Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

16 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

Doctors and hospitals here don’t give you an upfront cost . You’re hit with a bill at the end where you could get stunned ! 

I think its impossible to give an exact cost upfront. Just like many things in life you never know what they encounter during treatment and operations ect. They can give you an estimate and so on but never a 100% accurate price. Just does not work that way.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Topic beaten to death...

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

Well worth it for piece of mind, I bought from here a few months ago when it was a little cheaper and better benefits but its still worth it now.

There's also this one

https://rabbit.finance/expats-covid-center/?_ef_transaction_id=undefined

Seems to me these policies cover medical treatment due to Covid only and not quarantine costs?

56 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

Keyword: legit. You did not get legit insurance. You got scammed because you, like most others, don’t know how to read policies and fine print. 

I don't want to argue for the sake of arguing, but these insurances are legit...depending what you get it for. They are good only for mild/asymptomatic cases.

You would think that 1000 baht/year insurance is dirt cheap and therefore unlikely to be legit, but this is not the case.

In April I ran the numbers for them and they were actually more expensive than a normal insurance. The Roojai insurance has ONLY covid coverage 2.5k euro for 1000 baht, to get more realistic ICU cover of 250k euro multiply it by X 100 and all of a sudden it looks very expensive. Travel insurance from ACS with 250k euro cover is cheaper, and it would cover all medical conditions, not just covid.  Covid didn't cancel the other emergencies and road accidents. 

However they are good complimentary insurances if your main insurance doesn't cover asymptomatic cases.

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Seems to me these policies cover medical treatment due to Covid only and not quarantine costs?

This is not a quarantine....you are in sort of a way in a hospital. Think of a hospitel as if the hospital drilled a hole through the wall and joined a shed outside with hospital beds attached to it.

Same as the ASQ...you are in quarantine in the hotel, if you test positive they'll move you to a hospital (if they have beds) or maybe to hospitel if you are asymptomatic.

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

Apparently this is not a hotel bill, it is a hospital bill for covid treatment. Logically the policies covering asymptomatic cases would cover it.

Hospital bill for 1 night 60000 baht?
Expensive even for Europe...
It looks like they take advantage of him..

what a shame!

Tony

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TonyFromItaly said:

Hospital bill for 1 night 60000 baht?
Expensive even for Europe...
It looks like they take advantage of him..

what a shame!

Tony

Tony,

Following a one night stay in the hospital he was obliged to quarantine for two weeks in the Aura "hospitel". He was not seriously ill.

Read before you post. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rbkk said:

The wife got me a Dhipaya Insurance Covid-19 policy, top one, 800 baht. Seems I might be better off catching Covid-19 and claiming costs (Up to 100,000 baht) than not having Covid-19 and getting stitched with a Quarantine 'Hospitel' bill. The small print of the policy is all in Thai so not too sure where I stand re:'Hospitels.' 

Is that 800 baht a one-time fee, monthly, annually?

2 minutes ago, firestar said:

Nomenclature, there is no field hospital, the governement hospital has a dorm but if you don't have social security you/your insurance will be charged just the same.

Your saying they charge the same for a dorm room at the hospital as staying private in the place that Brit CHOOSE to stay. I mean why could he then not stay in the dorm ? 

Im a bit confused is that what you mean or do you mean you will still have to pay but a much lower amount ? Can you make clear what you mean ?

hotel.JPG

7 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It is actually against international law and in violation of several treaties, for a private entity or business to confiscate one's passport.....

Mighty fine negotiating point.

The police or ones government only this does not include the motorbike rental scammers as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your saying they charge the same for a dorm room at the hospital as staying private in the place that Brit CHOOSE to stay. I mean why could he then not stay in the dorm ? 

Im a bit confused is that what you mean or do you mean you will still have to pay but a much lower amount ? Can you make clear what you mean ?

hotel.JPG

Nope you would be charged MORE in the dorm than Hospitel but less than private room, my first night was in the dorm and cost well over 10k because you would be charged for a host of other services like a doctor you never saw, nurse fees etc

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

People should pay their bills too. Seems both things did not happen. Sorry Bild i feel no pity with people who don't pay hospital bills. You read it quite often that people try to skip on their bills. 

Both are legally not sound and in this case he would not have paid if they did not have his passport. 

If he has a problem with the procedure hospitals must follow (The hospitals have no choice) then he should sue the goverment. The hospital and hotel have nothing to do with this. So he is holding an innocent party their money hostage after they have delivered services. 

You cannot blame the hospital to follow the goverment mandate. You also cannot blame them for wanting their money. Basically the guy should have had insurance and those could have been bought for around a 1000bt. 

Too many people defending the guy, lots seems a lot don't bat an eye to skip on bills no wonder hospitals hold onto passports.

Some people, in fact an awful lot of people, are finding it difficult to make ends meet. It's a bit high minded in all honesty rob. You make it sound like he was simply gaming the system. That does happen, but I think for many it's a case of not being able to afford it.  Anyway, in this case he was forced in to an overly big bill against his will.  Maybe it was bad luck.  Yesterday, in Surat Thani there were 120 new cases- I can't believe all of those people are being made to stay in an expensive hospital for 2 weeks.

It is actually against international law and in violation of several treaties, for a private entity or business to confiscate one's passport.....

That is because as far as the UK is concerned the passport does not belong to the holder, it belongs to the Crown/Government:-

"The inclusion of ‘Her Majesty’s’ in the title recognises that passports are the property of the Crown, bear the Royal Coat of Arms and are issued under the Royal Prerogative."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, firestar said:

Nope you would be charged MORE in the dorm than Hospitel but less than private room, my first night was in the dorm and cost well over 10k because you would be charged for a host of other services like a doctor you never saw, nurse fees etc

So he would be charged more because you have. In other words again B.S.

You really don't know when to give up do you. I am not disputing what happend to you as I have no proof. However in this case your argument is weak. Your a bit blinded but that is ok I think ill give up because you are almost as mad as covid deniers. Besides if that happened he could really complain. 

Basically your saying because it happened tome it will happen to everyone..that is a bad argument. 

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Some people, in fact an awful lot of people, are finding it difficult to make ends meet. It's a bit high minded in all honesty rob. You make it sound like he was simply gaming the system. That does happen, but I think for many it's a case of not being able to afford it.  Anyway, in this case he was forced in to an overly big bill against his will.  Maybe it was bad luck.  Yesterday, in Surat Thani there were 120 new cases- I can't believe all of those people are being made to stay in an expensive hospital for 2 weeks.

I just found out that Samui DOES have something they call a field hospital but according to some its just a ward at the hospital. (Acting Koh Samui public health chief Apidet Promkhum said others who attended the party were being quarantined at a field hospital on the island.)

Look mate he consulted a lawyer(do you think that is free), he could pay 10 k easy before. So it does not look as if he had no cash to pay for insurance . He was really angry he had to pay because he thought it was free. These kind of people who think they are right will often not pay. You say he was not gaming the system and believe the guy. I just don't his actions don't look like it. I seen many topics on Thaivisa about people skipping out on creditcard debt and other stuff. The responses are often stick it to the banks stick it to the hospitals. That kind of stuff does enforce my opinion. 

About the 120 cases, i think there is a field hospital, they said as much in the BKK post. Poster here deny it and say its a hospital ward. I am not sure. But I do know that in BKK and other places when you get sick you get quarantined. No escape been in the news a lot. So why would it be different in other places in Thailand. Thais also complained about this form of quarantine. I think you will still be stuck in a hospital / field hospital when you test positive. 

I cant really believe you missed all this I mean there were many articles about this in the papers. So its standard procedure. Why do you think many dont want to be tested. Thais also have to pay for the hotel like ones but NOT for the field hospitals. 

i was wondering indeed what happans if i get infected.

now i got the answer.

how could it be any different?

milking the farang as much as they can.

on the other hand, thai are also forced to get into isolation in A state facility, but in

much worse conditions.

i guess anyone coming to thailand should expect this. but not anyone is aware of this.

• Like 2

In court maybe - but it'd be a Thai court. 

No leverage at all in reality.

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

So he would be charged more because you have. In other words again B.S.

You really don't know when to give up do you. I am not disputing what happend to you as I have no proof. However in this case your argument is weak. Your a bit blinded but that is ok I think ill give up because you are almost as mad as covid deniers. Besides if that happened he could really complain. 

Basically your saying because it happened tome it will happen to everyone..that is a bad argument. 

Goodness me I have never seen anything like it! Even by internet standards. Unbelievable.

We were all there at the same time, for the same thing, my insurance who I have a very good relationship with was also not happy and spoke at lengh to me about it and what is going on there.

I base my opinion on being there and having first hand knowledge. While you base yours entirely on assumptions and desperatly trying to make things fit your narative because god forbid you could be on the wrong side of the argument this time. Unreal

-------

Edited by firestar
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, firestar said:

Goodness me I have never seen anything like it! Even by internet standards. Unbelievable.

We were all there at the same time, for the same thing, my insurance who I have a very good relationship with was also not happy and spoke at lengh to me about it and what is going on there.

I base my opinion on being there and having first hand knowledge. While you base yours entirely on assumtions and desperatly trying to make things fit your narative because god forbid you could be on the wrong side of the argument this time. Unreal

-------

Your opinion is based on YOUR experience. You extrapolate that because you were scammed everyone  will be scammed. I am 100% sure I am not on the wrong side of this argument. You forget 1 really important thing, but then again you think your so smart and your right. What the hospital did with you was because you had an insurance, this is something that indeed happens in some hospitals at times. However this guy had no insurance and was sure to question the bill as he had to pay. So you are saying you two case are the same ?

YOU claim that they will charge him more for a room in the dorm then in a quarantine hotel. I dispute that, they could never ever do that for covid treatment. It would cause a riot if pictures of a bill like that would be made public. Just totally impossible no way they could justify it.

Anyway you just keep believing what you want ill go with logic. So far it has served me well. 

53 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Is that 800 baht a one-time fee, monthly, annually?

One-time annual fee. Purchased through an agent. Oddly their site used to come up in English for me but now I can't see how to change to English. The wife has her Thai Life Insurance license and said this was the best available for foreigners at the time. She is not here for me to check at the moment about whether the same policy is available now.

https://www.dhipaya.co.th/

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

Your opinion is based on YOUR experience. You extrapolate that because you were scammed everyone  will be scammed. I am 100% sure I am not on the wrong side of this argument. You forget 1 really important thing, but then again you think your so smart and your right. What the hospital did with you was because you had an insurance, this is something that indeed happens in some hospitals at times. However this guy had no insurance and was sure to question the bill as he had to pay. So you are saying you two case are the same ?

YOU claim that they will charge him more for a room in the dorm then in a quarantine hotel. I dispute that, they could never ever do that for covid treatment. It would cause a riot if pictures of a bill like that would be made public. Just totally impossible no way they could justify it.

Anyway you just keep believing what you want ill go with logic. So far it has served me well. 

I don't need to "believe" I KNOW the dorm is more since I was in both unlike you who is reading about it. I also KNOW other cases with and without insurance, samui is a small place and we had plenty of time to talk about it. My insurance Aetna/Bupa knows even more and they agree.

I've been operated for deviated septum at Bumrungrad, broken foot at Samitivej, appendicitis Bangkok hospital I've always been ok with prices here you are given no choice.

Dorm is not free or cheaper depending on you having insurance or not. It is dependant on you having social security