Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

This is about compulsory health insurance for O-A visa applicants. Something you're not eligible for.

The insurance you bought (covid?) is not a reasonable comparison to the subject matter here relating to retirees.

I was talking about the insurance policy i had to buy to get my non immigrant  O visa.  My kids mum is Thai. The policy is the same policy that retirees need.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, AndrewL said:

The Thai health system has a focus on stopping problems before they happen,

Where did this idea come from. Go to a Thai hospital or Doctor and they just prescribe a few (lot) of medicines, no advice about a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Where did this idea come from. Go to a Thai hospital or Doctor and they just prescribe a few (lot) of medicines, no advice about a healthy lifestyle.

what they meant to say is 'stopping billing problems before they happen by keeping your passport until you pay'

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

And charge them at inflated prices. The same medicines you can buy at a pharmacy at a fraction of the hospital price. 

I have found that the Goevernment hospitals are not too bad at pricing, but yes, local pharmacy is good IF the hospital with give you the prescription.

And as for the number of meds they prescribe, we use to say 'Throw enough 5hit and some of it will stick'   LOL

10 hours ago, nightfox said:

Are non-immigrant (O-A) visas based on retirement or marriage?

Retirement, which is why I keep my Non-O marriage visa even though many of my married foreign friends think having a retirement visa is easier than a marriage one.

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Retirement, which is why I keep my Non-O marriage visa even though many of my married foreign friends think having a retirement visa is easier than a marriage one.

Or get a Non-O based on retirement, as many of us have.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

I guess the puzzling part is 1) will this be applied to OA extensions also and if so, 2) why only OA extensions and not all 1 year extensions ?

Stop giving them ideas.......................!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, olfu said:

I see it more and more how Thailand trying to get rid of farangs. 

When the country's health minister refers to us as "f***ing farangs" and "dirty farangs, " that pretty much sums up what they think of us.

You'll have to Google it yourself, the source is one we can't post here.

1 minute ago, Grusa said:

Stop giving them ideas.......................!

In actuality, increasing the pool of available insured expats would reduce rates so they might be more affordable. Right now, underwriting is based upon a smal pool of OA visa holders/extenders, which does little to protect the Thai medical system from being stiffed and does nothing to protect the expats who must use massive deductibles to buy the 'visa' policy.

• Haha 1

Just now, Time Traveller said:

Wasn't the whole point of the 800k / 400k baht bank deposit to be evidence that the foreign visa holder could pay for things like medical care ?

yeah...except that if you need to spend it in an emergency you violate the terms of the extension...it's all ridiculous without any thought or analysis.

• Like 2

Western medical cover for health/travel insurance far exceeds this. In the UK it is usually £10million or sometimes £5million. I just re-entered (O visa ext.) with Emirates inclusive insurance which has $500,000 = 16.5million thb which still far exceeds this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Mandatory health insurance just doesn't work for those with preconditions, those of an older age, those already with good health care in their home countries, and those with enough wealth to self insure.

For me, I fit in 3 of those 4 categories, but luckily have an 'O' visa, avoiding this requirement. Many of my friends have 'O-A' visas, and fall into this trap.

3 million baht cover is also excessive. For that money, they could bring you back from the dead

‘3 million baht cover is also excessive. For that money, they could bring you back from the dead’

I think that depends upon which rip-off hospital you go to..

• Like 2