One teen killed, two survive, after motorbike hits tree

webfact

1633586918_1-org.jpg

Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 14-year-old boy was killed when the motorbike he was riding with two friends sitting behind him hit a tree beside Thepkrasattri Rd just south of the Heroines Monument last night (Oct 6).

Maj Niwat Timket of the Thalang Police was notified of the accident, near Ruampong Motor Co Ltd on Thepkasattri Rd northbound in Moo 3, Srisoonthorn, at 11:55pm.

Maj Niwat arrived at the scene, just over 500 metres south of the Heroines Monument, to find the damaged Phuket-registered Honda motorbike on the road and a large tamarind tree with a heavy impact mark.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/one-teen-killed-two-survive-after-motorbike-hits-tree-81630.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-07

• Sad 3

Very sad. 

I proprose that they adopt the same rules as in the U.S.:

No driver or passenger on a two-wheeled vehicle under the age of 18 can ride without a helmet.

No more than two people on a two-wheeled vehicle (certainly never five or six [which I have seen many times in Thailand])

No driving any vehicle without a license. 

But....

...this will never happen unless they intend to actually enforce traffic rules at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Very sad. 

I proprose that they adopt the same rules as in the U.S.:

No driver or passenger on a two-wheeled vehicle under the age of 18 can ride without a helmet.

No more than two people on a two-wheeled vehicle (certainly never five or six [which I have seen many times in Thailand])

No driving any vehicle without a license. 

But....

...this will never happen unless they intend to actually enforce traffic rules at all.

You can make as much rules as you like, but......I think you know the answer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the underlying facets of so many deaths on the roads in Thailand is the utter inability of Thai’s to accept or proportion responsibility.... 

‘.... a car skidded on a wet road'

‘.... brakes failed going down a hill'

‘.... motorbike hit a tree'

In nearly every article I read involving a traffic incident ‘something’ is blamed rather than someone.... 

In this case it is the ‘motorcycle which hit the tree’, not the deceased failing to control the motorcycling and hitting a tree. 

Only when there is an underlying cultural shift towards being responsible and accountable for ones actions will we see improvement not only in road safety, but safety across many other facets of life in Thailand.

Partially true. Thai fatalism is a big factor. According to many Thai beliefs, these children were destined for this to happen and you can't change fate. I think that Buddhism has something to do with this.

The real culprits are the rider, speeding to show off to his friends, the rain and uncaring parents.

Just a normal day here young kids skidded up on the inside of me 2 days ago, i had stopped for a car reversing out to my left, he thought he would zoom past on the inside. I see this kid zooming around everyday around narrow winding roads. Short life for him I am sure.

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Your laws need amending or is it 18 yr olds heads are thicker?

I agree. I wear a hemet 100% of the time and all reasonable people do. But, the anti-helmet lobby is strong in the U.S. 

10 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

But, the anti-helmet lobby is strong in the U.S. 

Same as the Anti-Vaxx lobby, anti-mask and Pro-Gun Lobby. 

I often suspect that the mentality is one borne of an anarchistic subconsciousness.

I get the impression that these characters consider it their duty to push back against every government related rule and regulation, an underlying ‘hunger’ to fight the perceived erosion of rights.

i.e. IF the government had laws telling them not to wear helmets the very same characters would insist on wearing a helmet as its their right to make their own choice !!! ????

• Like 2

22 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

And the parents don't care....

No, they will just go to bed and make another one.

The parents of underage children who allow them to ride motorbikes should be prosecuted. and as it was said, they just don't care.

• Like 1