Thailand to scrap quarantine for vaccinated visitors from Nov 1

Jonathan Fairfield

Authorities will also reduce the quarantine time nationwide for visitors arriving from Oct. 1, the COVID-19 task force said, halving it to seven days for vaccinated arrivals, and cutting it to 10 days for those not inoculated.

So now they're letting people into the "sandbox" with no vaccinations at all.

Ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

The Reuters article linked above is the same article in the OP. The second article does not mention quarantine, only re-opening of Bangkok. 

As a matter of fact, "re-opening" of Bangkok has nothing to do with elimination of quarantine. 

So far, no confirmation of the Reuters article. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/27/thai-government-announces-more-relaxation-of-covid-19-domestic-measures-emergency-decree-extension-and-plans-to-welcome-vaccinated-tourists/

Adam Judd is normally not far off the mark.

I would think this is what 'reopening' looks like.

I wouldn't be going through this endurance test.

From the article above:

"Dr. Taweesilp also mentioned the reopening of pilot areas to international tourists under the “Sandbox” project that the project would be done gradually and Bangkok, Krabi, Phang Nga, Chonburi (Pattaya, Jomtien, Bang Saray) and Chiang Mai would be the areas to initially welcome vaccinated foreign tourists on November 1st. (Full list below) This plan was originally set to start from October 1st, however, has been pushed back to allow more time for further vaccinations in areas reopening to foreign vaccinated tourists.

Under the plan, vaccinated foreign tourists must stay in a zone for seven days, passing two Covid-19 tests via RT-PCR during this period. Once they pass this seven-day period they may travel throughout the country. Certain items, like COE (Certificate of Entry) from an embassy/consulate will stay for now but are likely to be reduced or eliminated when the Emergency Decree eventually is replaced by communicable disease laws. Tourists must stay at a SHA+ hotel, booked in advance, and not their own residence. They must take a Covid-19 test before flying to Thailand in addition to two tests here. They must also meet mandatory insurance requirements and keep a tracking application on their phones running at all times during their seven-day initial period."

In other words, there will be a Sandbox in Bangkok and Pattaya, including a 7 day quarantine, starting November 1.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

how many of them were expats returning to their families and how many were "real visitors/tourists"

What difference does it make?  37,368 people came to Phuket and spend 14 days there. Even if a big percentage of them are returning expats, many of those returning expats would not have come at this time anyway. I know we came back last May, because of the 7 day quarantine, otherwise we would not have come, we would have waited a few more months. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

From the article above:

"Dr. Taweesilp also mentioned the reopening of pilot areas to international tourists under the “Sandbox” project that the project would be done gradually and Bangkok, Krabi, Phang Nga, Chonburi (Pattaya, Jomtien, Bang Saray) and Chiang Mai would be the areas to initially welcome vaccinated foreign tourists on November 1st. (Full list below) This plan was originally set to start from October 1st, however, has been pushed back to allow more time for further vaccinations in areas reopening to foreign vaccinated tourists.

Under the plan, vaccinated foreign tourists must stay in a zone for seven days, passing two Covid-19 tests via RT-PCR during this period. Once they pass this seven-day period they may travel throughout the country. Certain items, like COE (Certificate of Entry) from an embassy/consulate will stay for now but are likely to be reduced or eliminated when the Emergency Decree eventually is replaced by communicable disease laws. Tourists must stay at a SHA+ hotel, booked in advance, and not their own residence. They must take a Covid-19 test before flying to Thailand in addition to two tests here. They must also meet mandatory insurance requirements and keep a tracking application on their phones running at all times during their seven-day initial period."

In other words, there will be a Sandbox in Bangkok and Pattaya, including a 7 day quarantine, starting November 1.

Looking at all that, which I realise is subject to certain to change, I'd say it's still a No for tourists, but a step forward for you guys who live in Thailand (?)

I still wonder what they'll do if people don't have a smart phone...or even a Thai phone at all. I'd suggest that most tourists don't.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Wrong. I came in on April 1 and my COE which was issued 2 weeks earlier said 14 day Q. After they reviewed my quarantine cert at the airport, the health officer gave me a new form that stated that my Q was changed to 7 days. Anyone who came in March 30th had to do the 14 days.

Nice.  There is also a communicable disease control officer in each subdistrict.  Perhaps he or she would agree to reduce the time for those in quarantine here who have already done 7 days but not yet 14?

7 minutes ago, jing jing said:

Nice.  There is also a communicable disease control officer in each subdistrict.  Perhaps he or she would agree to reduce the time for those in quarantine here who have already done 7 days but not yet 14?

The rules at that time stated that the health officer at the port of entry would decide the quarantine length. Hotels were also required to issue refunds. If they change the rules this time, I think the subdistrict health officers would love the opportunity to cash in on being able to reduce Q time.

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

With what you said at the end of your post it is no wonder that the Hoteliers association is now suing Prayut and his Government for 50 million Thb.  They want back money they lost due to the ineptitude of the government which cost many of them their livelihoods.  Lets hope they get their act together and stop the shenanigans.

Sorry should have said restaurant operators not Hoteliers.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Wrong. I came in on April 1 and my COE which was issued 2 weeks earlier said 14 day Q. After they reviewed my quarantine cert at the airport, the health officer gave me a new form that stated that my Q was changed to 7 days. Anyone who came in March 30th had to do the 14 days.

You are exceptional.

did you get a refund for the 7 days from your hotel?

Edited by Danderman123
  • Confused 1

So, assuming the OP is wrong, and assuming there will be a requirement to quarantine in Bangkok or Pattaya for 7 days in a SHA hotel, what does that mean? I gather that the tourist victim is only required to stay in their room until the results of their PCR test are available. If negative, can they walk around the hotel, wander outside, etc? Is there a bed check? 

8 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Not exceptional, just went through the process. This isn't the first time you posted something that was wrong. It's OK because normal people make mistakes all the time but some people have a hard time admitting to their mistakes.  

Yes, I received a refund.

I literally meant your experience was exceptional. If quarantines were routinely changed at the airport, the result would be fairly chaotic. Instead, you experienced a rare event.

people should not assume that the length of their quarantine can be renegotiated or otherwise changed at BKK, upon arrival.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I literally meant your experience was exceptional. If quarantines were routinely changed at the airport, the result would be fairly chaotic. Instead, you experienced a rare event.

In this case it wasn't exceptional; it was the way the changes where implemented as various reports attested to.

• Like 1