go-go bars gone?

elgenon

3 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Go-go Bars gone???

Fat chance!   The supply is ready and waiting.  The demand will increase when the Covid situation is "under control".

The Pandemic has been a speed bump for the Industry...  that's all. 

Of course there is reason to be pessimistic as we've never experienced anything like this before..  there are thousands of girls laying dormant up-country sitting on their money-boxes waiting for things to open up. Once their girlfriend's head to the big smoke and give the all clear, the rest will follow!

Crikey!  We've heard stories of doom and gloom for the Bar industry for years.

The Patpong Markets were supposed to have been the demise of PP1 & 2 however new concepts and reburbishments kept the bar area going!

Stickman's glass was always 'half empty'..  Soi Cowboy was supposed to get swallowed up by shopping malls and restaurants 10 years ago according to Stick.

When all the girls come back,  the Arab will turn his lights on again! 

Happy days to come!

They were already fading out before covid. They are not really places to find a girl for the night anymore thus the high bar fines. Many seem to be  money laundering joints. The glory days of Go Go bars has long gone never to return. I was in EB, TW and some of the other better ones just before the lockdown but the level of intimacy engendered in these places has been killed off by covid. Anyway there are no customers here anymore for Go Go Bars. 5 decent ones in Pattaya and one in Bangkok.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, MRToMRT said:

I think the scene was generally dying in some locales even before covid. Obviously some areas will hang on and will probably hang on for years but in general the foreign scene will contract. Last time I went to Patpong it was just a shadow of its former self. Patts is becoming something else even though its a very slow transition. Hua hin bars are being moved to less desirable location.

Patong has been dead for many many years, Soi Cowboy and Nana Road are heaving with activity or were before Covid! The government continues to underestimate how much money is spent in bars and nightclubs because most of it is not accounted for in the countries monetary system. They will never attract enough multi-millionaires to bring back the economy! The wealthy have too many nicer options and less smothering rules in better countries????

• Like 1

Covid is being used by the Government, pushed by the Rich Elite, to get rid of the side of Thailand they do not like:-  Bars and Sex tourism.  

But men will always want to have sex with pretty girl, and some will pay for the chance.

Thailand offers many prety girls with not much chance of earning a living by conventional means, so they have to turn to prostitution.  Some business men will see a chance to join the two together in the most profitable way.  Puritanical governments are not going to stop this.  Nor will Covid.

The bar scene will be back in some form.  Look at the failure of prohibition in the US.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The problem with Saphire is that the girls are fully clothed!

I agree, not my favourite, too many clothes and older girls. Guys like the club feel, I'd go for 1 large draft beer then go somewhere better like Dollhouse or Electric Blue

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, not my favourite, too many clothes and older girls. Guys like the club feel, I'd go for 1 large draft beer then go somewhere better like Dollhouse or Electric Blue

I agree. Guys go to S who aren't interested in sex. HA used to be good before it move to Soi 15 SB. W is good but gross. Beavers is good. It's a pity the G clubs except 2 have such §HÌŤÉ music banging away and worst of all sport on TV..But anyway, this vice is a thing of the past..its gone. The guilt free hedonism of Pattaya is finished. BKK finished long before covid

22 minutes ago, Mentors65 said:

The Era of the famous "old style" a gogos is mostly over since 2001 when they did the first crackdown.

Since then, if i want to see girls in Bikinis, i can walk to the beach...

Tend to agree but t things continued till 2008 in BKk and later in Pattaya. Bikinis and stupid high bar fines!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Robin said:

Covid is being used by the Government, pushed by the Rich Elite, to get rid of the side of Thailand they do not like:-  Bars and Sex tourism.  

But men will always want to have sex with pretty girl, and some will pay for the chance.

Thailand offers many prety girls with not much chance of earning a living by conventional means, so they have to turn to prostitution.  Some business men will see a chance to join the two together in the most profitable way.  Puritanical governments are not going to stop this.  Nor will Covid.

The bar scene will be back in some form.  Look at the failure of prohibition in the US.

No. Look at the successful prohibition of Go Gos, prostitution, P4P in 90% of the west. The prohibition of sex is not the same as the prohibition of sex.

29 minutes ago, Mentors65 said:

The Era of the famous "old style" a gogos is mostly over since 2001 when they did the first crackdown.

Since then, if i want to see girls in Bikinis, i can walk to the beach...

ah so you've not been to the naked agogos then? you've really missed out

54 minutes ago, Uroller said:

Patong has been dead for many many years, Soi Cowboy and Nana Road are heaving with activity or were before Covid! The government continues to underestimate how much money is spent in bars and nightclubs because most of it is not accounted for in the countries monetary system. They will never attract enough multi-millionaires to bring back the economy! The wealthy have too many nicer options and less smothering rules in better countries????

Nana Plaza has not been heaving for a decade or more. Name me one GG where the girls are naked. Soi Cowboy is busy but only Crazy Girls owned by the BIB is any good.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:38 AM, elgenon said:

Prayuth doesn't like alcohol and the Thai government and the local governments say they don't want to attract bar riffraff. They want sweet, wholesome families.

it is not about politics, it is the hard reality of the pandemic. indeed the world as we know it has changed, at least for few years, and not only in thailand.

sitting in bars the way it used to be in thailand is simply not possible now. it will take at least

a year for thailand to get fully vaccinated, and even than not sure that more waves will arrive.

TAT knows it hence the talk about families, but truth is that families never had thailand as the top

priority for their high quality holiday, and definately will not have it with the pandemic.

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Precisely. What is your point? Have you ever been to a GG bar or are you just posting from your moms basement in Sydney? Are you still in school?

What are you talking about? do you have mental issues? the point is in the posts, it's not complicated

• Like 1

It's a good question. Thailand is incredibly more prosperous than it was in the 1950s, when the World Bank recommended developing the sex trade as Thailand's best prospect for development. I don't think the kind of tourists Prayuth wants will be attracted in the numbers he wants  needs, but what do I know. Covid has so completely disrupted the old economy the future is more unpredictable than usual. There is still a large reservoir of rural poor who have been accustomed for decades, if not centuries, to sending their daughters to work in the sex trade for a few years. I'm sure the business is still operating at a reduced level everywhere in the country, and will resume in full when Covid restrictions end. Just don't know if their customer base will return.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, wprime said:

They're not going anywhere.

As long as there are poor girls who need the money, the gogo bar scene will always exist. Thaksin did more to end the gogo bar scene than Prayut by improving socioeconomic conditions in the north and the northeast. All Prayut will accomplish is making it more discrete.

I saw the T-man in Walking Street many moons ago. he was doing an interview or something. me and my buddy just walked on as normal and straight into Vixens on Soi Diamond. that was 2001 I think. good times ????

If the agogos were fading before Covid, it was because of Thailand's debt-fueled boom from 2011 to 2019. There were opportunities for gainful employment, even for poorly educated Isaan women.

Covid has devastated the Thai economy, and debt levels are at an all time high. Opportunities for those with minimal education will be similar to what they were in, say, 2000, not what they were in 2018. Thus, I think the supply of talent for the agogos will be quite substantial. The question is demand.

There may be some consolidation, but I think a few of the venues operating before Covid were going gangbusters, like Pin-up on Walking Street or the top floor bars in Nana Plaza.

It is somewhat ironic that the 'average tourist', when things open again, is likely to be exactly the type of visitor some officials claim they don't want. The single male traveler is the demographic most likely to tolerate the paperwork, Covid tests, etc. Couples and families are less likely to choose Thailand as a destination BECAUSE of the rules. Imagine a family with three kids coming....one kid tests positive for Covid....the entire family has to go off to quarantine, at their expense, for two weeks. Or one person in a couple tests positive....quarantine for two...nice vacation!

A single male traveler doesn't have a companion who can test positive, thus putting him in quarantine. If he finds a companion once in country, there is unlikely to be any contact tracing that would put him in quarantine if his short term partner happened to come down with Covid.

The drive to visit Thailand is also likely to be most powerful in males who seek companionship. People can take or leave temple visits, or at least put them off to better times with less onerous rules and requirements.  As for beaches, the world has plenty of tropical beaches, and tourists will choose venues with the fewest rules. It's the male driven by the biological imperative who will be most willing to endure the requirements.

I'm going to guess that whatever the demographic mix was pre-Covid, double the percent of single male visitors in the overall mix as soon as the country 'opens'. If visitors before were 20% single males, after re-opening make it 50%.

29 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

If the agogos were fading before Covid, it was because of Thailand's debt-fueled boom from 2011 to 2019. There were opportunities for gainful employment, even for poorly educated Isaan women.

Tough choice for the ladies, make a few k per night swilling drinks with friends and coping a few short times.

Or earn 300b for a 12 hour shift in a plastics factory.

• Like 1