Whats your neighbours and privacy like?

georgegeorgia

21 hours ago, bbabythai said:

neighbours are a nightmare here. theres an old lady near our back yard area that burns charcoal everyday to cook. She doesnt have gas cooker. it comes in our windows everyday. 

another neighbour sometimes burns plastic. all neighbours have to smell this and would you believe its at 4am in the morning. 

lucky for us we are renting...

I like living here in Issan mostly but I could do without the smell of burning plastic and rubber inner tube the clowns use to light their fires, cooking or otherwise.

That is my major bug-bear. The chooks and dogs have nothing on stinking smoke when tring to enjoy a quiet meal at home.

Just stupid.

Flapping roof iron on the neighbours chook sheds and houses ( most of them) also gets my goat but I am not going to fix their roofs for them. I just hope the wind is blowing in their direction. Bit of luck it will knock someones elses block off and not one of my family.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

At the moment i live in a big city here in Australia and im laying  here on my bed and i can see the whole apartment building opposite even their TV Shows they are watching and they can see me .

I dont like that,along with the guy next door bouncing his ball against the wall

as it seems that you are good to choose your life, you should move to Nigeria, you will love it !

• Haha 1

Britman and Damrong... give you some good pics and possies to lay your swag. 

I live Phuket. West Coast. 4 bed villa. Small estate in Naithon area. Quiet as anywhere I've ever lived ... the only places I've ever experienced more quiet, natural sounds, and tranquility has been in extremely remote places on the planet. Butterflies, birds, green and so peaceful.

I guess it depend son what one wants. As a 60 odd retiree I didn't want to live and walk out my door to road noise-congestion and have people living right on top of or next door (I'm lucky enough to be able to chose where I want to be).

If you've got a few million AUD I can direct you to a large really (western spec German developer) sick 4 bed uninterrupted sea view villa/duplex in exclusive estate in my area.

No barking dogs here, no stinky burning-off of unspeakable toxic stuff by the locals as is want to happen all over LOS, half the year the few other villas here are empty and only used as holiday villas so the run of the estate and common gardens is always there outside my gate (the dogs love the place lol), large blocks with lots of space between, no louts or crazy mongers here thank the gods.

If you want peace and quiet you gotta pay for it.

It's no guarantee of course, but if you buy in a high-end estate (hi-so Thai's and falangs) you'll have a far better chance of quiet, as folks in these places tend to be more mindful.

Pattaya is not a place I would look to for real quiet and space. Britman's oasis in the north west area is a good example of what can be found. Phuket too has tonnes of very quiet areas with gorgeous houses/villas.

If you want to party then I guess Pattaya is a kind of utopia. If ya like a garden, pets, chilling very nice ocean and beaches, an airport hub that's gets you almost anywhere in the world direct, and the idea of tending and growing things, room to move, your own private pool it's doable in Phuket. It will cost you more than say the north or north west bush regions. For me getting into the sea is a necessity, and beach-life suits me to a tee, but for you? 

There are plenty of locations to chose from all over LOS. I'd sit n make a list of the things you 'want' and then another with a 'musts' list, and then another with 'it would be nice to haves' and see what you come up with.

Compare that list as a budget estimate to your monthly income/budget. This way you'll see what can be done and what can't. You can rent a single bed condo with a pool in quite decent condition for 7K BHT easy here but it will be near a road, small by Aussie standards, subject to the voyeurism that you already experience with less than exclusive features ... but quite comfy as far as bed n bathroom basic cable tv etc is concerned. But if you wanna pay 40 or 60K BHT and up you can get a lovely quiet place within a small gated low rise condo complex. 

On 10/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Tell me about your home ,is it private ,secure and peaceful?

where in Asia are you ?

My home is very private, even that it's very open and only a small plot of land, but it's walled on three sides and beach and sea on the last side. The house is raised high enough from the beach that you are still feel private when sitting on the beachfront terrace, and at night there are no people on the beach except some well known kind local fishermen. A pair of soi dogs (street dogs) that for years have refused to go elsewhere - they seems to consider themselves as residents - gladly makes noise if somebody are not welcome.

On one side, and in the back, I have a resort/hotel as neighbor, and their beachfront restaurant that normally close between 9 pm and 10 pm - during the Covid lockdown it been closed, so extremely private - but not at problem. Sometimes during high seasons they might make a BBQ-evening on the beach once a week and play music, but we are not disturbed. If they occasionally makes a party they will often invite us for a buffet in return of playing late live music.

On the other side is a private villa that for a decade belonged to a British lawyer, but recently have been sold. The new owners could be little noisy with late party before Covid, but luckily some Thais in the neighborhood complained to the police that sorted out the matter.

I do have CCTV-cameras, but with a hotel with 24-hour reception as neighbor, and with the house being at the end of a private road, I feel very secure. I live on an southern Thai tourist island, and I feel more secure here - I'm often out partying in the nightlife (when there is a nightlife) - than I felt in some larger town-areas in my home country. The benefits staying in a tourist areas is that there are more police 24/7, who gladly looks after everybody, and you easily can get almost everything you are used to from your home country. The list of benefits in my opinion is long, but also includes the safety of easy access to a number of hospitals, should that be needed.

We are all different, so what I feel is great and safe, you might have a different opinion. The best advise before choosing to settle somewhere is the get around to potential places of interest and stay there for a while - preferably also in different seasons, rainy season can be a surprise some places - one's own experiences are so much better than recommendations and photos; however, this is what my afternoon view looks like, now that photos are shared by various posters...

w500_IMG_5679c+e.jpg

I live a very pleasant peaceful, happy life on a paradise island...????

• Like 2

I live on a small no through road, only 7 houses, my laptop is the only thing to me of value, yes there are dogs that bark but normally only if an outsider comes up our road, hardly bother to lock up unless going somewhere a long time, open workshop, never in 5 yrs had anything stolen, never feel unsafe, since my dog died the neighbour's dog has taken over, finds its way through the fence and spends most of its time at ours.  I feel much safer here than in my home country the Thai neighbours would not steal from me. no loud music, and come 9 pm all quiet, 'cept for the jungle creatures.

• Like 2

I enjoy reading about everyone's situations and definitions of "privacy".  I am of the opinion that  you will be challenged to find any place that perfectly suits your needs every day - so perhaps split your time between 2 places.  I live in a decent apartment in Chiang Mai city on weekdays, and often weekends at GF's hometown house about 80 km North.  Both have their benefits and annoyances.  In the city apartment, no one cares when i come and go or where I am going, etc.  But, I can see across the courtyard into other people's windows.  Nothing much exciting.  Can't hear the sounds of nature though. Nor see the stars because the reflections of city lights off the night sky clouds (mostly the giant LED screens outside Maya shopping mall spoil it).    When I go to the village, all the sounds of nature, dark skies with stars, rain and morning fog from Chiang Dao mountain.  Beautiful place.  Until you add the barking dogs, angle grinder cutting metal, people burning things, nosey neighbors, usual village stuff.   Never had a problem with security / theft in either place.  Despite the village having far lower population density than the city, I feel that i have more privacy in the city apartment because people have social barriers that don't exist in the village where "everyone knows everyone"