What can I do?

JWRC

I am in Kanchanaburi, my other half is in hospital in Chiang Mai, and has had extensive surgery for cancer. This was done in Chiang Mai as the daughter and son could help as we are both getting older and I would be limited with the care I could provide. I am not Thai, my partner is.

There is something not right about what,s going on at the hospital up there and they are not answering my questions. So now to get to the point. I want to drive up to Chiang Mai and see for myself what is happening. I can't quite work out what I can do and what I can't do. with regard to covid restrictions.  I am unvaccinated on an OA visa for over 2 decades.

Is it ok to drive to Chiang Mai from Kanchanaburi and would I need to quarantine when I get there? and then of course what am I up against coming back. If anyone can advise it would be a big help.

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

You would probably be ok driving up there as not many checkpoints being reported. If you want to cover yourself for the journey you can get an official letter from your village headman stating the reason for your trip. Upon return you might have to stay at home in isolation for a time but again your village headman can advise you on this. Before you go get some food in as you are not supposed to leave home during the period of home isolation. 

Next you can book a hotel near your wifes hospital and get it from them if there are any quarantine  requirements. Usually not but know before you go since some provinces are stricter than others.

You will also need to check about flooded roads if you plan on driving up soon since a lot of central areas are experiencing flooding

You can do a test on arrival or do one beforehand and travel to CM if flying. Doubt car is an issue with a similar test too, as long it is recent they are usually happy already.

I'd just get something written in Thai language that briefly explains your situation, usually the Thais bend rules for those kind of family things.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

would have maybe got a hospital letter then…… supporting my pink ID ………there’s enough levels of petty bureacracy here, without introducing another one…. wont be anymore compliant with the backwardness than I need to be….. “headman” bs a step to far for me…….

3 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

would have maybe got a hospital letter then…… supporting my pink ID ………there’s enough levels of petty bureacracy here, without introducing another one…. wont be anymore compliant with the backwardness than I need to be….. “headman” bs a step to far for me…….

Chiang Mai isn't that backwards in terms of that, except the immigration there. They are quite easy going, many people fly up there recently without any issues, they just did the antigen tests on arrival and done 10 mins later.

• Like 1

@JWRC

Hope you find all is well and can take the trouble&strive home soon.

in case you need a second opinion, it maybe worthwhile to have a conversation at Sripat Medical center. In my case, I had a very good experience with the Surgeon referred, and, in case of a future issue, they would be my first place to turn to.

Good Luck

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“headman” bs a step to far for me…….

from what I have seen however, the Pu Yai Baan is the person ruling the local quarantine requirements.

Therefore, getting a statement of his/hers could be on the list of docs to present.

Consider the relative bs vs BS;

i.e. getting a one page letter vs  driving back 600 K’s to get a one page letter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

anybody read the “get hospital letter” part of my post.thats “helpful”.

but sure just ignore that…and the “feudal headman” observation… over your heads …..I get it…..you’d rather colaborate with the “ headman ruling” bs …then it just gets worse….actually defending the idea of an uneducated peasant type controlling quarantine.….and therefore local populations……delegated below police & medical levels…..I know, TIT….

yet another reason, never mind being “ 600kms” away from your essential medical care, never to live in your wifes remote backward farming village…how is that living safely the idyllic tropical dream?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

anybody read the “get hospital letter” part of my post.thats “helpful”.

but sure just ignore that…and the “feudal headman” observation… over your heads …..I get it…..you’d rather colaborate with the “ headman ruling” bs …then it just gets worse….actually defending the idea of an uneducated peasant type controlling quarantine.….and therefore local populations……delegated below police & medical levels…..I know, TIT….

yet another reason, never mind being “ 600kms” away from your essential medical care, never to live in your wifes remote backward farming village…how is that living safely the idyllic tropical dream?

stop taking drugs

• Sad 1

REQUIRED!  There are lots of Thai clinic doing this right now. I did it just a few weeks ago from Pattaya and drove up North pretty close CM for a family funeral.

Fine that clinic they are giving " Antigen " test I don't think I got the spelling right. The cost was 590 baht, within 15 minutes of the quick swab up my nose the result came back negative with a letter and the the tester attached and off we went with our 8 hour drive there was not one road inspection nor were we even asked up in the village for the test results.  This is all you need for travel it isn't any good for out of the country!

Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“an official letter from your village headman “…. really…..feudal medieval nonsense here again …. in 21st century…..and supported by an expat…..thought my opinion of the daft “culture..and servile expat compliance, couldnt get any lower……

The OP wanted some pragmatic advice , which he got , yet you felt the need to be precious .

No doubt if you are in a similar position , you will stick fast to your principles and feel heroic whatever the consequencies !

I note that the only person who has any sympathy with your view is in fact you , says everything really.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

once again my main point in this case is missed, i.e. HOSPITAL LETTER ( Not Headman Letter) is way more “ practical” ( see below).

btw any idea how ABSURD, to an educated normal western mind, who has not Gone Native Here, is the statement “ get letter from village headman”. clearly not….

and how much sway does a “ headman” letter have 300 kms away if  journey challenged by Authorities…. <deleted> all I suspect …. versus a universally accepted Hospital Letter……