COVID-19: Thailand reports 9,930 new coronavirus cases, 97 deaths

webfact

COV4.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Monday (October 4) reported 9,930 new COVID-19 cases, 12,336 recoveries and 97 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

◼︎ 12,336 recoveries

◼︎ 9,568 new infections 

◼︎ 362 prison / prison infections

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 1,618,499

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,493,077

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,647,362 with 17,111 deaths.

The news comes as top Thai virologist claims herd immunity does not work with COVID-19. So says Dr. Yong Poovorawan, chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University, in his Facebook post on Sunday.

He said that, when the majority of people in a country have developed immunity, whether from vaccinations or after being infected with a disease, such as measles, the minority who have not been vaccinated or who have not been infected by the disease will be protected from the infection.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update04OCT).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 2

Chonburi Public Health Office is reporting 594 new cases today and 1 death. Most new cases are in Chonburi City (138), Si Racha (150), and Bang Lamung/Pattaya (117). There are 10,701 patients in care #COVID19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1444807175088459780

• Thanks 2

Phuket health authorities are reporting 179 new local cases , one case from the Sandbox and four deaths. There are 4,660 patients in care The #PhuketSandbox has had 126 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1444807413983416322

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Death numbers remain at 11 deaths/million of population recorded over the past 7 days, down 18% according to the worldometer ranking. 

This places Thailand 69th in the world one place below the UK and just above Vietnam. 

Cases also fell 11% over the same period. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 9,930 official new infections, with 362 of those from prison and 9,568 from the community. 97 official covid deaths recorded. The third day of a welcome double digit number.

Rapid tests positive cases, highest for previous 14 days, 1,743 bringing the unofficial total to 11,673

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Last 7 days Ventilator Capacity:

28/09/21 = 738

29/09/21 = 729

30/09/21 = 717

01/10/21 = 709

02/10/21 = 725

03/10/21 = 712

04/10/21 = 719

Rolling 7 day average (up to 2nd Oct) which includes prison cases and bar chart of community cases from daily official announcements.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

data 4 oct.png

data 4 oct 2.png

Comparing the downtrend we see in the above graph with other countries I see an inequality as most of the other graphs I have looked at show that the cases dropped almost as fast as they went upwards. Thailand looks completely different as the cases have slowly come down and plateaued seemingly showing a new bottom line forming.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Death numbers remain at 11 deaths/million of population recorded over the past 7 days, down 18% according to the worldometer ranking. 

This places Thailand 69th in the world one place below the UK and just above Vietnam. 

Cases also fell 11% over the same period. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/#weekly_table

So with the numbers it appears that Thailand has climb upward then over yesterdays post you made showing they were 70th.  Cases did drop another 1% in the past 7 days but it seems that the 7 day average is starting to bottom out and we are in a new flatline.  Lets hope that in the next two weeks the cases drop further, but then vaccinations need to pick back up and folks need to be taken care off.  Heard immunity is not possible with this virus as being said by many virologists including Dr. Yong.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Comparing the downtrend we see in the above graph with other countries I see an inequality as most of the other graphs I have looked at show that the cases dropped almost as fast as they went upwards. Thailand looks completely different as the cases have slowly come down and plateaued seemingly showing a new bottom line forming.  

I'm noticing that too, the decline is slowing and appears to be heading for a flat line scenario. We had one Health Ministry doctor saying it would hover at 10,000 a day and then the next week saying it would decline to 5,000 a day, lets see which of his predictions comes to pass.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So with the numbers it appears that Thailand has climb upward then over yesterdays post you made showing they were 70th.  Cases did drop another 1% in the past 7 days but it seems that the 7 day average is starting to bottom out and we are in a new flatline.  Lets hope that in the next two weeks the cases drop further, but then vaccinations need to pick back up and folks need to be taken care off.  Heard immunity is not possible with this virus as being said by many virologists including Dr. Yong.

Correction. Cases have dropped 11% in the past 7 days. 

Yes, “vaccination need to pick back up and people need to be taken care of, isnt that stating the obvious? 

Yes, re Herd immunity and Dr Yong, I am able to read the OP too. 

Edited by Kadilo

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Correction. Cases have dropped 11% in the past 7 days. 

Yes, “vaccination need to pick back up and people need to be taken care of, isnt that stating the obvious? 

Yes, re Herd immunity and Dr Yong, I have read the OP too. 

Yesterday you posted that cases dropped 10% for the seven day average, my post indicated it dropped another 1%, sorry if that was not apparent and I did not put 11% versus yesterdays 10% you posted.  I thought it was quite obvious.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is the metric that we should be paying attention too, and not the metrics shown by certain folks they parade around by following the cases from the beginning of Covid.  Stats are stats and we rely on what's happening now and in the short past timeframe.  We should not be relying on metrics from last year or even the first quarter except to evaluate and determine the way forward from the recent past week and quarter.  Of course that's my view.  We can compare recent numbers versus past numbers all day long, but to use the overall stats to determine how countries compare in todays time frame gives false information as to how the country is currently doing.  If I had a company and my CFO came to me and said that we were in 70th place versus other companies using stats compiled over a 2 year period and not how we are doing versus the others in the past quarter I would fire the <deleted> as being incompetent.  The metric should be how are we doing now versus others as of this recent quarter and 7 day period.

The only figures that matter are the current ones.

Those figures relate to the Delta variant, the effects of restrictions and a slowing vaccination campaign by the looks of it.

Covid was a game of two halves for Thailand.

Only the most knaive or gullible of posters would fail to understand or comprend that.

• Like 1

UPDATE: 9,930 confirmed cases, 1,743 probable cases, and 97 deaths (1.04%). Out of 109,748 patients , 37,536 are in hospital, 59,177 in ‘hospitel’ and 10,019 in home/community isolation. 3,071 in a serious condition (-3) with 719 on ventilators (+7) #Thailand #COVID19

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1444842345111830528

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lets hope the next one Thailand does in fact do what it says below

Thailand Emphasizes Universal Health Coverage in Tackling COVID-19

On this occasion, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs stressed the importance of strengthening UHC to better address COVID-19 and prepare for future pandemics. He shared the following key priorities: (1) promoting equitable, affordable, timely and universal access to vaccines and medicines by ensuring technology transfer to scale up production capacities at all levels - national, regional and global; (2) tackling the challenge of underinvestment in healthcare infrastructures and services by strengthening global medical health financing mechanisms to help developing countries; and (3) integrating UHC as part of post COVID-19 response strategies by including UHC as an important part of international conversations on preparedness and response to future global health emergencies, including in the ongoing conversation on development of a pandemic treaty.

https://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

other countries have been consistant in testing numbers making it a non variable in the overall data, Thailands testing numbers have been reducing making detection data unreliable

not that testing has ever been in significant numbers to begin with - I think they reached a daily total of 76k several weeks ago which I now believe is closer to half that number.

As for deaths and serious illness outside of hospitals - that one is anybodies guess as those that die outside of hospital care go up in a puff of smoke without any medical professional attending 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yesterday you posted that cases dropped 10% for the seven day average, my post indicated it dropped another 1%, sorry if that was not apparent and I did not put 11% versus yesterdays 10% you posted.  I thought it was quite obvious.

No it wasn’t,  so just for clarity:

Number  of new cases has fallen 11% over the past week whilst death numbers have fallen by 18% over the same period. 

Edited by Kadilo

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

other countries have been consistant in testing numbers making it a non variable in the overall data, Thailands testing numbers have been reducing making detection data unreliable

not that testing has ever been in significant numbers to begin with - I think they reached a daily total of 76k several weeks ago which I now believe is closer to half that number.

As for deaths and serious illness outside of hospitals - that one is anybodies guess as those that die outside of hospital care go up in a puff of smoke without any medical professional attending 

We all know the lack of testing missing many covid deaths has hidden the true cost of this pandemic here in Thailand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

One has to wonder what the testing level was over the weekend for these Monday numbers as far as cases go.  Waiting to see what develops as the week progresses.  Nice to see the trend going downward, but todays increase in deaths from yesterday shows that we are not out of the woods yet as there are many still in critical condition, on ventilators and languishing at home.  I do hope that the vaccinations are a key metric in why the cases are declining, but then with many still unvaccinated, and then the outlook of heard immunity being thrown out the window, one wonders where we go from here.  Do we accept Covid as just another virus now that we can ensure protection by vaccination to a degree, or do we keep everything locked down until they feel the genie has been put back in the bottle.  Time to move forward at this point with folks still taking the proper precautions, and social distancing still observed.  Vaccinated folks may still be able to have a break through case and yes they can still infect others as has been shown, but we have to accept that we can not let this issue keep folks from opening up and schools from opening either.  Should we see a new variant that is more infectious and more dangerous than this Delta variant has been then all bets are off as to how the world will react.  Reminds me of running to a bomb shelter every time an air raid siren went off, and kids dropping under their desks only coming up when it was declared a false alarm.  We need to accept covid like we have the Flu, the Chicken Pox, Shingles and others that return again and again as a mutated variant. I hope during the past 20 months that the medical community and governments have learned something, but alas I am skeptical regarding that one, as every other day they continually flip flop, just like here in Thailand.  As always stay safe and protect yourselves and loved ones. 

A failure to Test for potential new Variants within the Country, was one of the prime reasons Thailand as placed on the UK,s Red List.

Failure to contain and ring fence outbreaks was another, and with the Petri Dish of Infections in the deep South, all bets are off.

• Like 2

Voluntary inoculation of school students with Pfizer vaccine begins in Thailand

Thailand’s mass voluntary Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination campaign, for students aged 12 to 18, began today (Monday October 4th).

3.6 million students in this age group, or 71% of the 5 million nationwide, have received consent from their guardians for their inoculation with the US-German mRNA vaccine, following the arrival in Thailand of the first lot of 2 million doses last Wednesday. A further 28 million doses are on order and will follow. Six more million Pfizer doses are expected to arrive later this month.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/voluntary-inoculation-of-school-students-with-pfizer-vaccine-begins-in-thailand/

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

No it wasn’t,  so just for clarity:

Number  of new cases has fallen 11% over the past week whilst death numbers have fallen by 18% over the same period. 

Here is your post from yesterday:

"Death numbers continue to fall with 11 deaths/million of population recorded over the past 7 days, down 11%, according to the worldometer ranking. 

This places Thailand 70 th in the world below both Vietnam and Philippines. 

Cases also fell 10% over the same period. "

So my post stating that the cases have fallen 1% more to make it 11% matches what you wrote yesterday and then today.  Capisce....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The news comes as top Thai virologist claims herd immunity does not work with COVID-19.

He added:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

the minority who have not been vaccinated or who have not been infected by the disease will be protected from the infection.

Excuse me Dr. Yong, but isn't that what 'herd immunity' is all about?