Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

4 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

They are right, he is not above the law and has to be isolated if positive. I don't think Samui has a home isolation program that would be able to accommodate him. Obviously shouldn't have taken his passport though but yes, if you don't pay your hospital bill, you can expect to be deported in many countries or have your visa cancelled or not able to renew. Wonder what he is "volunteering" for now after his restaurant went out of business. If it's like all the other volunteers that suddenly popped up after the borders closed, then he shouldn't be bringing attention to himself if he wants to stay in Thailand.

Suggest you re-read your post. Insert yourself as the person experiencing this and consider the criticism and smug judgement that you have imposed upon yourself.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

It was said that all covid treatment would be free for foreigners too.  He seems to the victim of a rule that mandated him to stay at that hospital- presumably where the test took place.  I'm sure a field hospital could have taken him.  The thing is you can protect yourself up to a point, but Thailand is full of absurdity.  But I agree in the main.

From what I've been told there are no field hospitals here...only Hospitels, the main one being in Lamai.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robblok said:

For those that make remarks about his passport being held. It seems that is the only reason he paid. Because he needed his visa extended and did not want trouble.

So it seems he could pay but did not want to pay. So who can blame a hospital to hold a passport then. When people are only willing to pay if there are serious consequences. I read often about  of people trying to run away from bill from hospitals or banks.

So is it really that bad that they try to counter this even if its not legal. Obviously the legal consequences dont scare people.

No hospital can hold your passport as the passport belongs to the country of issue and not to the individual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, firestar said:

Usually I would agree BUT...

I was sent to that hospital which is a cheap hospital where the Thais with social security go and usually the cheapest on the Island. From the minute I walked in an English speaking lady called me too and said : " You have insurance what is the maximum for room, what is the maximum for doctor, what is the maximum for nurse, what is your plan so I can look online... "

They charged my insurance the max and charged me on top didnt even provide me with a bar of soap, a towel or a toothbrush. I then transferred to an expensive private hospital where they actually charged my insurance and myself LESS

________

And this has bearing on this case how ? I mean he is not disputing the charges or that he was billed too much. He just expected it to be free.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is the important part of this story. Thai people are isolating at home, why wasn't he allowed to do so?

Only in certain areas where hospitals could not cope with the numbers could people do home quarantine. It certainly was not something that was offered everywhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

This is the important part of this story. Thai people are isolating at home, why wasn't he allowed to do so?

It could be that rule has only recently been introduced. I'm pretty sure they now want to clear hospitals of less serious cases.  

20 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I think ALL hospital costs should be free with extension visas, simply as you are contributing more every day to the economy than the average Thai will pay in to the government hospital fund !

So you think I should get a free hospital treatment because I can afford to buy single malt at Tops?

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

No hospital can hold your passport as the passport belongs to the country of issue and not to the individual.

People should pay their bills too. Seems both things did not happen. Sorry Bild i feel no pity with people who don't pay hospital bills. You read it quite often that people try to skip on their bills. 

Both are legally not sound and in this case he would not have paid if they did not have his passport. 

If he has a problem with the procedure hospitals must follow (The hospitals have no choice) then he should sue the goverment. The hospital and hotel have nothing to do with this. So he is holding an innocent party their money hostage after they have delivered services. 

You cannot blame the hospital to follow the goverment mandate. You also cannot blame them for wanting their money. Basically the guy should have had insurance and those could have been bought for around a 1000bt. 

Too many people defending the guy, lots seems a lot don't bat an eye to skip on bills no wonder hospitals hold onto passports.

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It could be that rule has only recently been introduced. I'm pretty sure they now want to clear hospitals of less serious cases.  

It was only introduced in certain areas where hospitals and field hospitals were overflowing. It was not an option in other cases. 

27 minutes ago, Neilly said:

From what I've been told there are no field hospitals here...only Hospitels, the main one being in Lamai.

I had a look at the Aura hospitel on FB, if that's the one in Lamai it looks pretty nice,  much better place to stay than my ASQ hotel in Bangkok.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leveraged said:

I for one sure wouldn’t be defending a passport thieving hospital who threatens patients who are nothing more than a victim of the pandemic and it’s local fallout. 

No you would not, I would because one could have bought a insurance for a 1000 bt. 

So are all those people me included who bought insurance idiots. Because following your reasoning people should not pay hospitals because we are victims of a pandemic.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I never take my passport with me. Just a Thai DL. Always accepted.

Remember though that there are lots of foreigners here that happily hand their passport over to back street motorbike rental places.

I would imagine that the hospital staff and other random idiots involved would have no problem ganging up on an isolated foreigner and blocking them from leaving before they hand over some form of collateral. Thais and thai police are not shy of violence

Just now, Jingthing said:

Yep.

I call it the criminalization of infection.

Its because people follow the rules so well. 

Its stupid that this has to be done but people don't quarantine and there is not enough manpower to police it. 

I certainly would not like it one bit no normal person would but its a result of people not following the rules. 

It certainly is a reason to not test. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

No you would not, I would because one could have bought a insurance for a 1000 bt. 

So are all those people me included who bought insurance idiots. Because following your reasoning people should not pay hospitals because we are victims of a pandemic.

I don’t know of any legit covid insurance that you can buy for 1000baht, and just because you can afford it, doesn’t mean that others can too. 

Seems like you’re just sneering at people less fortunate than you who are hard-up through no fault of their own. 

We aren’t talking about some dude who skipped out of bills, the guy lost his business and his income because of the virus, and here you are giving another kick and a sneer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

How is the situation the same does the guy dispute having stayed in a quarantine hotel ? He is not being billed for things he did not use. Just to make things clear most of his costs are probably the hotel not hospital. So no bearing on the situation. He just stayed a day in the hospital before being transferred to the hotel. (those are two differeent things)

This is why arguing with people on the internet who haven't lived a situation is pointless.

You are still billed by the hospital, they have an agreement that they move you to a different location but they bill you, and charge you pretty much what they want.

See : "The email goes on to say they are a government hospital who follows the law."

He has a dispute with THE HOSPITAL not the hotel

• Like 1

Just now, Leveraged said:

I don’t know of any legit covid insurance that you can buy for 1000baht, and just because you can afford it, doesn’t mean that others can too. 

Seems like you’re just sneering at people less fortunate than you who are hard-up through no fault of their own. 

We aren’t talking about some dude who skipped out of bills, the guy lost his business and his income because of the virus, and here you are giving another kick and a sneer.

There were plenty and people posten even other links showing lower prices. If you can't afford a 1000 bt for a year of insurance then you got a huge problem. Not having insurance is a choice. Covid was popping up everywhere and he decided not to take insurance. 

He was trying to skip on his bill and only paid because they had his passport, can you explain to me how he could not afford 1000bt insurance but can pay for the 60k for the hospital ? Last time I checked 1k was less then 60K. So this was a choice. 

• Like 2