The Phuket Sandbox does not help most small business owners, says local entrepreneurs

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Nyonya said:

All the farangs who open restaurants and shops would be begging in the streets of thailand and their sawadikap wife's be forced onto returning to become masseurs or work as prostitutes again. Its a reality I am afraid. 

So, does it mean farangs come here to mary prostitute brides? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ChipButty said:

Things look pretty desperate over there

Yes, I've noticed since July 1, more small shops/restaurants have opened their doors but the 'customers' just aren't here. ( as stated on another post here false promises for locals )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Everyone gambled that international tourism was going to be the great saviour of Phuket, what they did was stop domestic tourism in favour of a handful of international travelers... 

Som nam na.

No, you should know better by now, that was not the point of the sandbox.

They stopped domestic tourism by the way after it brought in covid infections.

• Like 2

Quite simply this government does not want the small businesses to exist because it cannot control them like it does the big "Chinese" conglomerates. The sooner Thailand is cleared of independent creative thinkers and business people the happier the junta will be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

No, you should know better by now, that was not the point of the sandbox.

They stopped domestic tourism by the way after it brought in covid infections.

What was the point of the sandbox then, if not to attract foreign tourists and their spending power?

and the reason they stopped domestic tourism was to drive down Covid cases in order to justify being able to launch the sandbox. I’m with the previous poster, they prioritized an attempt to attract foreign tourists, over domestic tourism.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Poor people will always remain poor. It's education and influence, they can't see what is happening, and that's okay. It's outside their brain capacity.

Every single person who arrives spends. They might spend in a Resort, but that resort has employees who spend their wages in the community.  Everyone gets paid, maybe not directly, but they get something. They get nothing if the borders are closed.

I know these people now want the country open, and I get it, but I also get that if they throw open the country's doors, the virus will spread, and Thailand will remain on the 'red lists.' That's the catch.

Opening with more controlled Sandbox programmes will most likely be the best way forward. Not what I want, and I say 'OPEN THE DOORS' and let the strong survive. A great way to cull the population.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kata, Karon, Surin etc all pretty empty. However, if you travel around there are localised areas that are pretty busy such as Patong, Laguna..

For example, it was nice to see Bangla road in Patong pretty much full late evening yesterday with many outlets open. Quiet in the day and lights out at 10:30pm but I haven't seen it that busy since before Covid landed.

Edited by Rhacsyn
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I know these people now want the country open, and I get it, but I also get that if they throw open the country's doors, the virus will spread, and Thailand will remain on the 'red lists.' That's the catch.

The virus is already in and it's the worst variant - delta spreads fast.

The visitors with covid likely caught it in Phuket.

There is still only one answer : Get the people vaccinated. Is that so difficult? No, but it does mean spending a bit of money.

All Thailand succeeds in doing with these silly scams is to further damage its reputation.

• Like 1