Thailand seeks to slash quarantine period for visitors

snoop1130

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

No point in halving quarantine. They aint coming in numbers with a days quarantine , let alone 7 !

Something they still haven't the ability to comprehend.

The holidaymakers ain't comin' in droves if they're required to quarantine.....14 days, 10 days, 7 days, whatever. 

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Something they still haven't the ability to comprehend.

The holidaymakers ain't comin' in droves if they're required to quarantine.....14 days, 10 days, 7 days, whatever. 

I can stand a bit of quarantine , i can't stand a load of paperwork . They need to scrap the COE or keep it , in a much more simplified version .

• Thanks 1

This is interesting because as a fully vaccinated person(Pfizer 2 doses and 14 days since the last dose) and I land in BKK on October 1.  I have already booked and paid for the 15 day ASQ package.  My guess is I will have the pleasure of spending the "full ride" in the room with three "great meals" served cold in plastic boxes.  This time I am bringing some comfort foods like instant oatmeal and other non perishable items.  We shall see if  anything changes??? 555 and TIT.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

"Halving" obviously means something else in these parts.

But you have quoted only half of the OP. The complete statement, from the original post is:

"Under the proposal, to be presented to government on Monday, those without vaccination proof would be isolated for 10 days if arriving by air, and 14 days if by land."

In other words:

- 7 days quarantine for those fully vaccinated.

- 10 days for those not vaccinated, arriving by air.

- 14 days for those not vaccinated, arriving by land.

12 hours ago, alyx said:

Where is that implied ? On the contrary vaccination is mentioned...

All I can read is "Thailand's disease control committee has proposed a halving of a two-week hotel isolation requirement for vaccinated arrivals"

Read the full article, not just 'bites' from the original post.

10 hours ago, pookondee said:

Influenza, around 1918...

People were probably saying the same doom and gloom things..

"the end of the world as we know it"

The figures:

influenza: 1 in 150 dead.

USA now: 1 in 500 dead.

A significant difference, but im sure all the doomsayers were out in force then, just as they are now.

Im betting 3 years from now this whole mess will be forgotten.

Please research something about long term COVID19 especially on the young. Cardiomyopathy, liver impairment, renal impairment. respiratory complications

I am not a doomsayer, just that the world has changed dramatically in the past 2 years.  Working from accepted in many countries

Better hand hygiene

Spanish flu deaths estimate 50 million 

Covid so far estimate 4.5 million deaths cases estimate 219 million

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Vaccination significantly stops infection and transmission. 

It does reduce , not stop . I am 100% in favor of vaccination ( and vaccinated myself ) , but i also believe in not telling lies , in order to get people to get vaccinated themselves and get life back to normal also ( it will go together , no other way ) .

The vaccination does make the virus a lot less harmful for the person vaccinated , and the window of transmission is smaller . However , especially with Delta ( the main variant in the world now ) , there are many people who does have a significant window of transmission . This by itself means not a lot for the vaccinated person , but it does if going in areas with many non vaccinated ( aka Thailand ) .

So i can agree on tests and 1 week limited quarantine , since i believe Thailand is far from enough vaccinated to open safely .

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You cannot "significantly" stop, Stop is an absolute

You lower the the infection rate, totally different from "stop:

I wouldn't bother... I had a similar lexicon discussion over the word 'prevent'.... not worth the effort. 

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Read the full article, not just 'bites' from the original post.

You are a bit late and you should read the previous posts instead of singling out one post ….but you seem to have understood quite clearly the content of the OP whereas I haven’t, along with few others, been failed to make sense of it (…but that’s me…and a few others  ) 

6 hours ago, Carrbhoy said:

Is the proposal not being considered tomorrow? I assumed we would know the outcome tomorrow and as I’m in the U.K. and 6 hours behind, that would be Friday afternoon my hopes would be dashed!

I actually think the proposal will be approved. If so, it makes sense (I know it’s Thailand!) to follow the same approach as before so apply to existing ASQ reservations and instruct ASQ hotels to issue a refund.

That would be an unexpected result!! We’ll see.......

Pun intended as anything can happen before that day. But I think that the date you should look up is Monday the 27th when these “amendments” will be proposed/presented to the PM

28 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Spanish flu deaths estimate 50 million 

Covid so far estimate 4.5 million deaths cases estimate 219 million

Duration of Spanish Flu in years: Approximately 2 years. (1918-1920)

Number of Spanish Flu deaths: 50 million (using OP's number, no fact check)

World Population 1920: Approximately 1.9B. (UN Estimate)

Percentage of Global Pop Killed: ~2.6%.

---

Duration of Covid-19 Pandemic in years: Approximately 2 years (2020-2022)

Number of Covid-19 deaths: 4.55 million (number on Google as of today)

World Population 2021: Approximately 7.8B.

Percentage of Global Pop killed: ~0.06%

---

Math is math. ????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

---

---

Math is math. ????‍♂️

and your point is? 

The world has still changed, 

International travel will remain more expensive, countries restricting entry, more vaccinations required, there is a new "normal" ,

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

and your point is? 

International travel will remain more expensive, countries restricting entry, more vaccinations required, there is a new "normal" ,

Indeed!

Canada opened up a week ago.  2 vaccines, no quarantine.  The results have been negligible.  Nobody is travelling here.  The people that need to get here get here but for a holiday?  It is NOT happening.

To think that Thailand would be any different...

Chinese will not be coming either, wide open or not.  The hoops they have to go through when they get home are staggering.

9 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

---

---

Math is math. ????‍♂️

1918 medicine is not the same like 2020 medicine . World in 1918 is not at all the same like 2020 . In all forms or means , besides a virus which was a pandemic , there is no comparison .

Call it however you like , make it however you like , can even support any which group you like ... idc . Fact is , hospitals get full if unvaccinated come in contact with the virus and some or even none if you like to believe that die ... doesn't matter . Fact is , hospitals get full , regulations will get stronger . What does it take to get this regulations to go away : no people in hospital with covid . You can be anti vax , you can be a non believer , you can believe in aliens or whatever . Your political leader is not the leader of most countries , and in this case Thailand . This is about people who want to come Thailand . In order to come to Thailand , we got many hurdles now , it can be from 5G rays , it can be from the climate change , it can be from some kind of guru , or it can just be from fear , whatever . This is the case , this we are facing , and have to get along with it .

We cannot change the rules . What can we do , even if you not believe in it ? Vaccination cuts down the quarantine rate , that is 100% true right now , and looking at the world , vaccinated people get more and more easing of the rules while non vaccinated get a harder time in many countries . This are 100% facts . vaxxers and non vaxxers , believers and non believers , all should see this and agree on it , although some might not want it , and some want it stronger .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

and your point is? 

You're right. If I had any point at all, it was to show the degree to which we've overreacted (surgery on a paper cut).

However I don't expect a lot of things to go back to the way they were, although I do expect the travel situation and prices to eventually normalize. For better or worse post-Covid will be different than pre-Covid in a lot of ways, I agree.

I wonder if the man in the OP photo who is relaxing "on Karon beach as Phuket gets ready to open to overseas tourists from July 1 allowing fully vaccinated foreigns to visit the resort island without quarantine"  is still there waiting for July 1st 2022....

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

But you have quoted only half of the OP. The complete statement, from the original post is:

"Under the proposal, to be presented to government on Monday, those without vaccination proof would be isolated for 10 days if arriving by air, and 14 days if by land."

In other words:

- 7 days quarantine for those fully vaccinated.

- 10 days for those not vaccinated, arriving by air.

- 14 days for those not vaccinated, arriving by land.

Shows how useless the vaccines are and how little faith they have in them when you are still required to quarantine and take tests.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Metapod said:

Shows how useless the vaccines are and how little faith they have in them when you are still required to quarantine and take tests.

You should take a look at how deaths have significantly fallen in vaccinated Nations to see how very wrong you are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"Reducing the quarantine is not only about tourism, but will help business travel and foreign students," senior health official Opas Karnkawinpong told a news conference, adding tests would also be required.

Vaccinate your own population to +80%, then drop all quarantine, PCR testing, Sha hotels etc etc and open up fully to un-hindered un-restricted tourism.

18 minutes ago, Metapod said:

Vaccines are not useless. 

Already, hundreds of thousands of lives have been saved, due to the 5 billion vaccinations given.

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You should take a look at how deaths have significantly fallen in vaccinated Nations to see how very wrong you are.  

I think the vaccines are a disappointment in terms of helping get back to normal in the basket case countries that are worried about the numbers of positive tests rather than hospital capacity and deaths.   I have a sinking feeling that Thailand is going to be a country that ignores vaccine effectiveness in terms of severe illness mitigation, and focuses instead of numbers of positive tests to decide whether to open things or not.  They are still not removing (or even proposing the removal of) quarantine for double vaccinated, negative tested people who want to come here who pose no risk to either themselves or the population already here.