Where to get a TorRorOr in Bangkok

My car is now 7 years old, so I will need my first TorRorOr before getting my new tax sticker.

Is it just a case of driving up to a place that shows the sign, and they do it immediately, or do you usually have to make an appointment?

How long does it take?  How much does it usually cost?

Can anyone recommend a place in the Sukhumvit area (between Ploenchit and On Nut)?

Thanks.

life rule here: 

never make prior public- place appointments ; take your best guess re. documents / copies, 

just go to source facility, progress issue from there….also forget websites and forums…..

Immi-  DLT - Municipal - Hospital- Vehicle Insp. Centres - Vax Centres….. Doctor - Dentist; 

never make appointments, just GO,unless compelled by the facility process or in person once there……

assumes you are based in a civilized modern location here, where all these places are 5-20 mins drive away, consolidate these initial visits where possible……

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

life rule here: 

never make prior public- place appointments ; take your best guess re. documents / copies, 

just go to source facility, progress issue from there….also forget websites and forums…..

Immi-  DLT - Municipal - Hospital- Vehicle Insp. Centres - Vax Centres….. Doctor - Dentist; 

never make appointments, just GO,unless compelled by the facility process or in person once there……

assumes you are based in a civilized modern location here, where all these places are 5-20 mins drive away, consolidate these initial visits where possible……

Thanks, I've lived here 17 years, and I tend to agree.  However, I really just want to know where my nearest vehicle road-worthiness test place is, to avoid unnecessarily driving around looking for one.

Hopefully someone has done one recently.

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

lived here 17 years. right. odd newbie question then. 

three on Google Maps came up, simply by Googling “ vehicle inspection ploenchit”

Thanks ????; yeah, I tried that.   None of those Google hits are very accurate, with the only one that is actually a vehicle inspection place being a long way over in Rangsit.  Hopefully, someone who has got it done themselves, in the area I'm asking about, will post soon.  Pretty much what this Forum is supposed to be for.

There's one in Onnuj just past Soi 21 and the Makro on LHS if you're heading towards Pattanakarn.

Just drive in. They'll do the check and also will do your tax renewal for you if you want (for a small fee). Plus they can do the compulsory Third Party insurance if you don't have that; need it for the tax renewal. 

I forget the cost for the inspection but it's 100s not 1,000s.

1696367626_Screenshot2021-10-12at20_51_46.jpg.80a860ff065392f645128d97cc78907e.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

life rule here: 

Fail to plan, plan to fail... Time and effort spent on advance research will save time, frustration and dissapointment. But then there would be nothing to complain about ???? 

If you are talking Sukhumvit area, I assume you will be renewing your tax at the DLT on Sukhumvit road near the Bang Chak BTS, a bit further up from On-Nut?

If so, for the last few years I have got my car inspection done at a place on main Sukhumvit just before the aforementioned DLT place. I do it on the way to the DLT drive through, it takes about 30 minutes in total, including waiting and paying (few hundred baht, can't remember how much), depending on the queue of course. 

There is a big yellow sign, you cannot really miss it.

Edited by stbkk
Added last sentence.
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

life rule here: 

Completely the opposite. Just do everything properly and normally. The above advice is wrong.

• Confused 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:43 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

My car is now 7 years old, so I will need my first TorRorOr before getting my new tax sticker.

You need to look for a place displaying this sign

logotoroor.gif.ee20b1d67e09b726fab568b0b86ec817.gif

no need for appointment   might take a while if they have others in front of you

but the inspection itself is very quick   mostly they check the brakes are working,headlights,hooter and for excessive noise and smoke..my old bangers have never failed   but all the above are always in working order when I take them for a test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stbkk said:

If you are talking Sukhumvit area, I assume you will be renewing your tax at the DLT on Sukhumvit road near the Bang Chak BTS, a bit further up from On-Nut?

If so, for the last few years I have got my car inspection done at a place on main Sukhumvit just before the aforementioned DLT place. I do it on the way to the DLT drive through, it takes about 30 minutes in total, including waiting and paying (few hundred baht, can't remember how much), depending on the queue of course. 

There is a big yellow sign, you cannot really miss it.

I have been taking my car there for years too - very easy and they will also supply the mandatory insurance too if you don't already have it.

• Thanks 1

re. “proper planning” approach, for OP and other tasks, I  was getting nowhere with that method finding a replacement pool cleaner service for our great but suffering Swimming Pool… 

obvious plan recommendations, internet search, formal enquiries etc. all failed.

realised had to do something different. jumped on bike and headed down nearest main road near coast , known for water services, for manual recce search. first place I found…. Bingo. that would have worked in OP case too….especially as those places are common & standard.

3 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

just took a random family drive around my area, within 15 minutes had seen three of these signs….

point is they are literally everywhere…..and all giving identical service 

Thanks, but you really didn't need to go to the trouble - not that I have any idea or care where your area is!

Fortunately, some people have replied to my post with exactly the information I was after, and didn't feel the need to try and make 'smart' remarks.  As far as I'm concerned, the thread can be closed now.  

Edited by brewsterbudgen

3 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

brewster: apologies for any offence. glad you got it sorted .my random drive was not to find these places. not trying to be clever. would suggest such OP type specifically request responses only from people who have completed the subject activity in your zone.

Usually such requests are answered within the first few posts but the thread goes on with posters arguing. This is after all still mainly TVF.

• Like 1

neal: one of the best handle pictures here !  how are those & location downloaded here btw ?

you might add “ and Buffaloes” to your Location ! …. buffalo thing here amuses me no end……as my own handle…occurred to me that my several posted apologies and corrections are the ONLY ones I’ve seen here ! member egos generally large or what …….

It is now also available after you have the inspection done, to pay for the tax renewal online now, previously you either had to go in person to the DLT or let the inspection place handle everything for a fee. it still cost 30-40 baht extra for the DLT to mail the new tax disc to you, so maybe if your inspection place only charges 100 baht to renew it's not worth doing it yourself 

• Like 1