensive pool tile because its so much cheaper than Thailand despite the shipping costs.

They use multiple shipper's to help alleviate much of the customs tax otherwise I would have paid.

I imagine most of the confiscated or unpaid packages is split up between the Thai custom agents.

Edited by MrJ2U

9 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Thai Customs: probably “self- financing” ( no govt budget/ funded entirely from “duty & tax” take !)

.So you WILL get “Done” (like akipper)……They ARE “self- regulating” (lawless), like Thai Imm…… 

I was charged “Duty” via Thai Customs stooges DHL of 9,000 baht for a suitcase of declared Used Clothing ! Zero Resale Value. Zero Duty Really. No Appeal. No Choice.

Prewarned I might pay half that.

High Value Business Coats & Shirts so paid ….

Paid 4,500 baht for “family surprise” UK Xmas Foods which after DHL Transport worked out same as if bought from Central Food Hall ! So justified Correct in fact. Paid 3,000 baht Duty for declared Documents. Again Zero Resale Value, ……. semi- gangsters……

I was sent one training shoe from the UK. They billed me all duties on that.

Better to use the Post Office system. Doesn't always get through without them hitting you up, but often does.

I often wonder if it might be better to address things to a Thai name rather than a foreign one. Just in case someone has the mindset of tax the rich farang.

Edited by phetphet

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

You seem to have some experience with Thai customs, could you possibly cast your eye over this ? 

If Import duty has been fully paid in the UK, included in the price, you will have no extra import duty and VAT to pay.  If it has not, the courier will charge the official duty rate, VAT and a small admin charge for collecting the duty on behalf of the Customs Dept.  All charges which will all be detailed on the delivery slip.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's you who thinks that you're a law unto yourself, it's your purchase that contravened the law by having it's value wrongly quoted.   Don't rant at Customs or DHL.  Jesus...

By the way duty, VAT and the DHL charge is normal, nothing to do with your illegally undervalued item.

Expand  

I wouldn't take it personally.

I'm not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G Rex said:

I did not ask the supplier to undervalue the item.  I have actually not done anything wrong.  Yes, I am aware that VAT & !0% Duty is chargeable.

Are you always this feisty ?   Or just having a bad day?

Anyway , this is a forum , so we are all entitled to our opinion & to have our say.

This is a forum , so we are all entitled to our opinion & to have our say.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This is a forum , so we are all entitled to our opinion & to have our say.

Umm.  I think I said that already…

Note to self - ignore English Dunnies

• Sad 1