Subcutaneous v intramuscular vaccine

Terry2905

I do not post on here much, but this has got to be worth discussion.

The Thai MOPH have announced that they will now be giving the vaccine SQ rather than IM, claiming that it is more effective?

I am due for my 2nd astra jab later in October, and I am very concerned. 

I have not seen any supporting evidence that an SQ jab is more effective than IM.

It seems that it is only in Thailand that it works!

Or maybe a ploy to stretch out the limited supply, because it uses a lot less vaccine for SQ?

Anyone else thinking the same?

And what happens when I go for my 2nd dose?

Can I insist on a full dose IM rather than a 1/5 th SQ?

I did look up on the subject , and i found out that Pfizer is testing this , but no outcome is to be expected before August 2022.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04845191

TBH , i am pro-vax 100% and do have Pfizer vaccinations already a few months . However , the way this vaccination is given , and not alone on subcutaneous but also mixing vaccines , without study is crazy . I highly doubt this does create any danger , since the individual things are tested , but "hoping" for a better protection or using less vaccine to inject more people , i find this worrying .

The vaccines are tested on test groups and in double blind studies , and are supposed to be used that way . That is the tested way , with outcome which is expected . It does not mean study have to stop , and you can try to find better ways . However i do not find the way they do it right now satisfactory .... meaning , you do not know it works or if it works at all . That is why you do the double blind studies in the 1st place , and the results need to be checked by the different health organisations to see if the results are correct and work good enough . Using all these new techniques have not been tested , and while some studies might be underway does not mean at all it works ( or is safe ) .

I hope they work , and hope it does provide spectacular results , but right now , it is not a approved and tested way .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only in Phukett and only for a 3rd booster shot.

Along the same lines, I read Pfizer is testing a covid vaccine pill.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

No need to worry, it will not affect you. Its being carried out in Phuket only and only as a booster shot to those that have received 2 doses of Sinovac. Its the result of a small trial they had at a Phuket hospital and are now doing this against the advice from AZ and WHO

Well that does say it all , and is a lot of fuel on anti-vaxxers , and which anybody pro vax can't answer . Tests or even not tests , are not given like that . You do double blind tasts on X-amount of people and check the results on each of them . They are not given to non-aware persons , only people agreeing on being a test subject . They do get payed for it , and they might been given a placebo . Might it be better or not , well nobody knows so far .

WHO and the producing company aka in this case AZ disagree of using it like that . Even if it is 1 person , imho it is 1 person to much .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

you can refuse, ask for full sinovac.

you can get sinopharm for 777b or moderna for 1350b (people who are already vaxed will be selling their own payed already or you can get for yourself but will be coming the next year).

in hua hin they are already doing half dose of AZ, with same booster planned later

Edited by internationalism

more countries have adopted mix and match policy. At least for incoming travellers.

However, thai issued vax certificates are not honoured in the EU, even for pfizer, AZ made in korea, the UK, Japan or J&J given to french.

Looks, like they don't trust authenticity.

Consulates in bangkok don't want to confirm this certificate, as if they have suspicion they are very good forgeries