Thailand Nov 1 reopening to go ahead providing COVID-19 situation remains stable

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, Pjeffries said:

.. stop the unreliable pcr testing ( what cycle threshold is thailand using btw) and the problem goes away.

Your question about cycle rate is very important and not being talked about AT ALL by Thai authorities (as far as I can tell). 

One clue that they are fudging with the cycle rate is the percentage of positive results of tests done during the Phuket sandbox. According to the number of tests reported and the number that were positive, they are reporting 0.17% positive. That includes true positives (infected) and false positive (test error which is part of every test of this kind). Per the published studies, the mean false positive error rate for Covid PCR tests is 0.6%. The low end of reported false positiver errors for that test is 0.4%. Even if there were absolutely no infected persons showing up in Phuket in the last four months and all their positive results were false, that doesn't fit with the known error rate. Given the number of travelers reported to have gone to Phuket during the sandbox and each getting three tests, 440 of them would have been positive just from the false positive error rate (even going with the low end of 0.4%) if they were running the cycle rate within the normal range. However, they only had 130. See article below...

https://www.icd10monitor.com/false-positives-in-pcr-tests-for-covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

If that's the deal they need to quickly organize several hotel into the ASQ model in Chiang Mai.

Plus, make a policy:

- Will there be authorized semi-commercial flights direct into Chiang Mai (from Singapore would be practical for some folks).

- Will there be a policy whereby arrivals go through COE arrival procedures on arrival at Swampy including rapid test, and then with no contact board standard/semi-commercial flights to Chiang Mai? And will there be zero quarantine on arrival in Chiang Mai? Or 7 days in ASQ hotel or 7 days home quarantine? 

Hopefully more details/announcements soon.

Phuket is not a success, as widely reported many are returning expats and therefore not tourists.

More meaningless mumbo jumbo.

If quarantine is part of the deal real tourists will go where there isn't any and will enjoy a good night.

Where as here it's curfew and no bars are open.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cape said:

"Open" means quarantine is reduced to 7 days and you can wander round the restricted area. So it's Phuket Sandbox extended to these other areas.

It won't achieve much. The difference in tourist numbers will come when the COE (Certificate of Entry) requirement is removed.

COE covers quarantine and insurance - no tourist in prepared to forego a week of their holiday allowance and cough up hundreds of dollars for insurance against a non-existent risk.

Incidentally, ou pay the hotel in advance and even if COE is dropped, it isn't refunded, you've lost that money, maybe €2,000. I have checked this..

If CoE isn’t approved or you fail the PCR test the SHA+ is refunded. It is specifically stated on the SHA+ reservation. 

Who did you check this with?

• Thanks 1

So if things start, tourists arrive, then situation becomes unstable, what would change for people that already arrived in country, finished any SHA, were vaccinated, etc?  Maybe some things may shut down that had opened, maybe a stricter curfew, start visa limits similar to what they did a year ago when tourists had to leave?  Man that would be a horrible and messy reversal 

17 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Apparently, covid loves people drinking alcohol and late evening hours. Have no fear! Thai govt knows what they're doing! 

Yes, it created many thousands of cases of Covid in the Bangkok nightlife scene... heaven knows how many lives could be attributed to it. 

1 hour ago, Rhacsyn said:

If you followed the story of "that lady in Phuket" to fruition, you would know that she was comfortable with the ASQ hotel she was allocated and had no real issues as she was coming long term. She flew with Emirates airline and their Covid insurance covered her ASQ costs (SHA+ hotel costs were reimbursed in full as per policy). Once this was known, it was droppped from the "news". Her name was Stefanie and she was from Germany fyi.

I did not see that. I have heard that emirates has some special insurance but I won't be flying with them.  But thanks for the update.  But now what if one gets dragged off to a hospital for quarantine?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

Yep. I commented on another article. My daughter teaches English to Chinese kids online. The companies that that provide this service, are now having to shut down. Chinese don't want any more foreign influence, and are prohibiting foreign teachers. 

My neighbors had good teaching jobs lined up in China and was supposed to leave July but we’re told by the school not to bother to come.  Not wanted. Not needed.  

• Sad 1

Yea come to Thailand for your 'holiday' where to have to quarantine for 7 days, wear a muzzle 24x7 and get looked at like you're a child murderer if it doesn't fully cover your nose, and cannot enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with a meal??

Seriously, please tell me this is a joke?? Only a complete mug would come here.

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

I did not see that. I have heard that emirates has some special insurance but I won't be flying with them.  But thanks for the update.  But now what if one gets dragged off to a hospital for quarantine?

they(you) will have COVID insurance to cover the costs.

move on with your life 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bolt said:

I would say this flier is for October ONLY

November should be different, whereas the tourists are allowed out of approved (SHA+-AQ-ASQ-ALQ) hotel, but must return each night to scan – check back in with QR code, its similar to Sandbox

So when i arrive back i can go home and spend time with my wife and kid in my own home. We can hang out and all good so long as i sleep somewhere else??? Can anyone provide any logic behind that other than hotel revenue? LOL

2 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

So when i arrive back i can go home and spend time with my wife and kid in my own home. We can hang out and all good so long as i sleep somewhere else??? Can anyone provide any logic behind that other than hotel revenue? LOL

Don't mention Logic, but remember

As part of the COE getting approved, you MUST agree to follow the rules laid out, such as NOT hanging out too close with anyone for at least the quarantine period.

Why don’t people get that

When you arrive you have to follow the guidelines until you have been cleared, when you agree to follow the guidelines follow them, don’t question how or who will control this, you have agreed so you will control yourself, and if you can’t control yourself then you shouldn’t be going.

So much moaning and groaning. I get it, the rules don't make sense but many posting here must have been living in a bubble if you haven't been exposed to living with BS rules and laws. JHchrist get over it. Covid has scrambled people's brains the world over. Expats with family ties welcome these changes coming Nov 1. I for one am optimistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Yea come to Thailand for your 'holiday' where to have to quarantine for 7 days, wear a muzzle 24x7 and get looked at like you're a child murderer if it doesn't fully cover your nose, and cannot enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with a meal??

Seriously, please tell me this is a joke?? Only a complete mug would come here.

Oh dear how awful,,,, the suffering and discomfiture.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh dear how awful,,,, the suffering and discomfiture.

What's your point?? Would you fly half way around the world for a 'holiday' where you have to quarantine and cannot have a beer or a glass or wine?? Again, what's your point??

Still, I'm sure this regime will be happy that they do have some support out there.

Edited by Johnny Mac

35 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Why would anyone jump through any amount of tedious time consuming administration hoops, queue at airports for up to 5 hours, risk being hospitalised for failing a test, then be "controlled" for 7 days at their destination and still have the possibility that all entertainment venues be shutdown again overnight.

That's what you call getting on with your life and a stress free "holiday".

I'll get on with my life OK and give it a miss thanks.

Only a complete moron would do it, but they are out there.