Molar implant - types and pros and cons

heiri007

Out of nowhere a tooth broke. Dentist says teeth are otherwise in good condition. Happened a few months back. The gap healed quickly and nicely. Have no trouble eating and chewing.

Long story short: What are longer-term consequences of not having an implant?

Heard some stories that implants can do more harm than good.

If not, can anyone recommend a dentist / clinic / specific implant brand?

????

When you say tooth broke did you have what's left extracted? Because if there's enough left you might not need an implant, just a "core buildup and post" (what they call it) and crown on top.

I have had an extraction and was given to understand that a gap like that in the tooth line is not good for the jaw bone. Bone loss starts and if it's bad enough bone grafting might be needed before implanting.

Curious what you heard that implants can do more harm than good. As I'll probably be getting at least one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Why Me said:

When you say tooth broke did you have what's left extracted? Because if there's enough left you might not need an implant, just a "core buildup and post" (what they call it) and crown on top.

I have had an extraction and was given to understand that a gap like that in the tooth line is not good for the jaw bone. Bone loss starts and if it's bad enough bone grafting might be needed before implanting.

Curious what you heard that implants can do more harm than good. As I'll probably be getting at least one.

Tooth broke under the gum, so that makes the core redundant. Had to do an extraction - and boy that core was still strong! Must have bitten at one point in time on something that cracked the top of the tooth...

Someone suggested that an implant can do more harm than good to the local nerve system.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, heiri007 said:

Someone suggested that an implant can do more harm than good to the local nerve system.

Believe they may have been talking about nerve location - from my understanding if too close to nerve it might not be a good option or might require more experience than an average dentist to perform.  But in general implants are today.  I am from yesterday so have not had myself.????

On 9/15/2021 at 10:34 AM, heiri007 said:

Tooth broke under the gum, so that makes the core redundant. Had to do an extraction - and boy that core was still strong! Must have bitten at one point in time on something that cracked the top of the tooth...

I had something similar done about 30 years ago in New Zealand and everything has been fine since that time.

In addition, when the original post (yes it had been worked on before) was removed along with what was left of the previous tooth, it was found that an infection had eaten away part of the jawbone, so believe it or not, shavings of jawbone were taken from another part and inserted in the cleaned out hole.

Anyway to cut a long story short, it was a difficult procedure but not too expensive in those days, and it has stood the test of time.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1