First batch of Moderna vaccine expected to arrive in Thailand in November

snoop1130

Don't forget that the amazingly optimistic amongst us started buying this about August

Entire family and I did this around that time even earlier perhaps. ????

My family is Thai / Chinese and they'd prefer to wait for Moderna. 

They don't want Sinovac. 

I am fine to wait my life is very much inside with indoor hobbies etc 

I get monthly food deliveries 

Only go to immigration for 5 minutes to do a 90 day report. that is all.

More worried about family as they have to get supplies for the shop but they are very cautious when doing this once / twice a week 

Also just got a block of land next to our house so keen to develop a small Permaculture garden but only me no one else.  This time an outdoor hobby but again only me. ????

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Chicken George said:

<deleted> hitting the fan as people asking for money back as worried they won't get their order till next year. Who can blame them? The government were slow to order on behalf of private hospitals then said money up front. Many who have ordered have not put their names down for free government jabs.. Can't see people getting their money back now.????

Private hospitals would have no problem finding new people to take the spots and pay for the vaccines.  I have been vaccinated by Pfizer, but I would be happy to take the Moderna vaccine as well early next year.

Whatever I did in registering and paying for Moderna back in June 2021 I (then) weighed against the cost of traveling back to the USA solely to get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines which I found prohibitive.

The cost for any eventual Moderna shots here in Thailand (or a refund) I still consider as well spent.

• Like 1

Update re. French Embassy in Thailand:

June, early July 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for 55-year old and over

July 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for 18-year old and over

September 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for partners

October 2021: Moderna vaccine for 12-17 year old, then French adults, then their partners

Free of charge

https://th.ambafrance.org/Modalites-de-la-campagne-de-vaccination-des-francais-de-12-a-17-ans-de-l

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watboy said:

MedPark is telling me mid November. I can wait, but am worried I can't get the 2nd shot 28 days after the first, and if delayed excessively it won't be a recognized vaccine. Of the 1.9mn first shipment, RedCross will take the first 1mn, so only 900k this year for pre paid.

One of the reasons I decided to go back to the USA for the holidays early in 4 weeks . Hospital in Loei told me Dec or first of the year. I will be fully vaccinated with American Moderna When I come back. Good luck

5 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

Update re. French Embassy in Thailand:

June, early July 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for 55-year old and over

July 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for 18-year old and over

September 2021: J&J Janssen vaccine for partners

October 2021: Moderna vaccine for 12-17 year old, then French adults, then their partners

Free of charge

https://th.ambafrance.org/Modalites-de-la-campagne-de-vaccination-des-francais-de-12-a-17-ans-de-l

Moderna in October is a pipe dream . Late 4th Q if your lucky

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly they could be having 2 shots of Pfizer or AZ free of charge. Many already double jabbed.

Not everywhere in Thailand ! Especially Pfizer not available, even if you would pay for it.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Sadly they could be having 2 shots of Pfizer or AZ free of charge. Many already double jabbed.

Problem is the gov't is giving you 1 shot of AZ and one shot of Pfizer at who knows what interval. Only certain groups will get two shots of Pfizer and not a cocktail. Anyone who has gotten 2 shots of Sinovac will only be given one AZ or Pz booster. None of those are widely recognized as being properly vaccinated. Anyone who needs a proper vaccine for travel, paid 2 shots of moderna in the proper interval is the only option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, club said:

Moderna in October is a pipe dream . Late 4th Q if your lucky

How wrong you are!!!

Moderna IS available in Thailand, but, not through the thai government and not for all the thais (read, carefully, my post)

PS: I just wonder what the US embassy in Thailand is doing for its citizens here... just asking

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

How wrong you are!!!

Moderna IS available in Thailand, but, not through the thai government and not for all the thais (read, carefully, my post)

PS: I just wonder what the US embassy in Thailand is doing for its citizens here... just asking

Really? What is the name of the private hospital its at? I will call them right now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, club said:

Really? What is the name of the private hospital its at? I will call them right now

Just give me the name of the hospital. I dont need the phone number. I can look that up. Here all day waiting for your reply

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, club said:

Are you French?

Is so, have a look @ the French Embassy web site (I already put the link). No need to contact, directly, the hospital

What complete idiot would trust the Thai Government and pre-pay for Moderna vaccines for their staff in Thailand?

Me. For I am that idiot.

Given my staff need to be vaccinated to re-open some businesses, kind of puts us in a bit of a pickle really.

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:45 PM, watboy said:

MedPark is telling me mid November. I can wait, but am worried I can't get the 2nd shot 28 days after the first, and if delayed excessively it won't be a recognized vaccine. Of the 1.9mn first shipment, RedCross will take the first 1mn, so only 900k this year for pre paid.

That is not an issue world wide.  They say that a longer wait between vaccines is a good thing.

Unless it's the chinese one.  Then your results may vary.  Wildly.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, ikke1959 said:

Maybe it is the governement ordered vaccine.. I still think that the private hospitals will get there vaccine this month. but the Government will do everything they can to push people to get the Sinovac and Astra first. That is their profit and Moderna not. I think that some people don't want to wait and choose for Sinovac jab, so tyhey have to delay their Moderna, because it will come "suddenly" and they can not get jabbed because they just got their Sinovac... It is the Government game  

If anyone remembers their was a letter from Moderns posted on here back in June stating any order submitted then would not be delivered until 2022 because of heavy backlog.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, watboy said:

Have you prepaid for the 2 Moderna shots?

It would be a major failing of the hospital not to perform the 2nd shot as per the manufacturer's specifications. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

At least several private hospitals I know of will allow people who paid for the Moderna shots to give them to someone else. 

Once they actually arrive, I imagine many people (esp. Thais who for the most part, can't get mRNA vaccines in Thailand) will be interested. If you no longer need them someone will likely buy them from you. Just ask around. Or, you can donate them to someone in need who doesn't have the resources to pay for it themselves.

And if they never come, too bad. Pre-paying was a hedge that for some, could make sense in times of great uncertainty. Paying and not getting sucks, but it probably won't ruin anyone financially in this case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilms said:

At least several private hospitals I know of will allow people who paid for the Moderna shots to give them to someone else. 

Once they actually arrive, I imagine many people (esp. Thais who for the most part, can't get mRNA vaccines in Thailand) will be interested. If you no longer need them someone will likely buy them from you. Just ask around. Or, you can donate them to someone in need who doesn't have the resources to pay for it themselves.

And if they never come, too bad. Pre-paying was a hedge that for some, could make sense in times of great uncertainty. Paying and not getting sucks, but it probably won't ruin anyone financially in this case.

That's exactly what the hospital told me. I am sure you can find someone to buy 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, TimBKK said:

Given the widening availability of vaccines in Thailand, when Moderna actually arrives becomes less and less important IMO.  I suspect many will simply use it as a booster in 6 months - that is my plan, confirmed by Samitivej through whom I placed the Moderna order.

Were you originally confirmed for the 4th quarter batch of Moderna at Samitivej? If yes, can you tell me how you confirmed that they would hold your Moderna booster for 6 months? This contradicts the SMS I received from Samitivej last week that lists an October 8 deadline for me to either complete my personal COVID-19 vaccine history (to assist in their management of the Q4 doses) or transfer my doses to others. Nowhere in the documentation, or in my communication with Samitivej through online channels asking about this, have they indicated that my Q4 dose can be "managed" to become a booster next year.

13 minutes ago, macnmotion said:

Were you originally confirmed for the 4th quarter batch of Moderna at Samitivej? If yes, can you tell me how you confirmed that they would hold your Moderna booster for 6 months? This contradicts the SMS I received from Samitivej last week that lists an October 8 deadline for me to either complete my personal COVID-19 vaccine history (to assist in their management of the Q4 doses) or transfer my doses to others. Nowhere in the documentation, or in my communication with Samitivej through online channels asking about this, have they indicated that my Q4 dose can be "managed" to become a booster next year.

I don’t see the contradiction and took the 8 October deadline to be an internal metric unrelated to when the jabs will be administered.  In any event, in the same chart that I am sure you saw Moderna will be available 6-9 months after (in my case) the second Pfizer jab.  

Edited by TimBKK
grammar

1 minute ago, TimBKK said:

I don’t see the contradiction and took the 8 October deadline to be an internal metric unrelated to when the jabs will be administered.  In any event, in the same chart that I am sure you saw Moderna will be available 6-9 after (in my case) the second Pfizer jab.  

The chart you're referring to does not indicate when they will give you your vaccine, they are using that chart to show the public when they should seek a vaccine based on their vaccine history. The October 8 deadline is specifically so they can use that information to prioritize their 4th quarter doses, it was not intended to allow people to shift from the Q4 block of vaccines to a future block of vaccines. I work with the Marketing Team at Samiitivej and I'm fairly certain of this understanding, at least at this point in time. Now that there has been an announced delay, I'm trying to find out whether the October 8 date will be delayed, I'm awaiting a reply.

Note that last week I contacted the Samitivej online communications team asking whether I could retain my paid vaccine for use next year as a booster (I recently had my 2nd dose of Pfizer). They initially said "you can keep it for booster in the future sir" however, after I asked how this would work, for example will I be put at the top of a list of the next batch of Moderna coming in Q2 2022, or will I be behind everyone who has paid for Q2 vaccines already and rightfully expect to receive them, they could not answer. They merely said put in your vaccine history now and after you receive your Q4 appointment you can inform us for further discussion. As you can imagine, that isn't a policy, it's an answer to a question they probably hadn't considered. It's possible that the hospital will work to delay the paid vaccines until they can be used by the purchaser, but as of now there is no official policy guaranteeing it. And according to their official policy, once we put our own information into their system, we cannot later transfer the doses to a third party -- the decision to transfer has to be made by October 8 and before we put our own details into the system.

Anyway, I'm sure this is more detail than most people care about. Thought someone might be interested.