Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

1 minute ago, Mike KIWI said:

Yea. pre existing conditions are tricky. I paid 1000USD for a years cover.

And that was only a COVID policy, correct ? At 63 I pay currently about $2000 US for 1,000,000 baht coverage with exclusions. AT 3 million who knows , I also pay 7700 baht annually for 400/40 coverage. I sent off to Aetna a request to quote at 3 mil coverage...we'll see how much it turns out to be. If they add outpatient...that adds typically 40-50K per year to premium on top.

• Like 2

Just now, tonray said:

And that was only a COVID policy, correct ? At 63 I pay currently about $2000 US for 1,000,000 baht coverage with exclusions. AT 3 million who knows , I also pay 7700 baht annually for 400/40 coverage. I sent off to Aetna a request to quote at 3 mil coverage...we'll see how much it turns out to be. If they add outpatient...that adds typically 40-50K per year to premium on top.

My policy includes 100k USD covid cover.  I am 47 years old so premiums are a bit lower.

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I take it, in case of being ill, you have to foot the bill first, before trying to recover the hospital bill from the insurance firm? - Who in their right mind will pay a lot for such an insurance, and still having to pay when sick, with no guarantee that he will get his money reimbursed.

With these new conditions, this is a visa now which I will never apply for.

There is direct billing, of course. 

4 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Mandatory health insurance just doesn't work for those with preconditions, those of an older age, those already with good health care in their home countries, and those with enough wealth to self insure.

For me, I fit in 3 of those 4 categories, but luckily have an 'O' visa, avoiding this requirement. Many of my friends have 'O-A' visas, and fall into this trap.

3 million baht cover is also excessive. For that money, they could bring you back from the dead.

Get cancer and see how far a million will get you. Those drugs you need for years after cost the earth. 

• Like 1

It seem

It seems pretty light on the small detail, you have always been able to use a foreign policy for the insurance, but only for the initial 2 years after that you had to use a Thai insurer from an approved list, to me it seems unlikely that you only need the 3 million for the first year then 400 000 would do for the following years, guess we will see in time, perhaps the non o retirement is the better option 

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've got no idea if there's any substance to this news report, but for what it's worth, I've always thought the required 400,000 baht for in-patient care was ridiculously low while the required 40,000 baht for out-patient care was ridiculously petty (or simply unnecessary). I hope they get rid of the latter while increasing the former.

I can only speak of experience (it is not ridiculously low) last year had surgery, stayed in luxurious private room for 6 nights, all doctors fees and medicine. This was at the well known, most expensive hospital in Bangkok and it did not come close to 400,000 baht

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewL said:

I get it that Thailand doesn't want to give free health care to long term visa holders. What I think they should do is add  fee to visas or visa extensions and and put visa holders on the government heath insurance scheme. You get treated like everyone else, and that's what happens if you have an accident or you don't have money. Most farang, if given a choice, would pay at the private hospitals anyway.

My daughter did a study on Thailand's heath care for her Masters in Canada. The Thai health system has a focus on stopping problems before they happen, and is surprisingly cheap and effective. Patient outcomes are similar to the private and military health system at a fraction of the cost.

"The Thai health system has a focus on stopping problems before they happen, and is surprisingly cheap and effective."

Try telling that to the guy who went to a private hospital on Koh Samui a few years back after a minor accident and they were going to charge him 19,000 baht (NINETEEN THOUSAND!) for 1 (ONE!) stitch in a cut finger! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The prospect of spending 8 months here as a tourist (yeah...that old visa run nonsense again), 3 months in Malaysia and 1 month back in the USA for a new tourist visa is looking increasingly like my future. But it also means...no condo purchase and I may hold off on auto buying until we see where this goes....PITA again

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vinci said:

(Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha) he aint from immigration department, until it confirm on https://www.immigration.go.th, it just gibberish, he's just lobbying for the healthcare industry

3mB just in case you need 3 heart bypass surgeries in a year. I don't think excessive and unnecessary insurance costs for foreigners are going to help the Thai healthcare industry. 

• Thanks 1

AETNA posted an advertisement on ASEAN NOW about this and it also stated that this will also apply to extensions of stay for O-A visa holders effective from 1 October 2022.

I sent a copy of their ad to my health insurance company to ascertain if they new anything about this and they've heard nothing.

I guess we just wait for something official to be published instead of guessing, and posting comments that are not based on facts as is the want with many people in this forum.

• Like 2

I first saw this on an Advertorial, as they are known here. With no opportunity to respond.

won't be doing anything until it's in either the Royal Gazette or a published Police Order.

I think it's a good idea, mind. As the previous 40,000/400,000 was a rubbish number, due to dual pricing.

39 minutes ago, tonray said:

Agreed...but pre-existing conditions not covered. For example, I have controlled high blood pressure with meds. My policies state that anything remotely related to HBP is not covered, including kidney disease, heart problems, stroke, etc etc. Just covered about 90% of the ailments that take down majority of older men. And your coverage was likley for 90 days, how much vs for 1 year...every year ?

I was loaded an extra 15% on my premium for HBP.  BP medication not covered, they will however cover for any illness/problems related to HBP during coverage period. 

It's no coincidence that the previous 400k insurance requirement for O-A visa was the same amount you needed to keep in the bank for a retirement extension (presumably so you could afford your medical bills).

Expect to see the requirement of 400k in the bank for other long stay types to increase soon, it's long overdue.

I doubt they will apply it to Elite Visa's, the thinking goes that they can afford any hospital bill, but expect to see the cost of obtaining PE visa increase.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Tracy said:

I think it's a good idea, mind. As the previous 40,000/400,000 was a rubbish number, due to dual pricing.

It is still the same 40k/400k baht insurance requirement. The only thing new is the $100,000 covid 19 insurance that has been required for entry for about a year and a half.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

let foreigners pay into the Thai health system - solved

When l was working, l used to be in the Social security system but as soon as l stopped work l was given 6 months extension and then you can get no coverage from S S. l even tried to get on the B400 a month scheme that SS has but this is only for Thais.

11 hours ago, olfu said:

I see clearly Penang waiting as Malaysia just lifted restrictions.

Will wait couple weeks to pay my real estate taxes. 

What is the current cost for a Malaysian retirement visa?  It used to be very very expensive and was under review. 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Thai insurance companies need bailing pout, some are so cash-struck they are reneging on some Covid payments.

Ahhh, so that's why they're opening it up to overseas companies, cunning :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1