Thailand Nov 1 reopening to go ahead providing COVID-19 situation remains stable

Jonathan Fairfield

11 minutes ago, cape said:

"Open" means quarantine is reduced to 7 days and you can wander round the restricted area. So it's Phuket Sandbox extended to these other areas.

It won't achieve much. The difference in tourist numbers will come when the COE (Certificate of Entry) requirement is removed.

COE covers quarantine and insurance - no tourist in prepared to forego a week of their holiday allowance and cough up hundreds of dollars for insurance against a non-existent risk.

Incidentally, ou pay the hotel in advance and even if COE is dropped, it isn't refunded, you've lost that money, maybe €2,000. I have checked this..

Sorry COE is Permission to enter, nothing to do with quarantine

you need an COE to enter Phuket sandbox.

COE will remain

• Like 2

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I must be the only one looking forward to a week in Pattaya when I return.

I’m with you and waiting for middle to end of November, by then the Pattaya sandbox or whatever they call that should be ready

·         COE

·         Valid Visa

·         COVID insurance

·         SHA+ Hotel

·         2 PCR tests paid for in advance

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

As time goes on more and more areas of Thailand will be authorized to offer the Sandbox SHA stay. It will be good for the expats who work on rotation and can stay at a hotel close to home. I know some are die hard opponents of the SHA system, but it just means you have a limited supply of hotels and may have to pay more for SHA stay. What really baffles me are the tourists who bring their infant children here.

SHA+ Hotels are as cheap as 500 Baht /night. If you have your own home on Phuket, or a Mia Chao, you don't even need to sleep threre. It's all rubbish and smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Deli

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

SHA+ Hotels are as cheap as 500 Baht /night. If you have your own home on Phuket, or a Mia Chao, you don't even need to sleep threre. It's all rubbish and smoke and mirrors.

not entirely true

SHA+ proves that the staff gave been vaccinated, so it shows that there’s a level of control, instead of letting arrivals stay anywhere they want.

Note.

Before you are issued with an COE you must agree to follow the rules, and part of the rules are to use SHA+ business only during your stay for the 1st 7 days.

Whether you decide NOT to follow the rules is UP 2 U

38 minutes ago, bolt said:

I’m with you and waiting for middle to end of November, by then the Pattaya sandbox or whatever they call that should be ready

·         COE

·         Valid Visa

·         COVID insurance

·         SHA+ Hotel

·         2 PCR tests paid for in advance

And, the 40K/400K Ins for visa duration.

3 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

How long does it take to get the COE in London? Anyone done it? 

I've had 3 COE'S NOT from London, but another place and it took average 3-4 days. so plan 7-10 working days and you should be fine, 

they will speed up your application depending on you actual travel dates.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

But where from.

Agree with the original poster. There are many flights and i have also flown to Thailand three times in the last twelve months, with a fourth pending on 1st November. Two from London and two from Dubai for me.

7 hours ago, Fujionrye said:

What does reopen mean?

Yes, precisely.  Almost certainly no pubs or bars, maybe alcohol allowed in restaurants, which actually makes a mockery of not allowing the pubs and bars to open.  But this is Thailand and this puritanical government seems dead set on completely crushing the pub and bar industry, thereby causing even more suffering to many of the population, who are already poor beyond belief.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The proposed reopening of Bangkok and other major tourist destinations in Thailand will go ahead on November 1, providing the COVID-19 situation does not worsen.

Interesting choice of words here 'does not worsen'.

I wonder if they're referring to the COVID situation here in Thailand or in the places where people are flying in from.

What will they do if say the number of COVID cases in Europe doubles in October and then doubles again in November.

Will the proceed as normal?

1 hour ago, cape said:

"Open" means quarantine is reduced to 7 days and you can wander round the restricted area. So it's Phuket Sandbox extended to these other areas.

It won't achieve much. The difference in tourist numbers will come when the COE (Certificate of Entry) requirement is removed.

COE covers quarantine and insurance - no tourist in prepared to forego a week of their holiday allowance and cough up hundreds of dollars for insurance against a non-existent risk.

Incidentally, ou pay the hotel in advance and even if COE is dropped, it isn't refunded, you've lost that money, maybe €2,000. I have checked this..

Yup. Until all restrictions are lifted no large numbers of tourists will visit.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know how these new 'Sandboxes' are going to work and what they will achieve.  Preventing/Monitoring travel in and out of the box is relatively easy with an island but how do you do that in Bangkok for example?  They may be able to track foreigners through their phones but what's the point of that if those foreigners can mix with Thai people who will surely travel in and out?

Granted, they will no doubt have to check in with the hotel daily but what's to stop a 'tourist' leaving their phone in their room and travelling outside the Sandbox for the day?

These measures may bring back some of the tourists but there's a hell of a lot of hotels to fill. To be able to open and provide a decent level of service, hotels will have to bring back most of their staff - how will that make a profit if the occupancy rate is 25%.  I suspect a lot of hotels will simply stay shut.

Its about time they stopped mucking around and opened up to vaccinated tourists without quarantine or stay closed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bolt said:

How can the costs be minimum 15,000 thb

That’s not correct, I’ve found a booking for 7 days on AGODA quarantine package for 7,800

This is a mess as usual

image.png.003a5e74ad5f6da2616d2e5617b08dbe.png

Don’t know the details, but does it state government approved hotel ASQ or SHA+ ? 

"Mr Thanakorn also gave an update on the Phuket Sandbox, which has been hailed a success.".

Using what metric to measure this "success"? A Smoke and Mirror display, backed up with a vinyl chart and stock photos? A La-La-Land Nonsense Generator-Tabulator? A TAT Distortion Device with the usual Reality Impairment Module?