The Infectious Nature of Misinformaton

Chomper Higgot

49 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

the methodology is more important than the data to be honest, a lot of data is trash and can be disregarded. The first thing you learn is to understand how the data was sourced, why we are using such and such, what is relevant or noises etc...

and after that it's all about methodologies how to treat the data and compute the aggregates, so statisticians understand it's all about the process, and the containers, not the contents (raw data).

So it’s the methodology that has left you with no data.

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, LarrySR said:

We all have lost friends and family members to Rupert Murdochs propaganda machine.

The consumers of his media products dwell in an alternative reality of fake news and conspiracy theories. Drip feeding the viewers a steady dose of hate, fear, outrage and disinformation to support a corporate political agenda.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-rachel-maddow-flamed-tweet-false-claims-overrun-oklahoma-hospitals

“Rupert Murdoch’s propaganda machine” - that sweeping statement suggests you need to adjust for some acute omission bias, pronto. Fox News, like most other mainstream news outlets can often be crucial when nearly every other major broadcaster shamefully chooses to remain silent.

This outright hoax of a story (not an exaggerated use of the word) spread far and wide, well beyond US news media. And even when Rolling Stone retracted it, the complicit conventional said nothing and continued to let the misinformation spread on social media.

How many on this thread fell for it? Raise your hands please! And how many more gleefully took part in disseminating it? - even after it became clear it was made up?

Misinformation Cuts Both Ways.

• Confused 1

To the mods:

In case any other posters after me links to dated articles that have not been retracted, please can you inform other posters after removal with the following links. After all, there are much less underhanded ways to argue against ivermectin besides simply making sh*t up. Thank you.

https://cms.thepostmillennial.com/rachel-maddow-refuses-to-delete-tweet-spreading-rolling-stone-ivermectin-hoax/

An article by a local Oklahoma news outlet that went viral, was picked up by Rolling Stone, the BBC, The Guardian, and others, and turned out to be false, has still not been retracted by one of the biggest influencers who shared it, Rachel Maddow.

https://thepostmillennial.com/rolling-stone-humiliated-after-story-about-hospital-overwhelmed-by-patients-overdosing-on-ivermectin-falls-apart

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/gunshot-victims-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-oklahoma-hospitals-covid-1220608/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

To the mods:

In case any other posters after me links to dated articles that have not been retracted, please can you inform other posters after removal with the following links. After all, there are much less underhanded ways to argue against ivermectin besides simply making sh*t up. Thank you.

https://cms.thepostmillennial.com/rachel-maddow-refuses-to-delete-tweet-spreading-rolling-stone-ivermectin-hoax/

An article by a local Oklahoma news outlet that went viral, was picked up by Rolling Stone, the BBC, The Guardian, and others, and turned out to be false, has still not been retracted by one of the biggest influencers who shared it, Rachel Maddow.

https://thepostmillennial.com/rolling-stone-humiliated-after-story-about-hospital-overwhelmed-by-patients-overdosing-on-ivermectin-falls-apart

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/gunshot-victims-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-oklahoma-hospitals-covid-1220608/

"What we can confirm is that we have seen a handful of ivermectin patients in our emergency rooms, to include INTEGRIS Grove Hospital. And while our hospitals are not filled with people who have taken ivermectin, such patients are adding to the congestion already cause by Covid-19 and other emergencies," it added.

https://factcheck.afp.com/http%3A%2F%2Fdoc.afp.com%2F9MD9HX-1

4 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

the methodology is more important than the data to be honest, a lot of data is trash and can be disregarded. The first thing you learn is to understand how the data was sourced, why we are using such and such, what is relevant or noises etc...

and after that it's all about methodologies how to treat the data and compute the aggregates, so statisticians understand it's all about the process, and the containers, not the contents (raw data).

Without data to confirm its soundness, methodology is not meaningfully different from a religious ritual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-rachel-maddow-flamed-tweet-false-claims-overrun-oklahoma-hospitals

“Rupert Murdoch’s propaganda machine” - that sweeping statement suggests you need to adjust for some acute omission bias, pronto. Fox News, like most other mainstream news outlets can often be crucial when nearly every other major broadcaster shamefully chooses to remain silent.

This outright hoax of a story (not an exaggerated use of the word) spread far and wide, well beyond US news media. And even when Rolling Stone retracted it, the complicit conventional said nothing and continued to let the misinformation spread on social media.

How many on this thread fell for it? Raise your hands please! And how many more gleefully took part in disseminating it? - even after it became clear it was made up?

Misinformation Cuts Both Ways.

You got evidence that anyone on this thread fell for it or disseminated it? Maybe you believe that Rachel Maddow is a member of thaivisa.com? Overreaching much?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Without data to confirm its soundness, methodology is not meaningfully different from a religious ritual.

you need both, data without methodologies is garbage, and methodology without data is meaningless

I hope that answers your question,

17 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

you need both, data without methodologies is garbage, and methodology without data is meaningless

I hope that answers your question,

And yet this was your conclusion in the comment I addressed: "so statisticians understand it's all about the process, and the containers, not the contents (raw data)."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Tell us about the vaccines that had short term success (greater than one year, billions of doses administered) and then had long term consequences

Many millions of children have been vaccinated against polio, whooping cough, tuberculosis, etc..

As adults they are not dropping like flies?

Maybe it is only people born in countries with a high population density that are concerned about those diseases and vaccinate their children. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1

the irrational “statistician”goes from contemptuously and falsely accusing sensible folk here of “predicting the future “….then does precisely that himself …with 99% accuracy….. ten years ahead !! 

anti- vaxxers may have the right to chose, and I defend that right, but when chosing wrongly (not to vax), like any life bad decision, severe leper -like consequences, from the governing vaxxed majority, are soon coming… and rightly so…… taken to ICU to witness covid deaths……. unvaxxed “camps”maybe…no job outside sealed home……no leaving their residential  property…..no visitors ….no staying family……wearing hazmat gear outside their doors ( garden / roof/ grounds) ……complete physical isolation from all other people / society….. no vaxxed friends……no good reputation….

but hey, your choice….. what price their deluded “principles” then I wonder……..these clowns will be getting vaxxed in droves….” late vaxxer” shaming still awaits…..extreme but so would be the likely vaccine denial if THEY were in charge……

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm in Portugal. When the president was asked why they have such a high vaccination rate, his reply. We didn't make it political.

Right wing politicians spreading ant-vaccine, anti-mask, anti-public health measures with the predictable result that their right wing followers (voters) will be disproportionately killed by the virus takes some figuring.

Considering politics when faced with a medical choice is even more baffling.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Fox are lying as usual.

An Oklahoma doctor has said overdoses of the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin, which many believe without evidence can prevent or cure Covid-19, are helping cause delays and problems for rural hospitals and ambulance services struggling to cope with the resurgent pandemic.

He said the rise in cases of ivermectin misuse came as Oklahoma’s rural hospitals were already struggling to cope with a surge in Covid patients. “The [emergency rooms] are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated,” he told KFOR.

McElyea told the Tulsa World a colleague was forced to send one severely ill Covid patient to a hospital in South Dakota, three states away to the north. “They had sat in a small hospital needing to be in an [intensive care unit] for several days, and that was the closest ICU that was available,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/04/oklahoma-doctor-ivermectin-covid-coronavirus

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

"What we can confirm is that we have seen a handful of ivermectin patients in our emergency rooms, to include INTEGRIS Grove Hospital. And while our hospitals are not filled with people who have taken ivermectin, such patients are adding to the congestion already cause by Covid-19 and other emergencies," it added.

https://factcheck.afp.com/http%3A%2F%2Fdoc.afp.com%2F9MD9HX-1

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

You got evidence that anyone on this thread fell for it or disseminated it? Maybe you believe that Rachel Maddow is a member of thaivisa.com? Overreaching much?

@placeholder@Dan O

I don't mean to make you look absurd, but it's just been pointed out to me that literally a couple of posts above yours another poster on here "fell for it" and then "disseminated it". Not just "on Thaivisa.com" but on this very thread above your post.

So thank you both so much (and the other poster) for making my point so wonderfully. When it comes to "misinformation" so many people give each other a pass here because they think its some kind of team sport. And as long as they are piling on the "anit-vaxxers" then their own side's silliness is just fine.

As for the attempt at implying Rachel Maddow isn't followed by any partisans on here...using that logic, apparently Fox's Will Cain and Tucker Carlson are members on here!

*Thank you for the confused smiley WhiteBuffaloATM; now edited with the quotations.

Edited by Atlantis
Missing quotes of offending post
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

@placeholder@Dan O

I don't mean to make you look absurd, but it's just been pointed out to me that literally a couple of posts above yours another poster on here "fell for it" and then "disseminated it". Not just "on Thaivisa.com" but on this very thread above your post.

So thank you both so much (and the other poster) for making my point so wonderfully. When it comes to "misinformation" so many people give each other a pass here because they think its some kind of team sport. And as long as they are piling on the "anit-vaxxers" then their own side's silliness is just fine.

As for the attempt at implying Rachel Maddow isn't followed by any partisans on here...using that logic, apparently Fox's Will Cain and Tucker Carlson are members on here!

*Thank you for the confused smiley WhiteBuffaloATM; now edited with the quotations.

One of the worst things that's happened to America. Faux News. A horrible media outlet.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

@placeholder@Dan O

.Literally a couple of posts above mine there's this:

image.png.3f3769b2e0571318a733e4f9ff800647.png

That post, does not back Rachel Maddow's reporting on the Ivermectin claim. Quite the contrary. Maybe you just don't understand what "literally" means? Also, unlike you, I won't claim that your mistake makes you look "absurd" because absurd means this:

"wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate."

Just because you made a mistake here doesn't mean your post was absurd. For future reference false /= absurd.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

One of the worst things that's happened to America. Faux News. A horrible media outlet.

Do excuse me for not replying earlier to your comments. I'd put you on Ignore a while back, can't remember exactly why now.

I can see why many of a certain political persuasion would describe them as that. They're pretty aggressive themselves. But may I just point out that if I am correct about your political biases, then watching Fox News to supplement whatever else it is you watch is even more useful than if you were, say, a Trump loyalist.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but people bash "Fox News", they typically mean the guys the Opinion / Commentary, especially anchors like Hannity / Tucker. The actual News section isn't that bad at all. And like I said earlier, its becoming increasingly crucial as many of the other networks deliberate fail to report inconvenient stories and even push actual misinformation - when they really Should.Know.Better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Do excuse me for not replying earlier to your comments. I'd put you on Ignore a while back, can't remember exactly why now.

I can see why many of a certain political persuasion would describe them as that. They're pretty aggressive themselves. But may I just point out that if I am correct about your political biases, then watching Fox News to supplement whatever else it is you watch is even more useful than if you were, say, a Trump loyalist.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but people bash "Fox News", they typically mean the guys the Opinion / Commentary, especially anchors like Hannity / Tucker. The actual News section isn't that bad at all. And like I said earlier, its becoming increasingly crucial as many of the other networks deliberate fail to report inconvenient stories and even push actual misinformation - when they really Should.Know.Better.

And what is the name of the network that Carlson and Hannity are featured on? Is it called Fox News & Opinions? As far as I'm aware, the network is called simply "Fox News". If you have a problem with this maybe you should take it up with Rupert Murdoch.