Wise transfers not being processed as International (Specifically Bangkok Bank)

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

As mentioned in an earlier post year back I had my Wise acct tagged to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank before Wise came out with the Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer.   And all my transfers to my Bangkok Bank acct, regardless of reason for transfer I used,  would get FTT coding as Bangkok Bank was always used as the partner bank along with my transfer always arriving around 2pm in the afternoon.

My wife who also has a Wise acct but never had her acct tagged like I did.  However, whenever she did a transfer (which are few and far in-between) and selected Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer her transfer would always receive FTT coding.  So, at least for her without no tagging by just using the Long Stay Thailand  reason she would get FTT coding. 

She don't plan to do another transfer anytime soon (last transfer was around 6 months ago) so I can't say if a current day transfer using the Long Stay Thailand reason will still get her FTT coding to her Bangkok Bank acct.  I just know I'm not getting now....but at least my last two transfers occurred within seconds versus a half day to next business day like before.  

a number of people on facebook have the same issue, so it's definitely not working, tagged or not

• Like 1

I think that if BBK is no longer a Wise partner bank, there is nothing Wise can do to guarantee that a transfer to Thailand to to a BBK account will now be tagged as FFT because it would have to go through another Thai bank and forwarded to BBK as a domestic transfer. Wise seems to be saying, however, that if it is a transfer using SWIFT (more expensive) than it will end being coded by BBK as FFT. I really hope this sorts out in the next few days.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lexilis said:

I think that if BBK is no longer a Wise partner bank, there is nothing Wise can do to guarantee that a transfer to Thailand to to a BBK account will now be tagged as FFT because it would have to go through another Thai bank and forwarded to BBK as a domestic transfer. Wise seems to be saying, however, that if it is a transfer using SWIFT (more expensive) than it will end being coded by BBK as FFT. I really hope this sorts out in the next few days.

That's an assumption on your part.   I expect they are still a partner bank....Yea, that's also assumption on my part but just an hour ago  jmd8800 posted an email he got from Wise saying they had retagged his Wise acct to use Bangkok Bank.  Wise wouldn't have said that if Bangkok Bank was no longer a partner  bank.

• Like 1

Just now, norbra said:

Their "Solution" to most questions is to open a BBL account

Which is what I have, and several others. But the problem is still here at the moment despite emails from Wise who say simply click 'long stay' option and the transfer will be through Bkk Bank as an FTT.

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

Their "Solution" to most questions is to open a BBL account

That, along with the "long stay" reason, has been the best solution to the foreign transfer designation for a couple of years now, but something is broken with the system and it's not happening.

FWIW I think a change at Wise has stopped the automatic routing via BBL when "long stay" is selected, perhaps not aware of the effect the change is going to have on one subset of users.  Once enough complaints are received and someone remembers why the process was set up as it was, I think they'll revert.

There still won't be a 100% guarantee, but all in all it's been plain sailing until now.

• Like 1

Pib: You said: "That's an assumption on your part.   I expect they are still a partner bank....Yea, that's also assumption on my part but just an hour ago  jmd8800 posted an email he got from Wise saying they had retagged his Wise acct to use Bangkok Bank.  Wise wouldn't have said that if Bangkok Bank was no longer a partner  bank."

I did not assume. I stated it as a conditional by saying: IF BBK is no longer a Wise Thai partner bank"... Then that would explain what seems to be happening. I just sent an e-mail to Wise asking directly if BBK is still one of their partner banks in Thailand. They may not answer that but we will see.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bbko said:

Is the discussion there limited to Bangkok Bank/Wise problems or do they forgo being pedantic and allow other banks to be mentioned?

the thing is, on this thread people keep confusing things going off topic, would be better  if they started a new thread about Kasikorn. They don't seem to understand what's going on, you and that Nor bloke

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

what we want is WISE to make a SWIFT transfer to Bangkok or other Thai bank. It doesn't make sense, does it?. 

No it does not make sense because WISE does not do Swift transfers to deliver money to customers.   They set up business to avoid that.  

• Like 1

Everybody needs to have a backup banking system including backup banks and backup transfer systems.  Relying on one  is not wise specially when there are several at very low costs, often even beating WISE on delivering more money for a specific amount transferred.

Don't waste your time blah blah about WISE, go set up an alternative.

21 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

No it does not make sense because WISE does not do Swift transfers to deliver money to customers.   They set up business to avoid that.  

Wise does use the SWIFT network for sending money to South Africa, Japan, and US dollars to countries around the world. But Wise works to reduce those costly intermediary fees. And makes it clear when there may be fees to you. Upfront.Apr 27, 2561 BE

4 minutes ago, Madgee said:

Wise does use the SWIFT network for sending money to South Africa, Japan, and US dollars to countries around the world. But Wise works to reduce those costly intermediary fees. And makes it clear when there may be fees to you. Upfront.Apr 27, 2561 BE

Okay, I have  not looked into their worldwide systems, only the one for Thailand on a limited basis.  Perhaps you can open another thread for world wide information if you think anybody cares.

10 hours ago, lexilis said:

Pib: You said: "That's an assumption on your part.   I expect they are still a partner bank....Yea, that's also assumption on my part but just an hour ago  jmd8800 posted an email he got from Wise saying they had retagged his Wise acct to use Bangkok Bank.  Wise wouldn't have said that if Bangkok Bank was no longer a partner  bank."

I did not assume. I stated it as a conditional by saying: IF BBK is no longer a Wise Thai partner bank"... Then that would explain what seems to be happening. I just sent an e-mail to Wise asking directly if BBK is still one of their partner banks in Thailand. They may not answer that but we will see.  

OK...got it...I misread your post.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Everybody needs to have a backup banking system including backup banks and backup transfer systems.  Relying on one  is not wise specially when there are several at very low costs, often even beating WISE on delivering more money for a specific amount transferred.

Don't waste your time blah blah about WISE, go set up an alternative.

Some examples please.

• Thanks 1

Okay, I have  not looked into their worldwide systems, only the one for Thailand on a limited basis.  Perhaps you can open another thread for world wide information if you think anybody cares.

I care.  I just sent a test SWIFT transfer to my Bangkok Bank from my "borderless" account.  Will take 4 - 5 days to receive it.  Sent $100, cost $2.90 fixed plus $0.51 based on the amount.  Other services along the way will probably take out fees including Bangkok Bank.  Will report how that ended up.

I also will probably send a free SWIFT transfer from my Fidelity brokerage to see if that ends up FTT.

Edited by mojaco
More info.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the thing is, on this thread people keep confusing things going off topic, would be better  if they started a new thread about Kasikorn. They don't seem to understand what's going on, you and that Nor bloke

Perhaps you can open another thread

This thread introduced a problem affecting many of us, specifically, "Wise transfers not being processed as International".  That is the topic.  The thread title captured my immediate attention because I want my fund transfers into Thailand to reflect the ultimate reality when they post to my account.  That shouldn't be too much to ask.  God knows my particular Immigration Office has been inventing ways to make my relationship with them super challenging in recent years.  I don't need any additional aggravation.  I personally want to know all the pertinent facts regarding the very confusing situation introduced by this thread.  If I am experiencing the problem with Bangkok Bank, I want to know what other options I have.  If I am experiencing the problem with Wise ACH transfers, I want to know what other options I have.  I find that this topic is not being waylaid by discussions that branch out to consider other banks, and other transfer systems.  Such discussions help clarify the problem and its possible solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The thread is about Wise transfers not being shown as International when it hits the receiving bank, be it Bangkok, Kasikorn or SCB. So no, we do not need another thread specifically about Kasikorn.

Sorry Pablo, we posted at the same time. 

Nope, read the opening post, specifically mentions Bangkok Bank.

Maybe a moderator can include Bangkok Bank in the title as it's confusing some people @Crossy

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nope, read the opening post, specifically mentions Bangkok Bank.

Maybe a moderator can include Bangkok Bank in the title as it's confusing some people @Crossy

To avoid confusion and arguments topic title amended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those that use and need this method (Wise, Bangkok Bank account, reason for transfer Long term stay) and need it for Immigration, I recommend you send a small amount, it won't work properly (not classed as International), then complain to Wise.

The more that complain the quicker it will be fixed, if possible

Just now, konaboy said:

will that work with IO as a foreign transfer? Do I need a letter from BK Bank that it was international?

I used wise!

You first should get the PDF download from Wise - that will show path and in many cases will be all that immigration requires.  A further insurance would be credit advice from the bank making payment into your Bangkok Bank account (which will be listed on PDF).

• Thanks 1