Non-immigrant OA visa applicants required to have ฿3m health insurance

Bottom line for me if it's required when I do my extension next year and I cannot get away to switch (which might be shooting one's self in the foot because if they add it to O visa extensions also...by the time it happens may be too old to qualify...catch22), I will likely dump my real Aeatna policy (which excludes many things preexisting but is real insurance) for a cheaper OA LMG policy which covers nothing..but is affordable. SMH....again

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

In the article it reads like it is a given. However, both, tourist numbers, and number of applicants for this visa may be way below officials' expectations. Still a chance that they'll do a U-turn...

Would I be suspicious if I thought the whole idea of printing this story is to give the owners of this forum another opportunity to advertise Aetna, in the form of a link which looks like it is part of the story, and no doubt get some commission from Aetna.

2 hours ago, jwbrit said:

3mB just in case you need 3 heart bypass surgeries in a year. I don't think excessive and unnecessary insurance costs for foreigners are going to help the Thai healthcare industry. 

It will if they mandate that the policies for health cover should be with Thai resident insurance companies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Would I be suspicious if I thought the whole idea of printing this story is to give the owners of this forum another opportunity to advertise Aetna, in the form of a link which looks like it is part of the story, and no doubt get some commission from Aetna.

Not just Aetna though, AA and LMG are on board also.

8B092CEA-FDEB-48ED-8307-0647A806003F.thumb.jpeg.ba25dbe6a2727b8e3833c6acebc711fc.jpeg

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I can only speak of experience (it is not ridiculously low) last year had surgery, stayed in luxurious private room for 6 nights, all doctors fees and medicine. This was at the well known, most expensive hospital in Bangkok and it did not come close to 400,000 baht

That seems quite cheap.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"According to the Thai Immigration Bureau and the Department of Consular Affairs, 3,768 foreigners were granted non-immigrant visas last and this year."

Guess, they won't get many more  

How many were O-A? The others are irrelevant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Regardless of whether it's going to be implemented or not, it seems like a perfectly reasonable requirement for people staying in TH mid- to long-term.

Clearly an issue for some washouts, but a no-brainer for anyone with a sliver of a gray cell.

The trolls are out today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why add to the anxieties of non-Thais unlucky enough to find themselves living in Thailand? 

The author should state that these are thoughts of one minister and not govt policy.

The only merit is that it gives yet another warning to non-Thais that they should start to make plans to quit the country.

Edited by cape
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

If one cannot afford insurance they most certainly cannot afford fall ill.

Not seeing any downsides to this requirement myself.

How about the companies don't pay out?  Just this week yet another Thai insurance company refused to pay out Covid claims. Earlier in the year, insurance companies just up and ended Covid policies. Insurance here is a scam. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They only want foreigners who stay a week or two.

This is a long way from the truth.

Thailand has openly stated now, on many occasions, that they are looking for a new kind of Tourist, and not just the 2 week Millionaires.

The TAT are looking and " Luring " the wealthy that think things such as this are just a pain in the rear, and dont care how much it will cost them.

As is the way, Thailand wants it all, and then some.

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why not get a single entry Non O, come to Thailand and see an agent. Just a thought.

Why attempt to avoid something that you might well need as you get older. Common sense tells you that you need health insurance as you get older. If you can’t afford it, well then you shouldn’t really be here.

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

What is the current cost for a Malaysian retirement visa?  It used to be very very expensive and was under review. 

Under the new requirements, MM2H applicants must have a minimum of RM1mil ($240,000) in a Malaysian fixed deposits (FD), and an increase from RM150,000 for applicants above 50 years old, and RM300,000 for those 50 years old and below.

Applicants must also have an offshore income of at least RM40,000 ($9600) a month, compared with RM10,000 previously.   https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2021/10/05/hamzah-easing-of-rules-for-existing-mm2h-holders

I have an O/A visa with a Thai wife.  I got it last year and was told when this first came out a number of months ago by the immigrations department that it doesn't effect me because I am married.  I do hope this is true.  I know others with an O/A marriage who do not need the insurance.  I wish I could get some good answers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I have an O/A visa with a Thai wife.  I got it last year and was told when this first came out a number of months ago by the immigrations department that it doesn't effect me because I am married.  I do hope this is true.  I know others with an O/A marriage who do not need the insurance.  I wish I could get some good answers.

There is no such visa as an OA marriage, OA visas are retirement visas, there is a non o marriage and a non o retirement, as well as an ox retirement visa

4 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

There is no OA visa based upon marriage. You apparently have extended the one year entry it allowed based upon marriage to a Thai. No insurance is required for a extension based upon marriage.

If you were to apply for a extension based upon retirement you would need to prove you have insurance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

O visa based on marriage and your free from the insurance requirements, but OA based upon retirement well then Bobs your uncle.  Seems a little discriminatory to me, but then it is what it is.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The is no OA visa based upon marriage. You apparently have extended the one year entry it allowed based upon marriage to a Thai. No insurance is required for a extension based upon marriage.

If you were to apply for a extension based upon retirement you would need to prove you have insurance.

I do have an O/A and did all the paper work for a visa. 4000,00 in the bank.  T he visa application required the marriage license, pictures of the family a, copies of the house registration and wife id, and a number of other ideas I can't remember.  The passport should the day and had THAI Wife printed on the passport.  I know you can have an O/A for marriage.  Also had immigrations come to my house, talk to neighbors.

As far as I am aware ,this is for first time applications only and not for extensions of stay once in possession of the visa  . It also puzzles me as why this does not also apply to the "O" visa application . The disparity in medical/health insurance requirements between these two visas needs "sorting out " !!!!

• Sad 1

I was told about this Change Wattana a few weeks ago when doing an extension. I was also told it would not apply to Non-O and I should consider swapping visas in the future. However as I already have "proper" health insurance it makes the O-A one step easier for me.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1