go-go bars gone?

elgenon

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's incorrect, Barfly and the Novotel Lotus were there at the same time as each other, the Novotel Lotus was not built where Barfly was.  Barfly morphed into the Kangaroo Sports Bar on the same premises and closed a couple of years ago, many years after the Novotel was built in 1994.

You could be right...I was sure that I remember the Novotel being built, but seems my memory is playing tricks on me. Anyway the soi is still a shadow of its old self- was on a spiral way before Covid.

Walking Street agogos will be back but will take time, tourists on short holidays love that place, I'm sure Asians fly in for long weekends. I'm surprised the street hasn't been finished yet, they've had plenty of time.

Walking St i have 3 favourites, like everyone has, we don't need all to re-open

If I were to venture a guess about Pattaya I'd say that bars on walking street may be gone. The tiny pubs tucked away off walking street may survive for awhile but it will be tough assuming walking street goes *PG*.

I suspect the business will shift to soi bukhao, LK and whatever else has grown up there since I left in 2008.

Soi 6 will survive as well as the adjacent area.

Small beer bars group property owners will sell up if they can get their price.

Over last few years when economy was good there were fewer girls to agogo from what I understand. The bars even started using attractive contract girls which were only interested in cash not short times.

While I think some girls will be back the model has changed. Many will go to Pattaya and just freelance on phones. To this end I think bar owners are finished if still planning on bar fines. Numbers can be easily swapped.

I sad to say lived in Pattaya 2003-8 and never paid a bf save for bf a bunch of girls out of my favorite beer bar to all go drink on the beach or spend the day in Ban Sare.

I see huge issues going forward. Even back then I'd just go from gogo and beer bar to bar depending on the promotion of the evening.

As for BKK I really only know about Cowboy/ 23 and 22. Nana not been since possibly 2006. Scam and cop hassles. Patpong dead for decades. Hell 22 has been razed! They built some rubbish beer group soi 8 I think. 10b to use the toilet lol. Nope on that one. Lots of little places to drink here and there but eye candy might be sparse.

Long term I don't know how they'll survive other than to wash money.

Any recommendations for when BKK opens? Central Suk 8-22++ ?? Cheap beer, maybe even cigar area. Pub I was drinking at I'm not crazy about any more. Robinhood still ok with good specials.

Edited by Chad3000

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Go- go bars, massage parlor and other similar places of the flesh trade will, in time, rise back again like a phoenix from the Covid's ashes, these trades are just too lucrative to let them die, so be patient, it all be good again..

I suspect that these venues will come back in force, especially of the local upcountry variety - as they already have. 

Probably much more akin and important to the revival of local economies than that of the Farang-inspired counterpart. 

Sorry to hear that the artist bars on Soi 33 have closed. Starting about 28 years ago and up until 2004 or so I was a frequent customer. Especially the Rembrandt. It was a classy place (compared to anything on Cowboy or Nana). Some really spectacular women worked there. It was a good place to hang out even if you weren't necessarily interested (that night) in paying a bar fine and all of that. I had some good times there, met some really beautiful women, and I spent a ton of money there. Good times.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

If the first named 'Whisky a gogo' bar opened 'n 1947, how did they get the name from a film that wasn't released until 1949?

Ah.  Tout à fait l'énigme, n'est-ce pas?

Well, it seems that the book of (almost) the same name was released in 1947.

The book's wiki page claims:

The novel's title influenced the name of the first French discothèque, opened later in the same year of the book's publication, by Paul Pacini, ( died 12th. Dec., 2017), the Whisky à gogo, ('Gogo' meaning 'In abundance', or, 'Galore'); which, in its own turn, was influential, eleven years later, in 1958, in the naming of the Whisky a Go Go.

'Go-go dancing' dancing, (implying energetic liveliness), and its subsequent incarnations under different names, all stem from 'Whisky Galore!' 's popularizing of the word 'Galore'.

It would be nice to see something more substantial at this point, like a direct quote from the owner of the bar who picked the name, but that seems unlikely.

It's also interesting to note that in the above quote, in the second paragraph, the title of the film is used (Whisky Galore!), rather than the title of the book (Whiskey Galore).  People can't seem to stop getting things wrong about this poor book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_Galore_(novel)

Well spotted by the way.  It seems like a mistake that has been repeated in a number of articles.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I suspect the business will shift to soi bukhao, LK and whatever else has grown up there since I left in 2008.

Over last few years when economy was good there were fewer girls to agogo from what I understand.

Bars have been shifting to Buakhao and LK for years, but LK is pretty rubbish for agogos vs Walking St, Pinup agogo for example had 100+ girls in.

Treetown will be the main area on Buakhao but no agogos. Asian tourists will continue to bar fine on walking st.

People are avoiding bar fines these days, tourists probably haven't got time to avoid but expats certainly have, I haven't paid a bar fine in years

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

If I were to venture a guess about Pattaya I'd say that bars on walking street may be gone. The tiny pubs tucked away off walking street may survive for awhile but it will be tough assuming walking street goes *PG*.

Over last few years when economy was good there were fewer girls to agogo from what I understand. The bars even started using attractive contract girls which were only interested in cash not short times.

While I think some girls will be back the model has changed. Many will go to Pattaya and just freelance on phones. To this end I think bar owners are finished if still planning on bar fines. Numbers can be easily swapped.

I sad to say lived in Pattaya 2003-8 and never paid a bf save for bf a bunch of girls out of my favorite beer bar to all go drink on the beach or spend the day in Ban Sare.

I see huge issues going forward. Even back then I'd just go from gogo and beer bar to bar depending on the promotion of the evening.

As for BKK I really only know about Cowboy/ 23 and 22. Nana not been since possibly 2006. Scam and cop hassles. Patpong dead for decades. Hell 22 has been razed! They built some rubbish beer group soi 8 I think. 10b to use the toilet lol. Nope on that one. Lots of little places to drink here and there but eye candy might be sparse.

Long term I don't know how they'll survive other than to wash money.

Any recommendations for when BKK opens? Central Suk 8-22++ ?? Cheap beer, maybe even cigar area. Pub I was drinking at I'm not crazy about any more. Robinhood still ok with good specials.

Soi 11 had become the main Bangkok bar and clubs area pre-COVID, so that would be a good starting point once the bars re-open. 

Pre Covid, my regular watering hole (European run) tried to keep hookers out. It did not succeed, there was regularly a group of ladies  in their twenties who would come in, buy a small beer and try to pick up a "rich" farang. All wanted a permanent position.

International travel will never recover. The west will be wrecked by the spending that already took place and people will find their savings and fixed incomes inflated away.

So the airlines will go bust and flights will be something only rich people manage.

Higher taxes, inflation, and extreme austerity in the name of climate change means we won't see a lot of tourists. Places like Pattaya will look like ghost towns.

There are a lot of guys desperate to get back after being stuck at home for a long time. But the sex industry will be the last thing to open, as the government won't risk infections being attributed to the naughty night scene. They will use tinder and other services. But they don't need to be in Pattaya for that. Arguably, they will have more luck spreading out in the country.

So I expect the Gogos won't open.

Girls in the Gogo industry already learned to earn money online. Many don't plan to get their hands, or other things, dirty again.

• Haha 2

They reopened after the first lockdown ended last July 20...Perhaps owners of GGBs can answer. Personally  I'm afraid most won't reopen this time. However, of the 80 GGs in Pattaya only about 10 were any good...maybe less. The trend seems to be 'Gentlemen's Clubs' but they are not actually G clubs but BJ bars. 10 or more opened up around SB Soi 15 AKA Soi Kangaroo last year.

Edited by The Hammer2021

3 hours ago, Smoothsailing1 said:

International travel will never recover. The west will be wrecked by the spending that already took place and people will find their savings and fixed incomes inflated away.

So the airlines will go bust and flights will be something only rich people manage.

Higher taxes, inflation, and extreme austerity in the name of climate change means we won't see a lot of tourists. Places like Pattaya will look like ghost towns.

There are a lot of guys desperate to get back after being stuck at home for a long time. But the sex industry will be the last thing to open, as the government won't risk infections being attributed to the naughty night scene. They will use tinder and other services. But they don't need to be in Pattaya for that. Arguably, they will have more luck spreading out in the country.

So I expect the Gogos won't open.

Girls in the Gogo industry already learned to earn money online. Many don't plan to get their hands, or other things, dirty again.

You seem to be depressed

• Haha 2

Go-Go glory days are over, but they'll be back. IMO they were in decline by their own doing years before Covid. 200 baht beers, steep barfines and overpriced girls very much in need of "baditude" adjustment. HOWEVER, they could regain alot of appeal (for us) once they initially reopen, as it will be a "buyer's market" for awhile. When it becomes a "seller's market" again...I'm OUT again. ????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, elgenon said:

Do you guys think the era of the go-go bar is over?

Some will go some will remain, it's all about location.

Certain areas have nothing else to offer, others have evolved into other attractions.

They want to have the sex stories during state( and Business) visits to cease being told. My guess is top brass and rich people visit Washington/London/Berlin and have falang <deleted> that can't wait to tell about their experiences in the Red Light Districts. I'd think those encounters would get old quick and lead to a loss of face. The rich and powerful are tired of those escapades being told time and again during their visits to the  West.

I read all this and smiled. Two groups seem to be prevalent a) I don't want them to close or change to happen and b) the inevitable decline has already begun.

Look on the bright side, before its completely dead (go-gos) most of you will also be dead or too old to be bothered about it anymore. 

I give it 5-10 years before its all gone underground and sex tourism will not be a thing because you will have a hand job machine connected to a computer and 3d goggles. Of course some "Amish" will survive believing themselves to be the embodiment of pure sex tourists of old.

21 hours ago, bbko said:

Here in Pattaya a lot of bars and go-gos are using the lockdown to remodel their places. I wouldn't too much about them going away. This isn't the middle east.

Errr, many clubs in The Middle East tend to always have a least a few expensive ladies hanging around, and the others are havens for drunk dancing. Party central. 

• Like 1

There have been many stories over the years about the Gogo Bars on Walking Street closing down and relocating inland to LK Metro and Soi Buakhao, but that's the only 'gone' that I'd say might happen. I'd guess that many of the smaller bars that were struggling to make a living before Covid will never reopen, but that will just make the big, successful Gogos even more profitable and attractive as investments. And I'm sure that the eejits running the city have an idea what the economic impact of closing down the Gogo's completely might be. All those budget hotels and cheap bar beers and restaurants frequented by the sex tourists when they're not in the Gogo's would go permanently broke, as would the infrastructure to feed and accommodate all the working girls. Basically, without a huge rebuilding and remodelling programme costing a vast amount of money, much of the area of Pattaya near the beach would stay looking like it is today, boarded up and dead. So I'd say that the Gogo Bar scene will change, maybe even evolve for the better, but the politicians know which side their khanom pang is buttered on and won't be closing it down anytime soon.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 2

This is an interesting question I think in the longer term go go bars for all sexes will return. It is interesting to note that a number of these types of bars in bangkok and Pattaya are actually owned by the police. So there is a double side to this, it is in the police interest to maintain these bars irrespective of  general opinion on the basis that when they are operating well they provide ready cash to their owners.

Edited by Optimistictoday
spelling mistake