Thailand Nov 1 reopening to go ahead providing COVID-19 situation remains stable

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Following the reopening, the government expects to earn 1.5 trillion baht from tourism in 2022, Mr Thanakorn said. 

Domestic tourists will account for 850 million baht with Thais expected to make 160 million trips next year.

Meanwhile, the government expects 15 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand in 2022, generating 650 billion baht in revenue.

Mr Thanakorn said the 1.5 trillion baht revenue target is approximately half the amount the country's tourism industry earned in 2019 before the start of the pandemic. 

Mr Thanakorn also gave an update on the Phuket Sandbox, which has been hailed a success.

Pure speculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

AQ is confiend to hotel room, so you CAN"T go out its not a Sandbox where as you can go out during the day, thats supposed to be November plans.

October is just a filler, November will be 5 Sandboxs types

So, November, I can leave my Chiang Mai hotel at 7am and return at midnight if I want?

...or am I stuck in a hotel still...in which case, what is the context of Chiang Mai "sandbox"?

3 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

What does reopen mean?

I wonder if bars will be allowed to open and sell alcohol, and they drop the curfew hours in these destinations on Nov 1st?

Also will they drop the ridiculous quarantine and allow fully vaccinated and tested tourists to travel freely from day one?

4 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

What does reopen mean?

Exactly. It means whatever they declare it to be 2 days before 1st November. I have yet to read anything on "no quarantine", no stupidly expensive PCR tests (we sell you the cheaper ones but don't use them - they're not reliable), no busload trips with back to the hotel in the evening (and so forth).

14 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Apparently, this is how other countries feel about coming to Thailand. I don't blame them. I don't think many will come with this kind of publicity.

"Thailand: the country with the most complicated entry restrictions on Earth"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/thailand-country-complicated-entry-restrictions-earth/?fbclid=IwAR22GmeiylK5okbam0Te2yJvNBTXg5wjE4PrCTE4qTPTXbKmyxPFzPLuDFE

Ha, ha, ha, Beautiful(l) Isn't?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

COE requirements means 99% of people will just go somewhere else that has no hassle.

Exactly- when the COE requirement first came in it was an uncertain fraught and stressful process. While that might have improved ,you can imagine how prepared Thailand would be to cope with any significant uptick in demand based on their appalling record. Travellers of a normal tourist nature simply won’t live with that risk and faffing.

• Like 2

A post with a link and content from the Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEANNOW.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

53 minutes ago, DLock said:

So, November, I can leave my Chiang Mai hotel at 7am and return at midnight if I want?

...or am I stuck in a hotel still...in which case, what is the context of Chiang Mai "sandbox"?

I believe that by November 1st or 15th, the 5 other Sandboxes will be ready, BUT it’s not announced or Royal Gazetted yet

So my plan is wait until November, for the NEW 5 sandboxes are announced, and then enter via that route, I’ve already done Sandbox in Phuket and even though 14 days was too long, 7 days will be fine as long as we’re allowed out using same principle as Phuket sandbox.

The areas are

1. Bangkok,

2. Chiang Mai (Muang. Mae Rim, Mae Taeng and Doi Tao districts),

3. Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin district),

4. Phetchaburi (Cha-am district) and

5.Chon Buri (Pattaya, Bang Lamung and Sattahip districts), government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said on Saturday. 

Edited just now by bolt

4 minutes ago, GeilGeilertzen said:

The short answer to this is that it’s 7.8 billion other “farang”,  and that Thailand is a country that farming is very well suited for.  

In the big pictures, who cares about a few hundred thousand foreigners that bought some apartments stuffed on top of each other in a cement block on a few rai.   

No one should because it’s not important at all.  

Let it be like it is no with freehold in these cement blocks and let thais have full control over what’s the real land and that is worth something.  They are patriotic just like most others are and should be about their country. 

Pity that 99.9999999% of wealth in Thailand is owned by very few.

The most unequal society in SE Asia.

Think you will find a large percentage of the population despise the HiSo Bangkok elite.

Doubt an Isaan rice farmer is interested in the legal technicalities of condo development but more about a decent price for his rice crop 

Think your mistaking Thailand for a first world democracy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So if a "cluster" appears 10/30 or 10/31 then no opening 11/1?!!  That is exactly what the article says. Who the $&@" would book a ticket?

Final meeting/decision made on the 26th is what Pattaya news states.  But again, the PM holds all the power, so he can change rules anytime

7 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Pity that 99.9999999% of wealth in Thailand is owned by very few.

The most unequal society in SE Asia.

Think you will find a large percentage of the population despise the HiSo Bangkok elite.

Doubt an Isaan rice farmer is interested in the legal technicalities of condo development but more about a decent price for his rice crop 

Think your mistaking Thailand for a first world democracy.

I lived in Thailand now for way over 20 years and are in my second marriage, have 2 kids and a third one on the way. We have employed Thai staff for over 20 years.  I don’t know about you and what you know that I don’t know about Thailand. 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I wonder if bars will be allowed to open and sell alcohol, and they drop the curfew hours in these destinations on Nov 1st?

Also will they drop the ridiculous quarantine and allow fully vaccinated and tested tourists to travel freely from day one?

Apparently, covid loves people drinking alcohol and late evening hours. Have no fear! Thai govt knows what they're doing!