The Infectious Nature of Misinformaton

Chomper Higgot

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Trust in media outlets dropped by almost 50% after Trump's relentless lies about them. Mostly among his base.

I don't think you can blame everything on the orange man. Was just looking at some viewership figures

for all the cable news channels. All of them struggle to notch up even a million vowers a week.

I would say it's the media's fault as they've been caught lying and making up stories. It's the cry wolf story being played out...just about no thinking person believes them after all the lies they have told.

3 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I don't think you can blame everything on the orange man. Was just looking at some viewership figures

for all the cable news channels. All of them struggle to notch up even a million vowers a week.

I would say it's the media's fault as they've been caught lying and making up stories. It's the cry wolf story being played out...just about no thinking person believes them after all the lies they have told.

Fox has spectacular ratings while the CNN, ABC, NBC, ETC  otherwise known as mainstream media have lower ratings.

A significant percentage of Republicans will only watch Fox or their right wing copycats like OAN, NewsMax, hence the high ratings.

Democrats on average view a dozen or more different news sources, otherwise known as fact checking, hence the low ratings for said networks.

• Like 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Here we have a false equivalence.

An error made during conducting good faith research is not the same thing as deliberately creating and then disseminating misinformation.

Note too the response to criticism of the research, withdrawal and investigation.

Not doubling down or ignoring.

as noted previously, when a "credible" source on the green list does it, it's false equiwhatever.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

as noted previously, when a "credible" source on the green list does it, it's false equiwhatever.

Does what?

The false equivalence you brought up is not defined by who did what but by the fact one made a mistake and corrected the mistake while the second consistently purveys misleading information.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The floor is yours.

Hive us some examples of CNN spreading misinformation on COVID, vaccines or the public health measures to combat COVID.

Or admit you’ve got nothing.

That was asked before. Crickets.

• Sad 1

CNN hosts Fauci, Wallensky, Leana Wen and a whole bunch of others who issue

pronouncements. Then we find those statements are false and nothing is corrected.

They constantly carry on like all is well with the vax while heartbreaking stories of vax injury come to light almost every hour.

I think CNN's ratings prove how utterly poor they are at their job. People know.

Edited by LetsGoBrandon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

not a single specific criticism of CNN or Equal === Peachy ! no other possible conclusion, is there ?

subject earlier closed from my side…..

tedious repeated requests I ‘ve already refused.

my requests ignored….asserted very little…. questioned much….mostly answered , thanks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

not a single specific criticism of CNN or Equal === Peachy ! no other possible conclusion, is there ?

They need to commit a fairly egregious breach to warrant criticism really. Could you imagine this happening at Fox?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/06/26/media/cnn-announcement-retracted-article/index.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

my requests ignored….asserted very little…. questioned much….mostly answered , thanks.

No links to backup your opinion. Crickets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

CNN hosts Fauci, Wallensky, Leana Wen and a whole bunch of others who issue

pronouncements. Then we find those statements are false and nothing is corrected.

They constantly carry on like all is well with the vax while heartbreaking stories of vax injury come to light almost every hour.

I think CNN's ratings prove how utterly poor they are at their job. People know.

There have been 723,683 deaths from COVID since the first COVID death on Feb 6 2020 (609 days ago).

That’s an average of 1,188 deaths per day or 50 per hour.

If you had evidence of verifiable hourly reports  of injury from the vaccine you’d post it.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

5 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

If you can’t produce evidence of CNN spreading misinformation on COVID, vaccines or public health measures to combat COVID quit your baseless bleating.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There have been 723,683 deaths from COVID since the first COVID death on Feb 6 2020 (609 days ago).

If you had evidence of verifiable hourly reports  of injury from the vaccine you’d post it.

A lot of covid deaths, you may have also noticed more people died so far in 2021 of covid than all of year 2020, and NO ONE was vaccinated in 2020.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And we know that number is low. As confirmed by most nations. Along with the several that don't even report.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, codemonkey said:

A lot of covid deaths, you may have also noticed more people died so far in 2021 of covid than all of year 2020, and NO ONE was vaccinated in 2020.

Umm....it didn't really take off globally in the first part of 2020. The delta variant wasn't around. And most countries admitted that initially,they couldn't test for covid, so couldn't classify the deaths as such.

A very small percentage of the global population is currently vaccinated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“Many conservative media outlets are spreading misinformation. That's a proven fact.”

This keeps repeating.Never disputed that. But not everything they say is a Lie, is it ?

And Fox etc.admit their politics, unlike the dishonest CNN etc, who insidiously claim to be “Impartial”.

Left wing media “clean as a whistle” then, are they ?

They do admit it? Where would that be? Like the time they came clean when they fired the guy  who called Arizona for Trump and others involved in that call?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

I don't have a peer reviewed paper to back this but I think public trust in corporate media sources,

medical professionals, science figureheads and government officials is at an all-time low.

How do I know?

Just a wild guess.

It does seem like that, but there are some things to consider.

In the past it was your grouchy older relatives or the bloviating know-it-all at work or in the pub that you heard from.

So your exposure was limited and the person's audience was limited.

Now with social media every loudmouth has an audience bigger than Abraham Lincoln ever had.

I do think your original observation is true but these factors make it seem worse.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Wow!

If you have an afternoon to spare check out reddit (r/vaccinated) and read through the many

injuries reported there. 

Unless you think they're all lying and this is just a huge conspiracy.

Just because complicit media outlets and tech platforms throttle what's going on doesn't mean it isn't.

This should not devolve into a case of my truth matters and everyone else can go to hell. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

For all you CNN/MSNBC lovers out there, try Breaking Points on YouTube. One anchor center left, one center right. Although they don't seem to be doing any investigative journalism, very few MSM outlets do anymore either. They at least can present a topic without all the Don Lemon, Rachelle Maddow hystrionics.

Edited by frantick
Grammar
  • Confused 1