Expat on Samui says he was threatened with deportation by hospital over Covid bill

webfact

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

How do you know the field hospitals are free for foreigners? Can you choose to stay in a field hospital?

I asked these questions before and never got a definitive answer.

Even if they are not free they will be a lot cheaper. I like you cannot say it with 100% certainty but why would it not be possible. Most foreigners would not want it but i doubt its not possible.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Many people took the Roojai or Dhipaya covid insurance, which covers asymptomatic cases and it costs only 800 baht for an year. The coverage is low for ICU treatment (100k max), but pretty adequate for hospitels.

So I am covered for 'Hospitels.' 

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Because it was supposed to be for free I think.

And anyway, he was being kept there against his will.

He could have stayed at a field hospital would be his argument I guess.

The lesson here I think is not to get tested at an expensive hospital.

I would say lesson is get covid insurance.  Lesson 2 check if you have to pay or not.

So the guy just did not want to pay because he felt he was cheated. So without the threats and without the withholding of passport he would not have paid.  So IMHO justified but not legal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I doubt whether insurance would cover a hotel stay in quarantine 

Isolation following a positive test, be it in a hospital, field hospital or hospitel is covered by Covid insurance. What they won't cover is isolation at home.

I specifically asked about this when I bought my own policy earlier this year, however I do not know whether a standard health policy would provide the same cover.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Living as a foreigner in Thailand you are on your own, if you cannot accept - or afford - that, you should not stay here.

It's sad, really sad, when people gets into financial troubles over business, and sad if they cannot afford the little less than 500 baht a month to continue the voluntary Social Security-fee, or afford an insurance, or have some savings for emergency matters, but that's how the rules are, and we know it advance before we come. We aliens are on our own, and we must face it or leave.

But it's correct that some foreigners might consider to keep low profile if they are Covid-positive, but asymptomatic or hardly sick, due to the fact that they are financially on their own to cover the expenses. Perhaps the government should have considered that situation - or parhaps they already have - to avoid situations like this, and the negative comments, which might result in others think twice about investing their savings in opening a business in Thailand; or just come to live here.

It was said that all covid treatment would be free for foreigners too.  He seems to the victim of a rule that mandated him to stay at that hospital- presumably where the test took place.  I'm sure a field hospital could have taken him.  The thing is you can protect yourself up to a point, but Thailand is full of absurdity.  But I agree in the main.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I think he was facing financial hardship following the collapse of his business. Field hospital was a perfectly acceptable option.  I imagine he found himself trapped at that hospital and under law he couldn't be moved anywhere else.

Yes his argument is primarily with the government and imo he was a bit weak to cave in to strong arm tactics, as he will now never see that money again.

Insurance is only an option if you can afford it.  It's the first thing that has to go when you're fighting to keep food on the table. Your life may be relatively sweet, but not so for others perhaps.

My life has not always been sweet, but those covid insurances were cheap like around 1000 baht. Plus now all of a sudden he does have the 50k. So there were reserves otherwise he could not have paid. Meaning he could have paid for insurance too. 

I think he was not weak and did the right thing. He could always start a case with the goverment and that did not invalidate the claim the hospital and hotel had on him. You know legally the hospital and hotel were right. They followed the rules. So sure he might never see this money again. Because he has to sue the goverment. But not paying the hospital is not an option as they were in their legal right.

I hope you understand that as legally he cannot bring a case to the hospital or hotel as they were following goverment rules his claim should be with the government. 

I just don't really believe the guys story of having no money, the moment it got serious he all of a sudden had the money. He could have loaned it from someone and also him going to a lawyer is also not something people without money do. I just think the guy is just <deleted> off that he had to pay and feigns that he had no money. That is how i interpret it. If otherwise then sorry but i still feel that he is not without blame and he would have to pay the hospital and hotel as the claim is with the government.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Perhaps the government should have considered that situation - or parhaps they already have - to avoid situations like this, and the negative comments, which might result in others think twice about investing their savings in opening a business in Thailand; or just come to live here.

It'll be old news tomorrow and forgotten in a week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It is actually against international law and in violation of several treaties, for a private entity or business to confiscate one's passport.....

Mighty fine negotiating point.

Tell that to the Saudis. My passport was taken whenever I arrived in the kingdom.

Where can one get covid insurance?  It does sound like the easiest solution. 

I must admit that until this morning I didn't realize that a hospital had the right to keep you like that for covid.

He played his hand badly.  I mean, I've heard of not being able to leave the country because you can't pay the bill, but not the other way round. Also, They'd have settled for a 1000 baht a month I'm sure, and it could have been negotiated down.

However, I am of the impression that many posters on this board are somewhat harsh in their judgement.  Money certainly isn't easy to come by at this moment in time and we do know his business has collapsed.  

Edited by mommysboy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Because it was supposed to be for free I think.

And anyway, he was being kept there against his will.

He could have stayed at a field hospital would be his argument I guess.

The lesson here I think is not to get tested at an expensive hospital.

Actually, I just cancelled a dental appointment at a private hospital because they want to do a covid test beforehand. I'll have a rethink.  I don't want to be faced with forced quarantine at 50k for the fortnight.  That's sheer extortion anyway.

From what I see in the article he was tested in the cheapest hospital (government) in Samui. I did a PCR test there 2 months ago and it was way cheaper than the private hospitals.

60k in hospitel looks a bit on the expensive side, then again the foreigners usually pay more.  The PCR tests for foreigners are 3.5k baht, for Thais are at least 1k less...2 thousand something.