The Infectious Nature of Misinformaton

Chomper Higgot

19 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

thanks Jeffr. I will examine this further. TC colleague Hannity is certainly a clown, a religious nutjob like most of them. remember his classic interview with Chris Hitchens who tore him to shreds. Hannity was saying we should all be “sorry” about the death of “Reverend” Jerry Falwell, a “religious “ shuster of the highest order. Hitch famously said that Falwell was so full of s..t that “if given an enema he could be buried in a matchbox”.

I avoid most talking bubble heads on MSM! LOL

thanks Jeffr. I will examine this further. Provisional Finding: Reclassify Fox/ TC under “Entertainment”.

Now that only leaves the Daily Mail for my News…….oh, wait a minute…..no, thats Entertainment too…..

TC colleague Hannity is certainly a clown, a religious nutjob like most of them. remember his classic interview with Chris Hitchens who tore him to shreds. Hannity was saying we should all be “sorry” about the death of “Reverend” Jerry Falwell, a “religious “ shuster of the highest order. Hitch famously said that Falwell was so full of s..t that “if given an enema he could be buried in a matchbox”.

Hitch refused to be sorry as Falwell was an utter charletan and because his family would inherit his lucrative fraudulent “business”. Hannity almost had a heart attack……now THATS Entertainment.

• Haha 2

Not True: "Fox news are lying as usual."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-rachel-maddow-flamed-tweet-false-claims-overrun-oklahoma-hospitals

https://factcheck.afp.com/http%3A%2F%2Fdoc.afp.com%2F9MD9HX-1

spacer.png

The article has since been updated, but its original headline has spread as a screenshot on Instagram and Facebook.

Rolling Stone was not the only outlet to run a story based on remarks made by an Oklahoma family doctor, Jason McElyea, to local television station KFOR.

"The ERs are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated," McElyea -- who could not be reached for comment by AFP -- told the channel.

However, Oklahoma hospitals at which McElyea has worked are pushing back against the claim that they are overwhelmed, which spread online during a spike in health problems caused by people ingesting veterinary ivermectin in the mistaken belief that it will protect them against Covid-19 or treat the deadly disease.

Northeastern Health System Sequoyah wrote in a September 4 Facebook post that McElyea has not worked at its Sallisaw, Oklahoma location in two months.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

[Sigh] If you insist on dragging this out, give me a moment please while I gather the links, references, and even screenshots for you when I figure out how to.
Just to remind you: there were two quotes. One from the Guardian, one from AFP.

*And if you must, let's pretend I used the word false! I cannot go back to edit my post again. Yes I do understand what the word "literally" mean. Like I said, literally a couple of posts above yours. There, I said it again. Now, one moment please.

Definition of "moment" from Oxford Languages:

"a very brief period of time"

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+moment&oq=defin&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i65j69i60j69i61.1644j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

[sigh]

Edited by placeholder

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/04/oklahoma-doctor-ivermectin-covid-coronavirus

Scroll down to the bottom:

NHS Sequoyah had not treated any patients due to complications related to taking ivermectin, including overdose, the statement said.

This article was amended on 13 September 2021. An earlier headline – “Oklahoma hospitals deluged by ivermectin overdoses, doctor says” – was changed; in a statement to the Healthier Oklahoma Coalition on 31 August 2021, which was brought to our attention after publication, Jason McElyea considered that ivermectin misuse was contributing to the current pressures on hospitals due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but was not the primary cause of it. Some of this account has been incorporated into the text, and further quotes reported by other media organisations have been placed in this context. On 5 September 2021 a statement was added from NHS Sequoyah addressing Dr McElyea’s comments that was released after publication.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

You what now? I was literally just trying to clarify whether he meant the entire network or better known personalities.
( Moderators, please message me if this underlined word counts as flaming according to the forum rules and I'll remove )

And why are you so myopically focused on Fox News. Are you trying to make my point about rampant biasedness and blinkeredness for me?

CNN means Cable News Network - and they're filled with non-stop commentary / opinion.
ABC News also has opinion and commentary.

That's simply the nature of the news media in the US. Okay?

While MSBNC and CNN are left biased they don't have the same reputation for flat out lying, distortions and omissions designed to mislead that characterizes Fox. Fox are egregious liers.

wiki:

Fox News has been described by academics, media figures, political figures, and watchdog groups as being biased in favor of the Republican Party in its news coverage, as perpetuating conservative bias, and as misleading their audience in relation to science, notably climate change.

36 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

2. The Guardian article, as already cited in my original links, got caught up in fake news. They changed their story on September 13th.

The Guardian did change their story but the doctor did not retract his comment. I see that the hospital did push back against his assertion that the ICU was overwhelmed but his statement that the ivermectin cases contributed to ICU pressure can't be disputed. The fact remains that there have been ivermectin cases admitted to ICU and that ICUs have been under pressure generally. Obviously, Maddow did jump on the story and unreasonably amplified the doctor's claim, I don't see any egregious lying going on here, just maybe some exaggeration. The fact remains that ivermectin is dangerous and has contributed to ICU pressure.

Fox would never have changed their story. They never acknowledge error.

11 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Why do you insist on pretending that I have not provided the full context to you multiple times. There are extremely relevant posts directly above. This is a  thread. One post follows another.

How can you seriously ignore the initial misinformed claim that "Fox are lying", with the subsequent post the Guardian article and then the misleading quote from a third quote (which backs up Maddow's subsequent claim that she's still kinda right.)

You seriously call this "unprovable aspersion."? Well Then Let It Be Known to Everyone that October 6th 2021 01:30 Thai local time, the respected TVF poster placeholder has made is abundantly clear his standards for what constitutes intentional misinformation.

Fox went all in to claim Maddow was "lying" but the doctor has not retracted his comments and is not employed by the hospital which pushed back on his comments. The Fox motive was to discredit any notion that ivermectin is dangerous or has contributed to ICU pressure. Both are true. It was also a fact that a patient had to be diverted to another hospital far away.

I think it is also fair to say that Fox generally have gone all in to discredit vaccinations and play down the coronavirus epidemic for political reasons. That is what I meant by lying "as usual". They may have been justified in pushing back against overreach by Maddow but they are the worst offenders in the wider picture. By far.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

While MSBNC and CNN are left biased they don't have the same reputation for flat out lying, distortions and omissions designed to mislead that characterizes Fox. Fox are egregious liers.

wiki:

I don't have access to CNN or Fox cuz I don't have cable, but Fox made news a while back when covering US southern border issues when they had a graphic "Trump Cuts Aid to Three Mexican Countries".

Ignorant beyond belief.

• Like 2

Fox Ministry of Misinformation:

Day after day, Fox peddles noxious misinformation about vaccines to their older-than-average audience, leaving them open to a deadly virus. Infection rates and deaths are far higher among the Fox audience than those citizens that get their information from legitimate journalistic sources.

Fox's relentless promotion of unfounded fears, conspiracy theories and flat-out lies regarding the vaccines has already helped convince huge swaths of red-state America to reject this basic, crucial safeguard.

Brian Kilmeade, demonstrating the upside-down reality in which these folks live: “The focus of this administration on vaccination is mind-boggling.”

Tucker Carlson, “Maybe vaccination doesn’t work and they’re simply not telling you that.”  “Maybe none of this is about COVID. Maybe it’s about social control.”

Laura Ingraham, Vaccines are an “experimental drug on Americans against their will — threatening them, threatening to deprive them of basic liberties, if they don’t comply.”

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Fox Ministry of Misinformation:

Day after day, Fox peddles noxious misinformation about vaccines to their older-than-average audience, leaving them open to a deadly virus. Infection rates and deaths are far higher among the Fox audience than those citizens that get their information from legitimate journalistic sources.

Fox's relentless promotion of unfounded fears, conspiracy theories and flat-out lies regarding the vaccines has already helped convince huge swaths of red-state America to reject this basic, crucial safeguard.

Brian Kilmeade, demonstrating the upside-down reality in which these folks live: “The focus of this administration on vaccination is mind-boggling.”

Tucker Carlson, “Maybe vaccination doesn’t work and they’re simply not telling you that.”  “Maybe none of this is about COVID. Maybe it’s about social control.”

Laura Ingraham, Vaccines are an “experimental drug on Americans against their will — threatening them, threatening to deprive them of basic liberties, if they don’t comply.”

Do you know who that guy on the left is?

EDIT: I figured out who he was thanks to google images which had an image of him sitting with Steve Doocey whom I recognized. It's Brian Kilmeade, part of the shrunken news reporting time slots allocated on Fox News. Apparently, he is some people's idea of an honest and impartial journalist. What makes it worse is that this clip wasn't even targeting him. He just randomly happened to be included. God knows how much misinformation he has foisted on his viewers.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

on Fox I must (reluctantly) agree with my usual foes here,  Atlantis and GP…..

Fox, (& GB News) , in my opinion, are the “ least worse” MSM and do cover subjects of major public interest ., which dont fit the woke / lefty narrative, so ignored by CNN / BBC / MSBC etc,. ( left wing Dem. supporters).

Huge examples: 

black -on -black statistical crime analysis, and all black conservative opinion, prove / demonstrate conclusively that the evil black worshipped “gangster / rapper / drug” sub - cultures are entirely responsible for 99% black crime, and so can be fixed only by blacks, not more White Welfare.

Corrupt black politicians and race- baiters like Sharpton / Waters are never exposed by the CNN crowd.

Police Brutality is Real but the stats. show no discrimination towards Blacks.

etc, etc.

Recommend that the (black) conservative commentators are listened to…MSM is now Entertainment.

Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder KNOW their stuff. Candace Owen is fine for me but too strong for some.

Sam Harris is great. Shapiro & Peterson excellent in their specialty fields ….. but embarass themselves when introducing their religious beliefs as fact…….

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

on Fox I must (reluctantly) agree with my usual foes here,  Atlantis and GP…..

Fox, (& GB News) , in my opinion, are the “ least worse” MSM and do cover subjects of major public interest ., which dont fit the woke / lefty narrative, so ignored by CNN / BBC / MSBC etc,. ( left wing Dem. supporters).

Huge examples: 

black -on -black statistical crime analysis, and all black conservative opinion, prove / demonstrate conclusively that the evil black worshipped “gangster / rapper / drug” sub - cultures are entirely responsible for 99% black crime, and so can be fixed only by blacks, not more White Welfare.

Corrupt black politicians and race- baiters like Sharpton / Waters are never exposed by the CNN crowd.

Police Brutality is Real but the stats. show no discrimination towards Blacks.

etc, etc.

Recommend that the (black) conservative commentators are listened to…MSM is now Entertainment.

Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder KNOW their stuff. Candace Owen is fine for me but too strong for some.

Sam Harris is great. Shapiro & Peterson excellent in their specialty fields ….. but embarass themselves when introducing their religious beliefs as fact…….

Fox News is the worst of the worst. They spead more misinformation than any other MSM outlet. They're pretty much all opinions now.

• Like 2

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news-bias/

Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• We rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Fox News is the worst of the worst. They spead more misinformation than any other MSM outlet. They're pretty much all opinions now.

Spot on with that comment, and I did post on here previously about a court case which was taken out against Fox News and something which Tucker Carlson had said about Covid/vaccinations that the accuser said was not true, therefore they were spreading misinformation.

The case fought by Fox News was won on the following argument: – "Fox News argued that they were a channel upon which their presenters voiced their own opinions and were not to be relied upon as fact", or some such like.

So by their own admission, they are not a true news channel, but merely a mouthpiece for opinions by their own presenters – – and we know which way they lean!

• Like 2

Bickering posts and replies removed also a post not respecting the rule about fair use:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Spot on with that comment, and I did post on here previously about a court case which was taken out against Fox News and something which Tucker Carlson had said about Covid/vaccinations that the accuser said was not true, therefore they were spreading misinformation.

The case fought by Fox News was won on the following argument: – "Fox News argued that they were a channel upon which their presenters voiced their own opinions and were not to be relied upon as fact", or some such like.

So by their own admission, they are not a true news channel, but merely a mouthpiece for opinions by their own presenters – – and we know which way they lean!

The right way.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It says a lot about those who think he is telling the truth.

Most who like him are white guys, not well educated, or old. And like his racist rhetoric. Like this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-carlson-pushes-racist-great-replacement-theory-yet-again-adl-renews-call-for-fox-to-fire-him

The Anti-Defamation League is reiterating its calls for Fox News to fire Tucker Carlson after the network’s primetime star went all-in on espousing the racist “Great Replacement” theory this week.

The last time Carlson embraced the conspiracy theory, his boss Lachlan Murdoch dismissed the outrage, claiming the Fox star was merely talking about voting rights. But now, the ADL said, Carlson is “openly embracing white nationalist talking points.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Most who like him are white guys, not well educated, or old. And like his racist rhetoric. Like this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-carlson-pushes-racist-great-replacement-theory-yet-again-adl-renews-call-for-fox-to-fire-him

The Anti-Defamation League is reiterating its calls for Fox News to fire Tucker Carlson after the network’s primetime star went all-in on espousing the racist “Great Replacement” theory this week.

The last time Carlson embraced the conspiracy theory, his boss Lachlan Murdoch dismissed the outrage, claiming the Fox star was merely talking about voting rights. But now, the ADL said, Carlson is “openly embracing white nationalist talking points.”

Cannot believe that this a/hole is allowed to get away with this and the retort says it all............

“It cannot be overstated enough,” Greenblatt said in a statement to The Daily Beast. “For Tucker Carlson, host of one of the most-watched news programs in the country, to use his platform as a megaphone to spread the toxic, antisemitic, and xenophobic ‘great replacement theory’ is a repugnant and dangerous abuse of his platform.”

• Like 2

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

Whilst the thread is mainly concentrating (quite rightly) on the exceedingly toxic 'Fox News'..may I put in a plug for it's Antipodean Murdoch stablemate 'Sky News' that plays the same role in Australia along with it's talkback radio affiliates?Australia is very badly served by its loopy right wing media.