Thai Customs Rant

G Rex

Anyway, I sent an email to my POC ( point of contact) at Bremont, I told them that I have heard horror stories about DHL, they confirmed today that they use FedEx and as they have a few shops in Thailand selling their products & have also sent special editions to a few people in Thailand without any problems, customs or otherwise, so I think I can worry slightly less for now.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You only think that you have cracked it.  Threatening DHL and the Customs Dept. after breaking the law won't help your case and they certainly won't give in and let you have the items just because of that threat.   They won't give a toss.   DHL probably won't return the item to the seller either, more than likely they will record it as delivery not accepted as a result of your refusal to pay import duty (paying that is your sole responsibility) so the chances of your getting your money refunded that way aren't good.

Hope you feel even better now.

I've rejected items in exactly the same way several times when DHL was involved.  In ALL cases the item(s) arrived at my door within a few days, no questions asked by the delivery person.  You don't threaten them, you simply say "send it back, I don't want it".  I've always taken the position that Customs can keep it if they want to, DHL can airfreight it back if they so desire, and there is some risk the vendor won't refund, but there is something fishy going on between Customs and DHL specifically and I won't be held ransom by either of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such nonsense.   I'm guessing that you don't understand what free trade agreements are and, specifically, what the China-Thailand FTA relates to.

China/Thailand, ASEAN/China free trade agreement, same horse different jockey. It still means that since 2010 there is NO customs duty payable on ANY items purchased from and shipped from China to Thailand. I've been purchasing a variety of items online from China of varying prices up to 200k THB and have NEVER been asked to pay any customs duty. The OP is being scammed.

So what have you been shipping in that you reckon is zero-rated?

"It still means that since 2010 there is NO customs duty payable on ANY items purchased from and shipped from China to Thailand".

As long as those items mainly relate to farming products and some uranium products.  It does not cover EVERYTHING shipped into Thailand from China!   You're shipping, either, farming related products tariffed at 0% or you've been very lucky.    Not every product from China to Thailand is  zero-rated, the OP is not being scammed.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Thai Dan said:
On 9/7/2021 at 9:32 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You only think that you have cracked it.  Threatening DHL and the Customs Dept. after breaking the law won't help your case and they certainly won't give in and let you have the items just because of that threat.   They won't give a toss.   DHL probably won't return the item to the seller either, more than likely they will record it as delivery not accepted as a result of your refusal to pay import duty (paying that is your sole responsibility) so the chances of your getting your money refunded that way aren't good.

Hope you feel even better now.

Expand  

I've rejected items in exactly the same way several times when DHL was involved.  In ALL cases the item(s) arrived at my door within a few days, no questions asked by the delivery person.  You don't threaten them, you simply say "send it back, I don't want it".  I've always taken the position that Customs can keep it if they want to, DHL can airfreight it back if they so desire, and there is some risk the vendor won't refund, but there is something fishy going on between Customs and DHL specifically and I won't be held ransom by either of them.

Yes, of course, you have.   It is well known that if anyone just refuses to pay legitimate import duty and VAT on imported items Customs and courier companies will let it go and deliver them anyway.   

Being asked to pay import duty and VAT on imported items is not "being held ransom".

On 9/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, digbeth said:

Chinese Stuff on Aliexpress or Thai online market like Lazada, Shopee or JD always comes in tax free, or at least the duty must have been pre-calculated in the freight, I think things from China enjoy some FTA deals where goods under certain amount comes in tax free.

I've only ever been charged duty from anywhere on items over Baht 1,500 in value.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what have you been shipping in that you reckon is zero-rated?

"It still means that since 2010 there is NO customs duty payable on ANY items purchased from and shipped from China to Thailand".

As long as those items mainly relate to farming products and some uranium products.  It does not cover EVERYTHING shipped into Thailand from China!   You're shipping, either, farming related products tariffed at 0% or you've been very lucky.    Not every product from China to Thailand is  zero-rated, the OP is not being scammed.

Not true. I've been purchasing cycling equipment ( bike computers, cadence & speed sensors, heart rate monitors, bicycles [ last 2 bikes valued at 62,000 baht each ], cycling shorts & shirts ), golf equipment ( shirts, golf balls, golf shoes, golf shafts ), general footwear & clothing, just to name a few. Never purchased anything to do with farming equipment or uranium products. My wife also buys numerous things online from China and has NEVER been asked to pay any customs/import duty.

That's why we buy from China and not elsewhere.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:27 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Thanks for confirming that he was wrong to say that Customs are a law unto themselves.  Whether it was him, or the vendor, it sure wasn't Customs fault.   Incidentally, why would any vendor (illegally) understate the value of the items unilaterally, i.e. without the buyers input?   That makes no sense?   

Could it be an issue of avoiding some problem with Chinese customs on sending or were they thinking to do the recipient a favor by underdeclaring?

On 9/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

That's a different subject, what you're referring to is online vendors in Thailand, with turnover exceeding a certain figure, having to register for VAT.   

For imported items, import duty plus VAT has always been levied on certain products/values, it's nothing new.

Actually I read about this in the Wall Street Journal last week. Sorry I didn't save the article. So it's an issue for international online sellers. I just ordered a book from amazon.uk, and there was no mention of Thai VAT. I guess that books are duty free, but VAT?

17 minutes ago, placnx said:

Actually I read about this in the Wall Street Journal last week. Sorry I didn't save the article. So it's an issue for international online sellers. I just ordered a book from amazon.uk, and there was no mention of Thai VAT. I guess that books are duty free, but VAT?

It's an issue for local online sellers.   Books are zero-rated for import duty but are subject to 7% VAT.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

24 minutes ago, placnx said:

Could it be an issue of avoiding some problem with Chinese customs on sending or were they thinking to do the recipient a favor by underdeclaring?

I'd be surprised if China's Customs levied duty on the export of the goods that the OP had ordered.

As the vendor would be well aware that falsely declaring the value of a shipment is illegal, why would he unilaterally do that, bearing in mind the risk that the buyer would then be exposed to as happened to the OP?

On 9/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, G Rex said:

Now I have cracked it & told DHL that if the item is not released in the next 24 hours, they can send it back to China & the vendor can reimburse me. 

Best part of four days later now, how did you get on with that?  

(I know, I know, they probably delivered it to you immediately with no duty, no VAT, no storage charges and no 50% penalty, yes?) 

DHL are the worst. Whenever I want to purchase something abroad and shipping option is DHL: cancel the order.

The hassles and additional costs are not worth it. Always hassles, always exceeding additional costs. Very shady business model, to say the least. They advertise cheap shipping rates - at the end they're the worst expensive. Plus all the hassles. Avoid DHL. They're bandits.

Edited by heiri007
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should you be asked to pay extra for a FDA-approved import?  However, when it is released and if you are charged in excess of laid down import duty, which is what this thread is about, don't forget to post the detailed receipt provided to you by DHL on delivery.  A lot of posters would love to see it.

See next comment.

Edited by placnx

On 9/9/2021 at 7:14 PM, ColtenSloan said:

I recently ordered a package of supplements from the US. Of course the company ships with DHL. 

It arrived to Thailand in about 5 days. 

BUT, now my package has been sitting in customs since Sunday morning. Probably going to be another week. As because it's supplements and protein powder, it needs to be approved by the Thai FDA before release. Which should not be a problem as it's a months supply which is ok in their guidelines.. 

I can only imagine what sort of extra cost I am going to be asked to pay upon release. Whenever this happens. 

I'm hoping soon. But each day I keep getting a tracking update that it's pending customs inspection. DHL says their waiting for FDA to process approval. 

What a sh*t show. 

Next time you should try to find this product in Thailand. Maybe somebody imports it. I found my magnesium malate supplements here. Makes life simpler!

2 hours ago, placnx said:
22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why should you be asked to pay extra for a FDA-approved import?  However, when it is released and if you are charged in excess of laid down import duty, which is what this thread is about, don't forget to post the detailed receipt provided to you by DHL on delivery.  A lot of posters would love to see it.

See next comment.

Why?  How does the next comment answer that question of why an approved import would require an "extra payment"

On 9/11/2021 at 1:46 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, of course, you have.   It is well known that if anyone just refuses to pay legitimate import duty and VAT on imported items Customs and courier companies will let it go and deliver them anyway.   

Being asked to pay import duty and VAT on imported items is not "being held ransom".

Point taken.  In my case I was referring to items where import duties were the responsibility of the seller.  Re-reading the OP I can see that may not have been the case here.  You are right to correct me because I normally won't import items where the duties and fees are not known at time of shipment and would be my responsibility.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:13 AM, digbeth said:

Chinese Stuff on Aliexpress or Thai online market like Lazada, Shopee or JD always comes in tax free, or at least the duty must have been pre-calculated in the freight, I think things from China enjoy some FTA deals where goods under certain amount comes in tax free.

Your choice in choosing DHL

DHL can't help it, they pay the duties all the time every time for speedy process, at least you got a reciept, but good luck trying to appeal that, things coming through the postal system you can appeal the valuation before coughing up the cash but that requires legwork

"I think things from China enjoy some FTA deals where goods under certain amount comes in tax free".

All goods valued under a certain amount won't have duty on them.    The only products that are zero-rated under the FTA are farming-related goods.

"things coming through the postal system you can appeal the valuation before coughing up the cash but that requires legwork"

The only legwork involved is asking the Post Office for a form to request revaluation.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"things coming through the postal system you can appeal the valuation before coughing up the cash but that requires legwork"

The only legwork involved is asking the Post Office for a form to request revaluation.

Some items won't get sent to the local post office, you have to pickup /appeal at Laksi sorting office,

18 hours ago, digbeth said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some items won't get sent to the local post office, you have to pickup /appeal at Laksi sorting office,

Such as what and in what circumstances?   I've had many dutiable items sent through the post and they've always been delivered to to the local delivering Post Office which sends out an advice that duty has to be paid and the item collected locally. 

Appeals do not have to be made at Laksi sorting office; the procedure starts at the local delivering office and the documentation is sent to the Customs Dept.    Customs decides the amount of duty, not Thailand Post, and an appealed item eventually has to be collected from Customs, in my experience. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou