No guarantees of entertainment/nightlife opening for October tourism reopening proposal in Pattaya, officials want to focus on cultural and natural activities

webfact

7 hours ago, bangon04 said:

"in Pattaya, officials want to focus on cultural and natural activities"

In Pattaya - definitions may vary........

I am sure the officials have been helping out the poor massage girls and focusing on natural activities purely to assist the local economy and give it a boost.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soon as the corona thing is over it'll be back to business as usual. Too much money in it for that not to happen.

It will be, but the centre of the nightlife will no longer be Walking Street, and online pick ups will be a lot more common.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, Scouse123 said:

So you think that the government are out to attract customers that don't want to drink and socialize in bars and restaurants and that only sex tourists do that?

That's the daftest explanation I have heard to date to justify locking down entertainment venues!

And all the customers in this new ' Utopia ' are going to be teetotal, spend their holidays looking at glass and painted gold temples and in bed by 8pm?

' enshrined in the constitution ' where the hell did you get that one from?

I remember a while ago their esteemed ' Big Joke ' getting his car shot up in Bangkok's ' massage parlour ' district, a euphemism for the knocking shop streets!

Wjho are you trying to kid here ?? Thais are the biggest customers of prostitutes!

The Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) is enshrined in the latest version of the Thai constitution. Read here: https://www.eeco.or.th/en/filedownload/1148/file_English version

Thais visiting prostitutes has nothing to do with Thailand wanting rid of sex-tourism. Often the most conservative people are the most hypocritical.

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Scouse123 said:

Those asses in government don't think that far ahead and you give them way too much credit.

Do you know many of them?

I do business with some of them, know a few of them personally, not well but enough. I think you are vastly underestimating some of them.

I've met Anutin at a charity dinner, he's not a stupid man either.

Keep thinking you know it all as you wobble about on your bar-stool though. Cheers.

• Haha 1

Those of us that have been here long enough will remember the pogroms against alcohol and entertainment venues by Purachai back in the early 00's, when it was openly announced that they wanted rid of Thailand's seedy image. Cue a raft of new laws including 2am closing times and alcohol bans on more holidays and election days. These were accompanied by raids on places deemed indecent or immoral. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Without the massive sex trade / night life here, what else has Pattaya got to offer?  It sure isn't the beach.  

They might be able to sell it to the Chinese, Indian, and Russian package holiday tourists, but there's no money in them.  

If we can just imagine for one moment a real crack down on the sex trade here, yes, funny, but imagine it actually happened, what else does Pattaya have left to sell, and to who?  

You are preaching to the converted mate, I have to live here!

Do you think it will ever get back to the way it was pre-covid? I don't.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) is enshrined in the latest version of the Thai constitution. Read here: https://www.eeco.or.th/en/filedownload/1148/file_English version

Thais visiting prostitutes has nothing to do with Thailand wanting rid of sex-tourism. Often the most conservative people are the most hypocritical.

An economic corridor has got damn all to do with bar openings and closures, alcohol consumption nor the freedom to drink a glass of wine or two with a meal for people in a restaurant. Your link means nothing.

You are away once again trying to justify yourself by comparing apples and oranges to back up your outlandish statements.

Also right now in the midst of a pandemic I think is hardly the time to be pushing through any agendas or your lofty views that reduce tourism.

Thailand has been talking about ' cleaning up its seedy image ' for over 30 years to my knowledge. A ' seedy image ' doesn't just apply to sex bars, it applies to seizing power by force, it applies to rampant visible corruption, it is Extra judicial killings, tourists safety, human rights violations, (such as pushing Rohingha boats back out to sea), Thai prison system, copyright laws, and plenty of other areas where Thailand and all nations are judged to be in their standing in the world rankings.

Yet, you seem to zoom in and say that they focus on seedy goings on in Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, and Pattaya, where big players and powerful Thais in this country, who are not afraid of Prayut or his government are heavily invested. We have seen the whitewash investigations on such as Koh Tao and plenty of other examples.

Every government in Thailand for the last 50 years is going to stamp out corruption, make it easier for foreign countries to trade, allow foreigners to own land etc etc, what changes?................. Nothing!........................ except they tighten their grip on power until there is blood on the streets again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You are preaching to the converted mate, I have to live here!

Do you think it will ever get back to the way it was pre-covid? I don't.

I live here also.  

Pre covid, particularly just before covid, the 2019/20 high season was the quietest high season I have ever seen here for western tourists.  This was also confirmed to me by several business owners.  With covid causing financial hardship to many around the world, I would think holidays to Thailand will be on hold for many, for quite some time, post covid.

I am not sure how a post covid is going to change what was already happening pre covid.  

Then, there is the rise of online meeting of Thai hookers here.  This was also gaining popularity pre covid.  It's sure to digitally disrupt the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model here.  Covid has seen the increased popularity of hook up apps and live streaming.  This will surely continue when Thailand has opened up.  

In my opinion, Walking Street will not get back to pre covid.  The Thai landlords there were pushing the market, and even pre covid it appeared they pushed the market passed what it was prepared to pay.   Those high rents get passed on to tourists.

There's the rise of cheap rent Tree Town bars, and whilst this area has not yet been tested for popularity, the bars there are sure to put pressure on bricks and mortar bars in Central Pattaya.  

So, I would tend to agree with you, many things, and many areas, will not get back to what they were pre covid.  

On 9/18/2021 at 2:37 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Those of us that have been here long enough will remember the pogroms against alcohol and entertainment venues by Purachai back in the early 00's, when it was openly announced that they wanted rid of Thailand's seedy image. Cue a raft of new laws including 2am closing times and alcohol bans on more holidays and election days. These were accompanied by raids on places deemed indecent or immoral. 

I remember it well. I was leaving Pattaya when his hit squad of cops from Bkk arrived to crack down on the farang nite life.

As the nite life decreased, the crime rate increased.

IMO the nite scene never recovered to what it had been previously.

I hope there is a seat in hell reserved for that man.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

I live here also.  

Pre covid, particularly just before covid, the 2019/20 high season was the quietest high season I have ever seen here for western tourists.  This was also confirmed to me by several business owners.  With covid causing financial hardship to many around the world, I would think holidays to Thailand will be on hold for many, for quite some time, post covid.

I am not sure how a post covid is going to change what was already happening pre covid.  

Then, there is the rise of online meeting of Thai hookers here.  This was also gaining popularity pre covid.  It's sure to digitally disrupt the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model here.  Covid has seen the increased popularity of hook up apps and live streaming.  This will surely continue when Thailand has opened up.  

In my opinion, Walking Street will not get back to pre covid.  The Thai landlords there were pushing the market, and even pre covid it appeared they pushed the market passed what it was prepared to pay.   Those high rents get passed on to tourists.

There's the rise of cheap rent Tree Town bars, and whilst this area has not yet been tested for popularity, the bars there are sure to put pressure on bricks and mortar bars in Central Pattaya.  

So, I would tend to agree with you, many things, and many areas, will not get back to what they were pre covid.  

Tree town bars???