Where are older single farang women retiring in Asia?

5 yrs ago I was travelling with a friend from the Uk. She was my age and a large girl. I met her in Bali off the beaten track in a coastal town. She had a bali guy on the go. She had to pay for everything for him.... Dinners etc. She didnt admit to paying him daily rate or nightly rate or whatever but I didnt judge her. It was the first time I saw this situation

4 hours ago, LeatFingies said:

Do you feel the same way when you see old, unattractive men with young attractive Thai women?

No, I don't have any reactions like that because I believe it's their call/their business. End of story.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Thailand particularly Pattaya  is or was man centric and caters mostly to western males with Clubs ,social clubs etc ,not a womans only clubs in pattaya ?

Pattaya International Ladies Club

Bridge Club

And I always see a few old biddies in Hemmingway's on a Thursday having lunch and playing cards.

And on my morning beach walks there's a few older ladies walking also.

So there's some around, and something for them to do.

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Pattaya International Ladies Club

Bridge Club

And I always see a few old biddies in Hemmingway's on a Thursday having lunch and playing cards.

And on my morning beach walks there's a few older ladies walking also.

So there's some around, and something for them to do.

Yeah - I can see the benefit of a beach side town versus being out pounding the same old concrete every day....A whole different vibe....

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Bali and Phangan/Samui have for long time been know as being the two places in Asia were women settles, or just travel to for fun and vacation.

I live on Samui and here are numerous Western female expats, and also many single female tourists, as well as Western couples that also settles; my neighbor for almost 10 years was a British couple, and behind them lived an elder French couple.

In the little Samui-village where I stay, I can count as many Western women as Western men. A number of my male Thai friends have had, or is having, a Western partner, and children with their partners. One elder Thai man - in the medical expression, meaning 40 years or older - is having a young Danish girlfriend, one that many Western men would wishful look at...????

In my first bungalow on Samui, which I rented for almost 6 years, I had an elder French couple as neighbor - he spoke fluently Vietnamese, but hardly any English, and no Thai, and I only spoke French "un petit peu" - and to the other side a elder French single lady that often had different Thai men as visitor. Opposite me was an elder Danish couple every year during the winter months, and just across the entrance lived a British lady with her Thai husband.

The village I live in actually has a small community of French ladies, but in general there are many Western ladies of all ages living all over the island, of course including spouses of Western couples. For example was the charity foundation "Sisters of Samui" formed in 1997 by a group of women living on the island. The ladies arranged to meet for monthly lunches and raise funds for charity; today it's an extremely active society with sometimes quite big events, and still the monthly "Ladies Lunch" (I'm not sure if men are allowed).

In normal years with tourism, lots of Western women are visting the islands - Samui and Phangan are well known for parties attractive to younger folks - either single ladies or small groups of female friends together, and it seems like numerous of them are also dating some guys while staying here, and some of them are dating Asian men, just like some of the young Western guys might date Asian girls.

I noted in a group that is sharing memories and old pictures from mainly Koh Phangan - mostly from around the 1990s - that even there were many young men in the photos, there were only very few Thai girls, but in contrary there were numerous Western girls pictured together with Thai men...???? 

"The ladies arranged to meet for monthly lunches and raise funds for charity; today it's an extremely active society with sometimes quite big events, and still the monthly "Ladies Lunch" (I'm not sure if men are allowed)."

I think we can speculate with a high degree of certainty, that men are not allowed, unless they be the main course! ????

5 hours ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

How about those large farang who paying the innocent Isaan darkling they be with? 

It's their call, in either direction.

A side point; It's not only western woman who go to Bali to meet / form relationships with young Balinese men, many Japanese woman do the same.

Edited by scorecard

9 hours ago, bbabythai said:

5 yrs ago I was travelling with a friend from the Uk. She was my age and a large girl. I met her in Bali off the beaten track in a coastal town. She had a bali guy on the go. She had to pay for everything for him.... Dinners etc. She didnt admit to paying him daily rate or nightly rate or whatever but I didnt judge her. It was the first time I saw this situation

Was there any reason who you should mention 'judging her'?

Seems to me whether she was or wasn't paying him a daily rate is totally private to the couple involved. 

After all, many western (and other men) give their wife a monthly allowance or give their wife total access to the money earned by the husband (where the husband is the only one earning an income).

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

I noted in a group that is sharing memories and old pictures from mainly Koh Phangan - mostly from around the 1990s - that even there were many young men in the photos, there were only very few Thai girls, but in contrary there were numerous Western girls pictured together with Thai men...???? 

IMO one had to be wealthy or desperate to rent date a bargirl on Samui back in the 90s. Much cheaper and certainly more choice if bringing one with you from Pattaya.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

My first thought was Bali, because of the Julia Roberts movie. No doubt in my mind that every western woman on the planet watched that and planned to go there in search of Mr Perfection. :heart_001::wub::giggle:

Wow, the first few posts I read are nothing less than short sighted and ignorant. There are loads of older  foreign women travelers who are much more adventurous than your average older male who’s main idea is getting laid with a much younger person ( man / girl)  or finding a wife ! No one thinks this is anything to write about , except when it all goes wrong of course !!

yes, the Caribbean and some places in Africa attract certain women. Who cares ?  It’s a very sorry vision to think that an older woman only goes to a place to find a young man ! I have plenty of single women friends in Thailand, even Pattaya, who would never dream of something like that ! They are divorced or single by choice., enjoy seeing the world and getting away from the winter in EU, even settling down for good. My best friend leased land and house in Bali for over 30 years, a little paradise, she had a maid and chauffeur. I’ve met all her friends who have business there, mainly fashion and jewelry, art etc, and very few are married . None to younger men ! I’m not saying there’s anything wrong in having a younger friend, just that women aren’t constantly inhabited by the idea or want. Most, are happy to live their own lives without the bother or responsibility . Once you’ve had a stable and successful life, you can happily do what you want and where you want alone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Wow, the first few posts I read are nothing less than short sighted and ignorant. There are loads of older  foreign women travelers who are much more adventurous than your average older male who’s main idea is getting laid with a much younger person ( man / girl)  or finding a wife ! No one thinks this is anything to write about , except when it all goes wrong of course !!

yes, the Caribbean and some places in Africa attract certain women. Who cares ?  It’s a very sorry vision to think that an older woman only goes to a place to find a young man ! I have plenty of single women friends in Thailand, even Pattaya, who would never dream of something like that ! They are divorced or single by choice., enjoy seeing the world and getting away from the winter in EU, even settling down for good. My best friend leased land and house in Bali for over 30 years, a little paradise, she had a maid and chauffeur. I’ve met all her friends who have business there, mainly fashion and jewelry, art etc, and very few are married . None to younger men ! I’m not saying there’s anything wrong in having a younger friend, just that women aren’t constantly inhabited by the idea or want. Most, are happy to live their own lives without the bother or responsibility . Once you’ve had a stable and successful life, you can happily do what you want and where you want alone.

News flash- men and women have different priorities in life, which could be one contributing factor to the 50% + of failed marriages.

Just because women can live happily without men it doesn't work visa versa.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, pgrahmm said:

I was looking to buy a George Foreman grill...I forgot how we connected, but a lady had one she was selling....

In checking it out and chatting I asked why she was selling it.....

She was selling everything & going back to the US....It was her experience that Thailand was too lonely a place for older farang women....She indicated that no men were even interested in friendship, "they all want Thai women".....She also said that there was no groups, or structure of support for retired farang women....They were basically forgotten and invisible....Kind of just a hole in society....

I believe she said that she knew others that had found it the same and had moved away over time....

I didn't try to suggest anything as she was packed and moving on....Not knowing her all I could do was wish her well....

I'm sure there's some niche groups, networks,  or "clubs" out there - probably not very many.....

I remember upon leaving there that I felt very badly for her....Still do....

There are a number of groups for women. Most are groups like BWG, married & retired single women. Most countries have "stitching&bitching" groups.

"Meet up" is a good way to meet ppl. Spent 10 yrs in Bkk alone while my husband worked offshore. No problem. 

On 10/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

I've never heard of men feeling lonely here in Thailand.

You can't be serious.  Plenty of lonely western guys in Thailand, especially when they run out of money.  Plenty of happy western guys as well, but to say you've "never heard of men feeling lonely in Thailand...," that's just daft. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You can't be serious.  Plenty of lonely western guys in Thailand, especially when they run out of money.  Plenty of happy western guys as well, but to say you've "never heard of men feeling lonely in Thailand...," that's just daft. 

Sorry. I've never heard of it in real life. I've heard of it on this forum. You have just mentioned it but really! Feeling lonely! Gimme a break. This 8s the most difficult place in the world to feel lonely! People who feel lonely here have a personality problem that would follow them to any country. BUT If you feel lonely here. Move! Just move..return home to your friends, family, community etc.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

News flash- men and women have different priorities in life, which could be one contributing factor to the 50% + of failed marriages.

Just because women can live happily without men it doesn't work visa versa.

Men thrive without women unless they are inadequate. 

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Sorry. I've never heard of it in real life. I've heard of it on this forum. You have just mentioned it but really! Feeling lonely! Gimme a break. This 8s the most difficult place in the world to feel lonely! People who feel lonely here have a personality problem that would follow them to any country. BUT If you feel lonely here. Move! Just move..return home to your friends, family, community etc.

Alright dude, whatever.  But it's like saying "there are no alcoholics in Thailand because I don't know any!"  Btw, I know a few guys who get laid regularly (for a fee of course) but are still lonely.   

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

Ergo those men do come for the beaches and temples. 

Glad we got that confirmed

People..men can and do..both...there is no dichotomy between an interest in pleasures of the flesh and other more esoteric interests. Many guys go out and about to with their Thai girls to temples  parks, festivals, museums, beaches, jungles, swimming pools, restaraunts...etc. You obviously know nothing about how the P4P scene works!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, geisha said:

The OP referenced retirement not travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Alright dude, whatever.  But it's like saying "there are no alcoholics in Thailand because I don't know any!"  Btw, I know a few guys who get laid regularly (for a fee of course) but are still lonely.   

Nobody says there are no Alcoholics! It's a disease! An illness! And it exists everywhere. Thailand is the easiest place in the world not to be lonely which is a character deficit. People who are lonely here will be lonely anywhere. I reiterate: after 30 years traveling and living here I have never heard of someone claiming to be lonely except in print on this forum. This country is one of the easiest places in the world to have company, conversations, acquaintaces, friendships, lovers, etc. If people get lonley here they need help. They should go home.

28 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nobody says there are no Alcoholics! It's a disease! An illness! And it exists everywhere. Thailand is the easiest place in the world not to be lonely which is a character deficit. People who are lonely here will be lonely anywhere. I reiterate: after 30 years traveling and living here I have never heard of someone claiming to be lonely except in print on this forum. This country is one of the easiest places in the world to have company, conversations, acquaintaces, friendships, lovers, etc. If people get lonley here they need help. They should go home.

Just to make sure : Is this still about where old single Farang women retire in Asia?