Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

26 minutes ago, tonray said:

Just because you were unable to form a trusting bond with a Thai woman (for whatever reason) should not lead one to make rude comments about all Thai women.

Sorry, but it's true. Not all that's true but most. Sometime about Thai girls and Trust. Don't mix well.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, AndrewL said:

I get it that Thailand doesn't want to give free health care to long term visa holders. What I think they should do is add  fee to visas or visa extensions and and put visa holders on the government heath insurance scheme. You get treated like everyone else, and that's what happens if you have an accident or you don't have money. Most farang, if given a choice, would pay at the private hospitals anyway.

My daughter did a study on Thailand's heath care for her Masters in Canada. The Thai health system has a focus on stopping problems before they happen, and is surprisingly cheap and effective. Patient outcomes are similar to the private and military health system at a fraction of the cost.

As allways with all these requirements the thai government would'nt spit on you if you were on fire.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, olfu said:

I see clearly Penang waiting as Malaysia just lifted restrictions.

Will wait couple weeks to pay my real estate taxes. 

Yes...Malaysia does seem to be the best SE Asian nation for foreigners to retire to....far simpler than Thailand.....and they speak English

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new really. It was proposed and approved by the cabinet in principle months ago.

It will only affect new OA visas issued after the 1st of September.

That's what everyone (except Phuket Immigration) thought about the 400/40 rules too...but extensions now require it.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

let foreigners pay into the Thai health system - solved

That would be far more expensive for the foreigners than you imagine. You may come from a country with universal free health care, in which case good for you. But that might also make you less cognizant of just how expensive care can be if you need to pay for it, especially for those in higher age groups.

4 hours ago, Gold Star said:

3 million baht cover is also excessive. For that money, they could bring you back from the dead.

If you have a life threatening condition that requires intensive intervention or advanced surgical techniques, your treatment could end up costing over 30 million baht. Medical care is expensive.

2 hours ago, AndrewL said:

The Thai health system has a focus on stopping problems before they happen, and is surprisingly cheap and effective. Patient outcomes are similar to the private and military health system at a fraction of the cost.

I don't doubt that at all, but that's for the entire population in all age cohorts. OA applicants are (by definition) all at least 50 years old, and the vast majority never paid a single baht into the Thai system prior to applying for their visas. The math for them is much different.

• Like 2

Just now, tonray said:

Agreed...but pre-existing conditions not covered. For example, I have controlled high blood pressure with meds. My policies state that anything remotely related to HBP is not covered, including kidney disease, heart problems, stroke, etc etc. Just covered about 90% of the ailments that take down majority of older men. And your coverage was likley for 90 days, how much vs for 1 year...every year ?

Yea. pre existing conditions are tricky. I paid 1000USD for a years cover.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

let foreigners pay into the Thai health system - solved

To start paying into the Thai health system at the sprightly age of 60+ is hardly going to be cost effective for Thailand.

If, as they say, you can get insurance from your own country and not have to use their specified insurance companies,  i suspect it would offset any increase and probably work out cheaper