Getting a statement from Bangkok bank now takes 3-5 days??

Hi

My retirement extension is due in 6 days now.  I was going to do it yesterday but Bangkok bank now takes 3-5 days to produce the statement that took them about 5 minuets to produce last year.  If they take the full 5 days, it won't give me much leeway for any problems. I guess I don't have any options this time, but can anyone tell me if they (the banks) have all changed to do this, of is there another bank I can move my money to so I won't have this problem again next year?  If Bangkok bank don't want my money I'm sure there are others that do.

Also, I was told the statement would be up to the previous day.  Unless the rules have changed I though it had to be the day I went to immigration and had to match the bank book.  I have enough cash to last me without making a withdrawal, but I'm not sure if there will be a problem when I go to Immigration?

I use Chaeng Wattana immigration all the time for my retirement extension.  Every year, my first stop on the day I do my retirement extension renewal, my first stop is at the Bangkok Bank in the lower level to get my bank letter. I provide them with both of my bank books, my passport, and I get my letter and bank books back without a long waiting time.  

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How long did you want the statement for?

For a one year statement it takes about 7 days normally at Bangkok Bank. For 1 month to 6 months it is done while you wait.

How long the statement needs to be for depends upon the office you apply at.

Some only want the bank book showing the previous 3 months.

Well, I thought it dad to be 12 months, but I might try going there today then with just my bank book.  I guess that way I'll find out if the rest of the info is correct for when I actually get the statement, if they want to see it.  I've recently moved and have only done 1 90 day check at new IO

1 minute ago, metisdead said:

I use Chaeng Wattana immigration all the time for my retirement extension.  Every year, my first stop on the day I do my retirement extension renewal, my first stop is at the Bangkok Bank in the lower level to get my bank letter. I provide them with both of my bank books, my passport, and I get my letter and bank books back without a long waiting time.  

Yes, I used to do the same.  It only took them 5 min.  I'll still check out other banks and move if the others can do it on the day.  No need to take 3-5 days for this.  It's quiet as far as foreigners go here anyway now.  (Hua Hin)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nopsled said:

is there another bank I can move my money to so I won't have this problem again next year?  If Bangkok bank don't want my money I'm sure there are others that do.

How about asking your bank for the statement say 10 days before you need to do your extension instead of leaving it to the last few days as Worgeordie suggested above.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, nopsled said:

Well, I thought it dad to be 12 months, but I might try going there today then with just my bank book.  I guess that way I'll find out if the rest of the info is correct for when I actually get the statement, if they want to see it.  I've recently moved and have only done 1 90 day check at new IO

It depends on whether you've been regularly keeping your bank book up to date or not. 

I hadn't & so had a period of about 3 months rolled up into 1 transaction which wouldn't have been acceptible to immigration (they need to be able to check that your balance hasn't gone below the 800/400K limits) so I went into the branch at Emporium and got a statement covering the missing 3 months (done while I waited) & then got an updated bank book & letter from the Bangkok Bank in the basement of CW on the day I extended.

Edited by Mike Teavee

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How about asking your bank for the statement say 10 days before you need to do your extension instead of leaving it to the last few days as Worgeordie suggested above.

Yes, I'll have to next time if I don't find another bank, but I was under the impression it had to be a statement dated up to the day I went to immigration.  I updated my bank book at the same time and was told they needed to match.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nopsled said:

Yes, I'll have to next time if I don't find another bank, but I was under the impression it had to be a statement dated up to the day I went to immigration.  I updated my bank book at the same time and was told they needed to match.

You cannot get your 12 month statement on the day, that as said before usually takes a week. It is only the letter confirming the balance which needs to be the same day, or day before for some IOs. I do an online transfer to another account, ANY account, the morning I go for my letter, update the book whilst waiting for the letter. Done.

• Like 2

Phetchabun Immigration Office now require a one year statement for the 800K in a Thai bank. 

My Brit neighbour did his last Friday and got the statement and bank letter on the day of his extension from the main Bangkok Bank branch in Phetchabun City. Do not use the BKB in Big C Mall. 

The statement was for his fixed deposit (orange book) savings account. Apart from interest being paid in, there was no account activity, he is fortunate in just leaving the 800K in the account. 

As an aside the same Imm Office refuses to issue a marriage extension based on monthly income from a decent pension for myself. 

I have to use the services of............ 

Edited by phutoie2
Grammar

22 hours ago, nopsled said:

If you are doing retirement income (from country that Embassy does not issue income letter) good to get full year statement covering last 12 deposits - it does not have to be to current date.  Then a second letter, such as done at Bangkok Bank CW that proves you own account and current balance.  Passbook also needs current balance printout and photo copies (there are several stalls on ground floor that can make copies - near North end on same side as Bangkok Bank).  

SCB can do the statement in Bkk in just 15' at least in their Head office in Bkk or in other Bkk main branches. Since SCB no longer has a branch in CW, this year I asked the letter one day before going to Immigration (and yes the statement is always up to one day earlier that the day you ask for it). Then, the following day I just withdraw some cash in the ATM and update the passbook and went to CW and all the documents were accepted. Keep in mind that usually (at least in CW) the letter from the bank can be from 7 days earlier to the day you submit the documents, but passbook always updated the same day.

10 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Update your bank book monthly then your bank can use that to provide immigration certification

Not all immigration offices will accept bank book only.

My immigration requests a 12 month statement from their head office ( Bangkok Bank ) which takes 3-4 days to arrive plus the bank book updated on the day.

• Like 2

Immigration have never asked me for a bank statement for my retirement extension, only a copy of the updated passbook.

However, for a guardian extension they require a 1 years bank statement, as well as the copy of the updated bankbook, and Kasikorn issue that immediately.

Edit: They also require, for some mysterious reason, copies of the Blue Book as proof of address for the guardian extension, even though a foreigner cannot be included in a Blue Book?

Edited by LongTimeLurker