Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

9 hours ago, pablo el sueco said:

My transfer this morning was not usual, though.  On the first Send screen where I entered the amount of dollars I wanted to transfer, It said the deposit would take seconds; not the usual one to three days.  Then after I finalized the transaction a few screens later, the deposit into my bank was indeed immediate.  That has never happened before.  A transfer on the weekend has never posted to my account until Monday or often Tuesday.

That happened to me last month when I transferred another amount and did not select "funds for long stay in Thailand." I got the notice from my bank that a transfer had arrived in the account almost immediately, but when I transferred my pension on 1 Oct. it took until 2:00 PM as usual. This is worrying, indeed.

There's a step where you have to choose a method of transfer. I've always left it on ACH, even though it's usually a dollar or two more expensive that Wire Transfer. I wonder if choosing Wire Transfer will solve the problem.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

I still don't understand this. I thought the Wise system worked as follows. You transfer the money to them, in my case GBP in the UK. They then instructed their Thai bank to send you the money in baht to your thai bank. The money then goes into your thai bank. How can that happen instantaneously?

In over 50 transactions with Wise over the last few years the money has always hit my Thai bank account within minutes only once did it take several hours and I think it’s because I did that particular transfer at a weekend the quickest has been 6 minutes I always have money sitting in my Wise GB account as a safety net as Natwest U.K. is not the most reliable bank when it comes to transferring money

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

My monthly transfers funds now say (trade for finance)  i'm with Kasikorn ??

My last transaction Sept 28 reason for transfer (tourism expenses) ? Kasikorn must get this info from Wise or ,as the report is computer generated, the output may not understand the input parameters

Edited by norbra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone with basic knowledge of Wise knows International transfers = Bangkok Bank + Long term stay

So why are quite a few members, who have more than a 'basic' knowledge of Wise, seeing their transfers to Bangkok Bank as funds 'for long term stay' complaining that the transfer is going through Kasikorn Bank, and so arriving at Bkk Bank as a local transfer, not FTT as it used to do.

I am one who has knowledge of how Wise works having been transferring for almost three years.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So why are quite a few members, who have more than a 'basic' knowledge of Wise, seeing their transfers to Bangkok Bank as funds 'for long term stay' complaining that the transfer is going through Kasikorn Bank, and so arriving at Bkk Bank as a local transfer, not FTT as it used to do.

I am one who has knowledge of how Wise works having been transferring for almost three years.

Presumably it's all part of the same problem and Wise will confirm to those that have asked. Kasikorn is one of the 3 partner banks, not usually used for the Bangkok Bank Long term stay transfers

3 hours ago, thefactoryoutlet said:

Thank you, but where FTT appears written ?!

possible at ATM ? at the desk ?

Here is a partial copy from my BBK statement for September 2021.

16-Sep-21    International Transfer from Wise
16-Sep-21    Interbank Transfer to KBank
17-Sep-21    Commission/Annual Fee
21-Sep-21    International Transfer from Wise
21-Sep-21    Interbank Transfer to KBank
27-Sep-21    International Transfer from Wise
27-Sep-21    Interbank Transfer to KBank

I have just looked at my BBK bankbook and they also show up as FTT in there.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone with even a little knowledge knows this is about Bangkok Bank mentioned in the first post

Many people understand it is mainly about transfers by Wise to Thailand. Both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank are mentioned frequently as are one or two other banks

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BKK57 said:

For CW Immigration I still go to the bank with 12 months worth of Credit Advices just before renewing my visa to get a "Confirmation Letter" showing international transfer totals for the previous 12 months. Since I have the printed  Credit Advices it only takes 15 minutes or so to get the letter.

Have not be asked for confirmation letter at CW as long as present passbook and 1 year account statement and the normal account ownership letter.  There seem to be various options.

My understanding is that he bank would know where the money is coming from.

So it might explains why the 'Agent' that I use, a lawyer by profession, asks to go to the bank, and ask for a yearly statement of transfers, showing on that list of transfers, that they were in fact 'International'. The bank book is used as supporting documentation only.

And very easy to become paranoid, thinking that everything is done to prevent an individual to obtain an extension of stay 'by himself', without the use of an agent.

It is possible of course, I have seen it. But patience is of the essence.

With the use of an 'Agent', those transfers not clearly indicated as 'International', at least on a bank book, will be accepted as 'International', through he use of an Agent, and a certified bank statement.

But nevertheless, going to the bank and requesting a 'certified statement' showing that all transfers were international, should, in principle, satisfy the scrutiny of most IO.

Just spoke with BB. She said they sometimes use Kasikorn for transfers and your BB statement wont show International Transfer. She said go to Kbank and fill out a form (couldn't understand which form she said). I always select transferring for long term stay in Thailand. From the USA. 

Need to contact Wise and get statements to bring to Kbank for proof. My BB statement was missing the "International Transfer" for some months.

Edited by mr336

23 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have not be asked for confirmation letter at CW as long as present passbook and 1 year account statement and the normal account ownership letter.  There seem to be various options.

What is the 1 year account statement? Is that something that can be done at the Bangkok Bank at CW along with account ownership letter? Would be nice to do that the morning of visa renewal at CW.  If the "Confirmation Letter" is not required that saves a trip to Silom branch. In addition to those documents, the CW IO requires the credit advice for each 12 months prior, correct?

19 minutes ago, BKK57 said:

What is the 1 year account statement? Is that something that can be done at the Bangkok Bank at CW along with account ownership letter? Would be nice to do that the morning of visa renewal at CW.  If the "Confirmation Letter" is not required that saves a trip to Silom branch. In addition to those documents, the CW IO requires the credit advice for each 12 months prior, correct?

One year statement of account can only be provided by Bangkok Bank Hqs so you ask at your local branch for 12 month statement about 2 weeks  before needing as it can take a week to obtain.  It will be a computer print out of every transaction and can also be used when passbook in not kept up to date.   Still get the account ownership letter at CW Bangkok Bank on day of extension.   I have never been asked for any credit advice but all deposits have been marked as international on statement of account and passbook.  

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

One year statement of account can only be provided by Bangkok Bank Hqs so you ask at your local branch for 12 month statement about 2 weeks  before needing as it can take a week to obtain.  It will be a computer print out of every transaction and can also be used when passbook in not kept up to date.   Still get the account ownership letter at CW Bangkok Bank on day of extension.   I have never been asked for any credit advice but all deposits have been marked as international on statement of account and passbook.  

Aside from the account ownership letter I get the morning of renewal at CW, I present my Bank Book, a copy of my bank book I printed at home, and the 12 credit advices.  I don't ever really update the bank book except on the morning of renewal I do make one transfer and print the last page of the bank book at the print shop at CW to show current balance. This is why the credit advices by email are nice, no need to get that 1 year account statement, that yes, takes a week or so to get, and costs 100 baht and two trips to the bank.  The IO just wants to see 1 international transfer each month for the last 12 months that is 65,000 baht or more and that is what the 12 credit advices show very clearly even when I don't update the bank book.  The "Confirmation Letter" simply gives the total for the last 12 months of credit advices I bring with me to the bank to get the letter. I think I may try skipping the "Confirmation Letter" next time and see what happens, since apparently you don't need it.

Last month I transferred money from the US to my Kasikorn account using Wise to buy a condo.  I therefore needed a bank letter saying the money had come from abroad.  Kasilorn said it could not issue the letter as the money had been transferred to my account with them by Bangkok Bank.  They gave me the rference code numbers (there were several transfers due to the 2 million limit) and told me to go to the local Bangkok Bank branch.  There they printed off a sheet for each transfer but said I could only get the letter from their head office.  At the head office, there is a section dedicated to producing such letters and no queu, so it was fairly quick - everything checked by three people, needing to get the boss to sign etc.

My conclusionis that if I were to have to prove incoming funds I would build in some time for a hiccup of this type.

• Like 1

I recently decided to change from the lump sum to monthly deposits for my next extension. 

I transfer money from Australia via Wise to my Kasikorn account.

Below is a copy of the entry in last months statement showing the deposit as "Trade Finance Deposit"  - I have no idea what that means.

Date              Time            Descriptions                Withdrawal / Deposit                     Outstanding Balance              Channel                       Details

25-09-21        14:12    Trade Finance Deposit                 72,338.91                                          x,xxx,715.09                   Trade Finance              Ref Code GPS00008

• Like 1

i have never had any problems with Wise Transfers. sometime they are taking longer then you expect but Wise is always on time and update you on the status.. For was far as i can tell privately and business wise we never have had any problems at all. they look well after the needed documentations as well when additional information is needed. I do recommend Wise based on the experiences I have had until today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Twod0gs said:

I recently decided to change from the lump sum to monthly deposits for my next extension. 

I transfer money from Australia via Wise to my Kasikorn account.

Below is a copy of the entry in last months statement showing the deposit as "Trade Finance Deposit"  - I have no idea what that means.

Date              Time            Descriptions                Withdrawal / Deposit                     Outstanding Balance              Channel                       Details

25-09-21        14:12    Trade Finance Deposit                 72,338.91                                          x,xxx,715.09                   Trade Finance              Ref Code GPS00008

It means they aren't shown as International

21 hours ago, Henryford said:

I still don't understand this. I thought the Wise system worked as follows. You transfer the money to them, in my case GBP in the UK. They then instructed their Thai bank to send you the money in baht to your thai bank. The money then goes into your thai bank. How can that happen instantaneously?

Sometimes I get a text message from my Kasikorn saying that I have received money when the Wise app is still sending it. You know those 2 bank looking buildings things where its showing the transfer. Money in the Kasikorn before the app says its transferred, now thats a good service. ????