Can we trust the Thai government to keep its word on November 1st?

Scouse123

@Scouse123

There is no guarantee, it is just a plan but it's not set in stone. The date has been postponed several times in the past. Many plans have changed in Thailand in the past.

If the number of infections goes down, then it will most probably be 1 Nov. If the number goes up to 20,000 or worse, it might be postponed again. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

7 day SHA?

Yes it's been dropped to 7 from 14 if you are vaccinated after that your free to go anywhere. Best do a Facebook search of Phuket sandbox and Richard barrow in Thailand they are busy forums with up to date information 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, madmen said:

OP the COE is not the mountain of paperwork it's made out to be around these forums. You log on take some pics on your phone then upload and that took 2 hour for me. Pay for your flights and your 7 day SHA +Phuket hotel and they are all half price. Pay for 2 PCR tests and COVID insurance your done. 

If money is really tight then fair enough but apart from that have an enjoyable Phuket stay on your return 

You forgot the 40K/400K Ins.

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

You can trust them as far as you can throw them goes on the saying.. strangely enough, governments don't operate on a premise of trust, only what is perceived to be good for the government/people on the day...

Surely it is well know all over Thailand by everyone except the very deluded few that you cannot trust a word that comes from the unelected PM's mouth.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no "word" to be kept as the government never made a definitive commitment to do this. It was announced only as a tentative plan, contingent on things like progress with vaccination, case count etc.

Also please note that the details were never announced and it was certainly never suggested (and probably never intended) that there would be no conditionalities and people could just fly into Bangkok and then go on to other parts of the country. indeed the discussion was specific to Bangkok and referred to the existing Sandboxes, so very likely that there will be as required pre-paid Bangkok hotel booking, COVID tests after arrival, etc etc.

What you are saying is very true, but ie if the unelected PM is asked if he has any idea when the country will open up, and he says "the country will open on the 1st November" and it doesn't, then surely that makes him a liar.

Again, if he says I would like, or I will try and open up the country on 1st November, then that is different.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chessman said:

To be fair, earlier in the pandemic the UK were changing the designation of countries in their traffic light system with just a few days notice. This led to people cutting short trips and the ludicrous situation of someone arriving back in the country at 11 pm being OK but those arriving at 1 am the next day having to quarantine.

In my opinion, the English Thai news and this forum don’t do a good job of distinguishing between government proposals and government decisions. Opening in November seems to be a proposal.

I agree with all what you say.

And sometimes, even for long stayers like me, accustomed to the flip flopping of the government, when you see a fancy title, you think it has come from the government.

Many news items often have been said by a government minister or spokesman, but then we find out later that it is  not in their official capacity or the government position, and is a personal view in a private capacity, and that is where confusion takes hold.

In the UK they clarify this by stating ' It was an opinion and does not necessarily reflect the government position or such and such, it is a private opinion as he/she is not authorized to speak to the media '

We then get those jumping out with ' Only believe what is in the Royal Gazette '  Many don't check the Royal Gazette on a daily basis, I don't even know how to.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

unless it has been gazetted it is merely...

carrot.jpg

Well,

It seems from popular and knowledgeable people on the board that it was a possible/ maybe/ not sure/  proposal as opposed to a timeline for reopening.

That's OK, fine and dandy.

The clowns better reassess their tourism figures because people who have a two week break from work won't want to fly all the way here for a week in some hotel with plethora of restrictions,  no guests, a large number of expensive PCR tests, (before travel and after arrival), double vaccinated, compulsory face masks and social distancing and no entertainment places open. Then of course, COE, $100K Covid insurance............Why come here?

If I didn't have strong family ties here, no chance! and I don't think I am alone in that.

They need to stop eating the funny mushrooms or stop drinking the mushroom tea and get in the real world!

The only way forward, is RAPID and ROBUST procedures with trusted vaccinations not lockdowns and closures!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

I think even if they do open it'll be SHA hotels on return, sealed routes and still the 7 day restrictions on provincial travel and covid tests. I'm waiting to return but want to go straight to GF place and stay. If you say your open your open. With restrictions etc it's not really "open for tourism". They need to stop with the BS and say it how it is in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:03 PM, thierryviteau said:

Do you think that you can trust your own government ? You have your reply...

But if you think that you totally trust the way any government in the world has managed the covid and forced vaccination to innocent people, then good luck for the future...

Still waiting for a reply ! At the the provax lobby on this forum should said that governments around the world have perfectly managed the pandemics ? one more lie or less doesn't seem a problem for them...

On 10/9/2021 at 9:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

That is both great information and great news. Heading back end of this month, and plan to return just after the new year, hoping for a further easing of restrictions.

Time for the fools to admit that foreigners are not the issue anymore. The Thais are now the zombies. 

I read somewhere that you were about to leave ? Finally able to think how stupid it is to think that anywhere else is better ?!

They have not really promised or guaranteed much without conditions.  Different offices have said different things and included some conditions such as infection rates, infection numbers, and other words.  Will just have to wait and see.  Same same.. but different

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We are vigorously looking at Mexico. Both my Thai wife and I want out. Badly. It is going from bad to worse here. 

A good friend just got his living trust done by a very good foreign lawyer. One of the top guys in Bangkok. He said 80% of his trade now is doing legal work for ex-pats who are leaving. Figuring out how to deal with their assets. 

Tens of thousands have already left, and tens of thousands are making plans. 

Sorry guys. But, Thailand is going downhill. Fast. 

It will be interesting to hear how well, bad, or problematic getting monies or transferring monies of any significant size will be from Thailand.  Special bank forms will be needed that were not known before?  How to get 800k baht that may have been on deposit for visas out, and things like that. Selling of a condo and now a few million baht getting out of Thailand, etc..  Everything sounds easy until some official hears something and then decides they don't like expats taking money out.  Stranger things have happened

On 10/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, Scouse123 said:

Well,

It seems from popular and knowledgeable people on the board that it was a possible/ maybe/ not sure/  proposal as opposed to a timeline for reopening.

That's OK, fine and dandy.

The clowns better reassess their tourism figures because people who have a two week break from work won't want to fly all the way here for a week in some hotel with plethora of restrictions,  no guests, a large number of expensive PCR tests, (before travel and after arrival), double vaccinated, compulsory face masks and social distancing and no entertainment places open. Then of course, COE, $100K Covid insurance............Why come here?

If I didn't have strong family ties here, no chance! and I don't think I am alone in that.

They need to stop eating the funny mushrooms or stop drinking the mushroom tea and get in the real world!

The only way forward, is RAPID and ROBUST procedures with trusted vaccinations not lockdowns and closures!

There are many ways forward.  Each has its own pros and cons.  vaccinations is one way, but Thailand by the numbers is very unlikely to get its population vaccination percentage as high than what many might expect

Unless there's a massive upturn in infections, resulting in deaths, I really can't see him flipping on this one.  The man seemed to finally wake up a couple of months back and started talking about living with the virus.  After seemingly not giving a sh *t for a year and a half, his change of M.O. seemed to co-incide with the fall of the baht - strange that.

Don't forget that he is also facing serious (being played down) unrest and the next election is not all that far off.

I will be very surprised if the requirement for Covid insurance is ditched - wait for the detail.

Edited by KhaoYai

My understand is that the Nov. 1 opening is not yet official. It needs to be published in the Thailand Gazette, and it has not been published, to make it official. Also, the details and facts are not available at Thailand embassies or consulates in foreign countries, at this time.

No, you cannot trust the spoken words of the government. Only trust the written and published words.

Edited by Banana7