Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

3 minutes ago, firestar said:

This is why arguing with people on the internet who haven't lived a situation is pointless.

You are still billed by the hospital, they have an agreement that they move you to a different location but they bill you, and charge you pretty much what they want.

See : "The email goes on to say they are a government hospital who follows the law."

He has a dispute with THE HOSPITAL not the hotel

Maybe you should check the prices of ASQ hotels and check the hotel online. Like others said its a really nice hotel. The price is not really that high for ASQ hotels. So they are not ripping him off. Its a normal price for that hotel. 

2 minutes ago, firestar said:

This is why arguing with people on the internet who haven't lived a situation is pointless.

You are still billed by the hospital, they have an agreement that they move you to a different location but they bill you, and charge you pretty much what they want.

See : "The email goes on to say they are a government hospital who follows the law."

He has a dispute with THE HOSPITAL not the hotel

It would be a combined bill,  the hotel bills the hospital for its services, and it would be embedded in the final hospital bill (most likely not itemised for the hotel part).

The hospital can overcharge you if you are insured (and probably even if you are not), so it pays to ask beforehand what is the cost. As it is mild/asymptomatic case, they would have very good idea what the total bill would be, if they pretend they don't know I would suspect massive overcharging.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe you should check the prices of ASQ hotels and check the hotel online. Like others said its a really nice hotel. The price is not really that high for ASQ hotels. So they are not ripping him off. Its a normal price for that hotel. 

I would expect the medical part bill for the hospitel to be higher than ASQ,  all customers would have covid, and they may have a doctor on site, at least for some part of the day. The ASQ hotels have only a nurse, and she probably serves multiple hotels, as most of the time she just records temperature readings via LINE or phone.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

That is cute but you are not charged ASQ hotel prices when you test positive.

You would know that if you tested positive in Samui.

Again you are more worried about being right and not being "shown up" while talking about a particular situation you know nothing about rather than maybe listening to the points someone who lived it is making and realize you don't know everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Foreigners have been ignoring the test results for a while now.

I know a number of people who have self-tested positive (ATK) and just stayed at home.

They were showing mild symptoms and even managed to pass it on to family members.

My GF tells me many  Thais have been doing the same by self isolating rather than go to hospital to see if they have the Covid 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

https://www.roojai.com/en/covid/

Im sorry they increased the price to 1194 bt but as you can read in this topic it was previously under a 1000 bt. Given the fact that this is a case from the past he could have had it for under a 1000 bt.

Im not going to look further as i feel i got close enough with this try. No need for you to remove your account even if i can find cheaper. Think this pretty much shows it.

Didn’t even get close as those cheap ass policies don’t cover you for asymptomatic hospital stays. They cover for medical treatment, and there is a stark difference. This subject has been beaten to death on social media outside of this dumpster fire of a forum and there are only 2 insurers who actually pay without drama and that’s AXA and Luma. Both are very much more expensive. 

3 minutes ago, firestar said:

That is cute but you are not charged ASQ hotel prices when you test positive.

You would know that if you tested positive in Samui.

Again you are more worried about being right and not being "shown up" while talking about a particular situation you know nothing about rather than maybe listening to the points someone who lived it is making and realize you don't know everything.

You are charged a higher then normal rate for these hotels as they have nurses and dr on site. Because everyone has covid. Sorry mate maybe you should be a bit more open minded. You assume that he is being ripped off and charged inflated prices without any proof besides the fact that you have been overcharged. That is not proof at all.

https://asq.in.th/aslq-thailand-hotels/aura-samui-best-beach-hotel-samui-extra-plus-sandbox

below the hotel that he stayed in.. look at how nice and big and you still think it overcharged ? its inclusive food an all.

hotel.JPG

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I got one from Roojai which is legit for 850 baht...bye! ????

Seriously, these covid insurances have been discussed in other threads to death...do a search and have a look.

Keyword: legit. You did not get legit insurance. You got scammed because you, like most others, don’t know how to read policies and fine print. 

• Sad 1

I might understand the opening post not correctly.

But IF the rules in Thailand say you can't self isolate but have to quarantaine in a hospital, what's wrong?

If you do not have the funds to pay your medical treatment (or quarantaine), you're in the wrong place. Anyone should know Thailand is not a european welfare state.,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Another good reason never to take a Covid test

As many Thais I know of, Covid symptoms and stay home, pass it on to family members and all stay quiet... yes they get free treatment but they need to work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

Didn’t even get close as those cheap ass policies don’t cover you for asymptomatic hospital stays. They cover for medical treatment, and there is a stark difference. This subject has been beaten to death on social media outside of this dumpster fire of a forum and there are only 2 insurers who actually pay without drama and that’s AXA and Luma. Both are very much more expensive. 

Maybe you should read what is covered. That is what these quarantine hotels are. Others on this topic who have this insurance have stated it covers the quarantine too.

Like you i got an other insurance that is a lot more expensive but covers a lot.

It does not state it does not cover asymptomatic stays. All it says diagnosed covid did not exclude asymptomatic. Plus these hotels have doctors and nurses and are thus covered.  

What is the coverage of medical expenses COVID-19?

If the Insured gets diagnosed with Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) for the first time and needs to be admitted either as an in-patient or out-patient in a Hospital or Medical Facility to receive medical treatment needed with medical standards, the Company shall pay compensation based on the actual amount the Insured paid,not exceeding the sum insured as specified in the Schedule.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

You are charged a higher then normal rate for these hotels as they have nurses and dr on site. Because everyone has covid. Sorry mate maybe you should be a bit more open minded. You assume that he is being ripped off and charged inflated prices without any proof besides the fact that you have been overcharged. That is not proof at all.

https://asq.in.th/aslq-thailand-hotels/aura-samui-best-beach-hotel-samui-extra-plus-sandbox

below the hotel that he stayed in.. look at how nice and big and you still think it overcharged ? its inclusive food an all.

hotel.JPG

Good for you but again plenty of ASQs in Samui it is not an ASQ it is a Hospitel.

You don't have a choice there is one place they have an agreement with and that is where you go.

Edited by firestar

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What a stupid situation.

Being victimized like this is not exactly going to encourage foreigners to come forward and be tested, even if they believe they have Covid symptoms.

No expat should live in Thailand, if they don't have ample funds to pay hospital fees... 

You don't deserve any sympathy. 

Why should they change the rules to suit expats.. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe you should read what is covered. That is what these quarantine hotels are. Others on this topic who have this insurance have stated it covers the quarantine too.

Like you i got an other insurance that is a lot more expensive but covers a lot.

It does not state it does not cover asymptomatic stays. All it says diagnosed covid did not exclude asymptomatic. Plus these hotels have doctors and nurses and are thus covered.  

What is the coverage of medical expenses COVID-19?

If the Insured gets diagnosed with Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) for the first time and needs to be admitted either as an in-patient or out-patient in a Hospital or Medical Facility to receive medical treatment needed with medical standards, the Company shall pay compensation based on the actual amount the Insured paid,not exceeding the sum insured as specified in the Schedule.

“To receive medical treatment needed with medical standards”  

Maybe those 8 words together mean different things to you than they do to me and everyone else on planet earth. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The hospital does not make quarantine or deportation laws. Blaming them is farcical. 

They were wrong to keep the passport, however, they have seen untold instances of farangs running away from their bill. I know this because the head of foreigner service told me herself.

Every day they are faced with irate farangs, I've witnessed it. Irate because it's not run on the basis of private or NHS hospitals.  Many westerners visit, are admitted, and face the language barrier. That is not the hospitals fault. 

I've had many meetings with the lady in question, earlier this year. She could not have been more helpful, visiting an old man (not my family or next of kin) in his final days, calling me to update me. She didn't have to do that.

And, having established a good relationship, the lady herself was happy to wait for bills to be covered whilst his family transferred funds here to make payment. This sometimes took 3-4 days. 

Edited by delh
Oversight in information in original text.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

“To receive medical treatment needed with medical standards”  

Maybe those 8 words together mean different things to you than they do to me and everyone else on planet earth. 

Yea it does as this is the medical standard in Thailand and this is a Thai insurance. 

Personally i got an far more expensive insurance from an European country. Expat package. But I think they would have more problems with the mandatory stay then a Thai one. 

This is goverment law so covered. Anyway you been proven wrong you only don't want to accept what these insurances cover. Its pointless to discuss that as you can't prove I am wrong and I can't prove im right. Unless of course we write an email to the insurance company but im a bit too lazy for that. So i give up.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yea it does as this is the medical standard in Thailand and this is a Thai insurance. 

Personally i got an far more expensive insurance from an European country. Expat package. But I think they would have more problems with the mandatory stay then a Thai one. 

This is goverment law so covered. Anyway you been proven wrong you only don't want to accept what these insurances cover. Its pointless to discuss that as you can't prove I am wrong and I can't prove im right. Unless of course we write an email to the insurance company but im a bit too lazy for that. So i give up.

The odd thing is that there’s so many here that believe (just like you) that you can buy a years worth of insurance for $30 that’ll cover you to sit in a room with almost zero actual medical care and be covered - without even doubting or questioning the policy at all and don’t even know enough about it to actually confirm what you THINK it covers. 

So here you sit, raging at some random guy on hard times through no fault of his own, mocking the guy for not buying an insurance product that on its face doesn’t even cover for the things you say should be covered.  

No doubt in that mind of yours that you’re somehow smarter and more immune to hardship than the people you sneer at and blame for things they have no control over, taking the side of a dirtbag hospital and a corrupt government. 

But whatever, people like you, for whatever reason, are a dime a dozen in Thailand. Big opinions, small on everything else. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

What is the link to this insurance please?

Well worth it for piece of mind, I bought from here a few months ago when it was a little cheaper and better benefits but its still worth it now.

There's also this one

https://rabbit.finance/expats-covid-center/?_ef_transaction_id=undefined

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

The odd thing is that there’s so many here that believe (just like you) that you can buy a years worth of insurance for $30 that’ll cover you to sit in a room with almost zero actual medical care and be covered - without even doubting or questioning the policy at all and don’t even know enough about it to actually confirm what you THINK it covers. 

So here you sit, raging at some random guy on hard times through no fault of his own, mocking the guy for not buying an insurance product that on its face doesn’t even cover for the things you say should be covered.  

No doubt in that mind of yours that you’re somehow smarter and more immune to hardship than the people you sneer at and blame for things they have no control over, taking the side of a dirtbag hospital and a corrupt government. 

But whatever, people like you, for whatever reason, are a dime a dozen in Thailand. Big opinions, small on everything else. 

I am pretty sure I am a smarter then a lot of the posters on this forum. Done some IQ test confirming as much. But I certainly don't think I am smarter then everyone. I also don't think im immune to hardship as I am a business owner so there is always a risk. I just know that the moment I can't make it in Thailand I would move out. 

You say it does not cover it, i disagree with what your saying. I am saying that this is seen as a medical place. I am also saying that covid is covid and they don't differentiate between symptomatic and a symptomatic. 

The hospital is not a dirtbag hospital, he is not complaining about the price, not disputing he went to an expensive private hotel quarantine. He only thought it was all free. Can you tell me where he complains about overcharging ? He does not. He only complains that he has to pay. 

As for the government, i am certainly no supporter of the government. Legally the guy has a problem with the government not hospital. They follow the rules. I guess you have no legal background otherwise you would understand that.

• Like 2

Just another Brit that believes he was treated in a wrong way, just because he did not get out without paying. The hospital has done nothing wrong. Ok, holding his passport is against the law, but I understand why when this guy refuses to pay. They must protect their interest, and what is better than to hold his passport.

Apparently a lawyer already told this funny guy that everything was within the law. No threat, just telling him how they will proceed if he do not pay.

If this guy just don´t know what an insurance is for. Neither does he or his friends know that hospital care for foreigners in Thailand is not free.

Good for him that he learned it before he was thrown out. Bad for the rest of us to have such an unpleasant guy still here.

Also, he is telling that he lost his social benefits just because his company went sour because of the pandemic. That´s sad, but if he had been checking up the rules, he could have been continuing paying for the benefits as he was already in the system. Then he would still had his benefits left. If they had been smart enough to keep the business entity left in an inactive form.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1