Thailand to try alternative COVID-19 vaccination method to stretch supplies

snoop1130

2021-09-20T121748Z_2_LYNXMPEH8J0FY_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People receive the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine as the Thai resort island of Phuket rushes to vaccinate its population amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, and ahead of a July 1 ending of strict quarantine for overseas visitors, to bring back tourism revenue in Phuket, Thailand, April 2, 2021. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Doctors in Thailand have been given the go-ahead to start giving COVID-19 booster shots under the skin, rather than injecting them into muscles, officials said on Monday, in an effort to strengthen immunity and stretch vaccine supplies.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the method, which doctors began exploring last month, could be used at the discretion of medical professionals, providing it was supported by evidence.

Chalermpong Sukonthaphon, director of the Vachira Hospital in Phuket, said his hospital had been given the green light to use the technique from Friday, as trials had showed it triggered a similar immune response to the regular method.

"One vaccine dose can be used for five intradermal injections," Chalermpong told Reuters.

Phuket's population was among the first to be inoculated in Thailand, as a pre-requisite for the island to reopen to vaccinated foreign tourists in July.

Starting in April they received two doses of the vaccine of Sinovac, for which booster shots of other vaccines have been issued in several countries after concerns about its resistance to the Delta COVID-19 variant.

Thailand has turned to unconventional approaches due to problems in supplies, despite manufacturing the AstraZeneca vaccine locally.

So far, only 21% of the estimated 72 million people living in the country have been fully vaccinated.

Authorities have also decided to administer separate shots of Sinovac's vaccine followed by that of AstraZeneca, a technique yet to be adopted elsewhere.

Thailand has reported more than 1.4 million infections and 15,000 deaths, the majority since April this year.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-09-20

• Confused 4
  • Sad 14
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

It is an absolute disaster/craziness/you name it to read how Thai health officials create new ideas every day and endanger the health and lives of their citizens. Just this week
- boosters under the skin instead of in the muscles to save vaccines...

- human trial with 100'000 STUDENTS in BKK, using the Chinese stuff instead of a real vaccine (Pfizer was promised for all students just days before)

- only one mRNA shot for students due to some fear of myocarditis which was never expressed anywhere in the world, leaving the students at risk

- mixture of vaccines that NOBODY ELSE in the world is trying to do/ accepting

- opening the country, when they are definitely not ready for it. The risk for the country is of course coming from within and NOT from the tourists, as those would mostly come fully vaccinated.

To me, it looks like everybody wearing a white coat or a khaki uniform is now qualified to utter his opinion as "fact" in order to get his 5 minutes of fame (and later shame), but not a single one of these <deleted myself> ever listens to what the WORLD as a whole has already experienced. 

pretty good post that 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is interesting.  From what I have read having some feeling, pain and swelling is actually a good thing as it shows your body is responding to the vaccine and starting to create antibodies. 

I also felt nothing when I got my 2nd Pfizer shot. The following day I was quite sick, it lasted 2 days, so I was reassured.

• Like 1

I had my second dose of pfizer yesterday. At first I felt fine, a little headache but nothing too bad. Today I feel like I did 10 rounds with Tyson Fury. My body is aching all over.  I feel like I got the mother of all flu. Had the shakes last night and couldn't sleep.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has turned to unconventional approaches due to problems in supplies, despite manufacturing the AstraZeneca vaccine locally.

So far, only 21% of the estimated 72 million people living in the country have been fully vaccinated.

And they're about to embark on another one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chalermpong Sukonthaphon, director of the Vachira Hospital in Phuket, said his hospital had been given the green light to use the technique from Friday, as trials had showed it triggered a similar immune response to the regular method.

Which doctors started exploring last month?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Talk about wash your hands of it, again, no responsibility being shown here by Anutin, instead passes it onto medical professionals discretion........

Frankly, if it was a choice between someone whose background is in construction and those who are medical professionals, I know who I would trust.

• Haha 2